Director's Cup Standings | The Boneyard

Director's Cup Standings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Director's Cup Standings...January 2014

UConn tied for #29

(This will change some after spring sports are in...I suspect UConn will move up)

1 Stanford Pac 12 2
2 Michigan State Big Ten
3 Florida State ACC
4 North Carolina ACC
5 Virginia ACC
6 Penn State Big Ten
6 Wisconsin Big Ten
8 Notre Dame ACC
9 Duke ACC
10 Colorado Pac 12
11 BYU WCC
12 Washington Pac 12
13 Michigan Big Ten
14 Oregon Pac 12
15 USC Pac 12
16 UCLA Pac 12
17 New Mexico
18 Georgetown Big East
19 Arkansas SEC
20 Providence Big East
21 Maryland ACC
21 Texas A&M SEC
23 Texas Big 12
24 Oklahoma State Big 12
25 Indiana Big Ten
26 Syracuse ACC
27 Wake Forest ACC
28 Arizona Pac 12
29 Florida SEC
29 UConn AAC

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm waiting for our UVa visitor to tell us that the top 28 are all that really matter, after that there is no difference between #29 and #129 ;).

Thanks for sharing.

Reaction Score
I'm waiting for our UVa visitor to tell us that the top 28 are all that really matter, after that there is no difference between #29 and #129 ;).

Thanks for sharing.

I'll go top 50 here as well. Not much difference between 60 and 129.

But I really only use the June version after the entire season. It's fun to follow through the season as it updates, but the end of year version is the true measure. This is the version after the fall sports. We have winter sports and spring sports to go.

Reaction Score
UConn has the most well rounded athletics program in the AAC by far. Now we just need football to heal up.

Interesting that so many private schools are ranked high.

Reaction Score
Providence and Georgetown are above us? Are stupidity and unwarranted arrogance sports now?

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
The Director's Cup is horsecrap--it's won by Stanford year after monotonous year and is clearly a proxy for how much money they spend.

The Capital One Cup is the interesting one, and there UConn is 36th in the men's cup and 12th in the women's.

Reaction Score

Thanks for sharing.

Maryland made the cut. Woo hoo! Even through all the dumpster fires.:p

Reaction Score
I looked up the full list on the Internet. Auburn is #50. Iowa State is #51. Iowa State just missed out in being in the top 50, but they are doing pretty well in the NCAA tournament. We'll have to see if it's enough to bump them up to the top 50. Right now, they are on the wrong side of the railroad tracks and Auburn is on the right side of the railroad tracks. If I were Auburn, I'd be sweating it out right now, because Iowa State might just knock them down to #51 and out of the list of important schools.

Ohio State is #69! They are losing to schools like Butler (#55), Dartmouth (#56), and Southeastern Louisiana (#65). That can't be making the alumni happy. It will be interesting to see if they can pull theirselves together and improve their ranking.

Reaction Score
2014 VISA Platinum Cup (through March 15)

1. Connecticut
2. Notre Dame
3. USC
4. Texas
5. Ohio State
6. UCLA
7. Michigan
8. North Carolina
9. Florida
10. Michigan State

pj

Reaction Score
2014 VISA Platinum Cup (through March 15)

1. Connecticut
2. Notre Dame
3. USC
4. Texas
5. Ohio State
6. UCLA
7. Michigan
8. North Carolina
9. Florida
10. Michigan State

This is clearly the only true measure of athletic excellence. What is it?

Reaction Score
I looked up the full list on the Internet. Auburn is #50. Iowa State is #51. Iowa State just missed out in being in the top 50, but they are doing pretty well in the NCAA tournament. We'll have to see if it's enough to bump them up to the top 50. Right now, they are on the wrong side of the railroad tracks and Auburn is on the right side of the railroad tracks. If I were Auburn, I'd be sweating it out right now, because Iowa State might just knock them down to #51 and out of the list of important schools.

Ohio State is #69! They are losing to schools like Butler (#55), Dartmouth (#56), and Southeastern Louisiana (#65). That can't be making the alumni happy. It will be interesting to see if they can pull theirselves together and improve their ranking.

No. We (Ohio State) are not happy. However, when our football program does not play a key component of the game known as defense well and our basketball program does not play a key component of the game known as offense well, then like this happens.

Reaction Score
This is clearly the only true measure of athletic excellence. What is it?

Yes, I agree. The VISA Platinum Cup is the best ranking system. You can tell just by looking at the list.

The Director's Cup and Capital One Cup only take into account 40 or 50 sports. They don't cover everything. That's where the VISA Platinum Cup is a major improvement. It's a lot fairer. It calculates in 784 different sports. It also includes intramurals. Those other cups don't take into sports like horseshoes, bocce ball, or cheerleading. I was playing snow football with some guys in a fraternity in February. That is probably calculated into our ranking somehow.

Reaction Score
No. We (Ohio State) are not happy. However, when our football program does not play a key component of the game known as defense well and our basketball program does not play a key component of the game known as offense well, then like this happens.

The important thing is to keep a watch on the ranking and make sure that it doesn't get too low. If you don't, the Big Ten might kick you out and replace you with us. After all, we are number 1 in the VISA Platinum Cup rankings, although you are still holding up there pretty well at #5.

Reaction Score
The important thing is to keep a watch on the ranking and make sure that it doesn't get too low. If you don't, the Big Ten might kick you out and replace you with us. After all, we are number 1 in the VISA Platinum Cup rankings, although you are still holding up there pretty well at #5.

So we got that goin' for us, which is nice.

untitled.png

Reaction Score
I believe the Director's Cup combines men's and women's sports to generate the ranking. Now I don't want to mess with the mojo by making predictions, but I suspect UConn moves up after basketball season.

Reaction Score
UConn has the most well rounded athletics program in the AAC by far. Now we just need football to heal up.

Interesting that so many private schools are ranked high.
Private schools love sports lax, soccer, swimming, tennis, etc and that helps in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom