DiMauro's Column

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
from The Day. http://www.theday.com/article/20130220/SPORT01/302209957

Pretty honest and accurate assessment of where things stand today:

But here we are, Feb. 20, and the UConn women are a pretender. Period. This season has been more failure than success, based on the following: the aforementioned home losses, the alarming regression of freshman Breanna Stewart and the general lack of anything productive in big games from Caroline Doty.
* * *​

How bad has Doty been? Digest the following numbers from Carl Adamec, the dean of UConn beat writers:

In Doty's last three games against Baylor: 58 minutes, zero points.
In Doty's last four games against Notre Dame, 82 minutes, zero points.

* * *​
Notre Dame is beatable. So is Baylor, believe it or not. But not if both those teams can pick and choose which UConn players to guard. Stewart and Doty have so much more to give. They have seven weeks left. It's time.

Reaction Score
I only PARTIALLY agree with that assessment of Doty. The writers fall into the trap that the only measure of a players worth is points scored and then they perpetuate that very limited view.

Further, I strongly disagree with "pretenders" and "failure". I'm pretty sure over 330 Division 1 Womens Basketball Teams would be thrilled to be in the place the Huskies are.
Sure the goal is national championship - just like the goal is perfection. If you only achieve excellent, are you a failure?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
For better or worse, I can't be shaken of my view that Doty is doing all and the best she can under her physical circumstances.
Think of the attempted steal, the game before or the lurch to the basket, the game before that.
Her mind is telling her one thing, the realities of her body dictate another.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
And although Cat will scream, the same thing could be said for Faris (esp against Notre Dame and Baylor).

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
from The Day. http://www.theday.com/article/20130220/SPORT01/302209957

Pretty honest and accurate assessment of where things stand today:

But here we are, Feb. 20, and the UConn women are a pretender. Period. This season has been more failure than success, based on the following: the aforementioned home losses, the alarming regression of freshman Breanna Stewart and the general lack of anything productive in big games from Caroline Doty.
* * *​

How bad has Doty been? Digest the following numbers from Carl Adamec, the dean of UConn beat writers:

In Doty's last three games against Baylor: 58 minutes, zero points.
In Doty's last four games against Notre Dame, 82 minutes, zero points.

* * *​
Notre Dame is beatable. So is Baylor, believe it or not. But not if both those teams can pick and choose which UConn players to guard. Stewart and Doty have so much more to give. They have seven weeks left. It's time.
I can't agree that this is a "pretty? (my question mark) accurate assessment of where things stand today" This team is 24-2. We lost 1 game by a point and 1 game by 6 points. That makes this team a 'failure' and 'pretender'? That's ludicrous. The way this team is going, they'll only get to the final 4 again...at a minimum. This team has beaten two teams with legitimate final 4 aspirations; Stanford and Duke (before Gray's injury). Do they have problems? Absolutely. Are they a "failure and pretender?" Absolutely not.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
DiMauro is one of my favorites because he can be depended on to tell it like it is.

I think the "pretender" and "failure" was a typical DiMauro poke at UConn fans that expect (demand) perfection. Just like the poke he took at the fans that think beating up on a "bowser" is proof of the team's perfection.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I think the "pretender" and "failure" was a typical DiMauro poke at UConn fans that expect (demand) perfection. Just like the poke he took at the fans that think beating up on a "bowser" is proof of the team's perfection.

Really? A poke at fans? Bull. It's a full bore dismissal of the team's accomplishments. Sometimes other teams are better -- beatable, but also better. He seems rather infected with the ridiculous expectations you attribute to certain fans.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Hmmm. I don't know about that. In reading the entire article there seemed to me to be a whiny, entitled quality to it, directed more at players than fans, a tone more befitting pros or male college basketball than female college athletics. This may be indeed writing it as he sees it, which for those who agree with his expectations is writing it as it is.

No matter. Most people did not expect us to be better than a team that was perfect last season returning all its starters. If we lose to Notre Dame in a couple weeks he can write another article like this as he sees it; if we beat them instead then I'm sure he'll write one full of contrition.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I can't agree that this is a "pretty? (my question mark) accurate assessment of where things stand today" This team is 24-2. We lost 1 game by a point and 1 game by 6 points. That makes this team a 'failure' and 'pretender'? That's ludicrous. The way this team is going, they'll only get to the final 4 again...at a minimum. This team has beaten two teams with legitimate final 4 aspirations; Stanford and Duke (before Gray's injury). Do they have problems? Absolutely. Are they a "failure and pretender?" Absolutely not.

Mike has identified some problem areas and attracted attention by his choice of words like "pretender" and "failure." But Bill is correct to point out that Mike has exaggerated the team's status as being dismal with so much of the season remaining: (1) several almost certain wins, (2) a possible revenge win vs. Notre Dame, (3) Big East Tournament, and (4) NCAA tournament as a likely #1 seed playing first four games in Storrs and Bridgeport.

I have to like a team with: Kaleena and Stefanie playing at AA level; Kelly an excellent player/defender; Bria, Morgan and Moriah emerging, and Stewart still capable of busting out (as Pope, McBride, and Mabrey have done against us).

Meanwhile, we have beaten several very good teams (Stanford, Duke, etc.) and lost to only two, #1 Baylor and #2 Notre Dame.

I still like our chances. Against anybody.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
And although Cat will scream, the same thing could be said for Faris (esp against Notre Dame and Baylor).
You really are 'off'. Her 18 points 11 rebounds 7 assists in this year's game against ND were chopped liver right? How about a win vs ND in early 2011 - where Kelly got her CAREER high 20 points, or the other game that year when UConn really struggled but Kelly got 19 points against Stanford? Last year's Final Four game vs ND? Have there been games when she didn't score a lot of points? Yeah. Other than the Duke game her freshman season when Geno made let her play 2 minutes and sat her the rest of the game, her box score has never had a lot of 0's in it. She contributes consistently and if you don't or can't see that, you sir are obviously blind and/or are looking to get a rise out of others. Which you will from me because for every one game you can show me she has not been good, I can show you 20 where she was.

Reaction Score
This is a gauntlet thrown down to two players...best not over think it...my guess is that Carolyn will pick it up and smack the man in the mouth with it (why I never choose chainmail gauntlets for my challenges)...and, in doing, set a proper example for our young Breanna...

Reaction Score
I don't pay much attention to him. His style makes me feel like he's only writing to get a reaction out of his readers, and/or to call attention to himself and make himself stand out in the Horde, rather than "telling it like it is."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Mike has identified some problem areas and attracted attention by his choice of words like "pretender" and "failure." But Bill is correct to point out that Mike has exaggerated the team's status as being dismal with so much of the season remaining: (1) several almost certain wins, (2) a possible revenge win vs. Notre Dame, (3) Big East Tournament, and (4) NCAA tournament as a likely #1 seed playing first four games in Storrs and Bridgeport.

I have to like a team with: Kaleena and Stefanie playing at AA level; Kelly an excellent player/defender; Bria, Morgan and Moriah emerging, and Stewart still capable of busting out (as Pope, McBride, and Mabrey have done against us).

Meanwhile, we have beaten several very good teams (Stanford, Duke, etc.) and lost to only two, #1 Baylor and #2 Notre Dame.

I still like our chances. Against anybody.

I wasn't at all focused on the "pretender" or "failure" comments but rather on, as you say, the (on-court) problem areas that he identified and that must be addressed if this team wants to reach the FF and have a chance against Baylor and/or ND. On those issues (which is really all I care about) DiMauro is spot on.

Chris Elsberry's column (in the clips) is tougher to read as he doesn't limit his attention to the point guard spot and getting some production from Stewart. He also includes some blunt words from KML.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is the jounalistic (and I use that term loosely) equivalent of a flaming post. He acknowledges that the UConn is going to the final four and likely to do no worse than 3rd. Hardly a failed season. Yeah they lost two close games this year, both to top 3 teams. When is that a failed season, even at Connecticut?

Doty is fair game for criticism. I prefer look at her courageous journey back from repeated injury to be a significant player on a likely final four team as inspiring.

Breanna? Well, Breanna is a freshman. Against elite competitian even good freshmen can struggle. Think of Diana's post season loss to Tennesee. If she seems less than the hype, well then the hype was too extreme because she's had an impressive season, recent struggles notwithstanding. I have no doubt that she'll be a great player for us.

DiMauro is stirring the pot looking for hits. Let's see how we do against ND in the next game before we consider writing off the the season.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The next great DiMauro column I read will be the first.
In fairness, his column about Maya at the conclusion of the 2011 season was legitimately great.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It is the jounalistic (and I use that term loosely) equivalent of a flaming post. He acknowledges that the UConn is going to the final four and likely to do no worse than 3rd. Hardly a failed season. Yeah they lost two close games this year, both to top 3 teams. When is that a failed season, even at Connecticut?

Doty is fair game for criticism. I prefer look at her courageous journey back from repeated injury to be a significant player on a likely final four team as inspiring.

Breanna? Well, Breanna is a freshman. Against elite competitian even good freshmen can struggle. Think of Diana's post season loss to Tennesee. If she seems less than the hype, well then the hype was too extreme because she's had an impressive season, recent struggles notwithstanding. I have no doubt that she'll be a great player for us.

DiMauro is stirring the pot looking for hits. Let's see how we do against ND in the next game before we consider writing off the the season.

If Stewart's struggles were comparable to Diana's as a freshman I think we'd all be a lot more optimistic about the team's chances in NO. Unfortunately it's not even close. Their personalities could not be more different. I'd settle for seeing Breanna relaxed and confident on the court and I'm sure the coaches would too.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score

I don't remember Diana losing in the post season to Tennessee!!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't remember Diana losing in the post season to Tennessee!!!

I think he meant the '01 loss to ND in which Diana shot 1-15. But this was after she carried the team to the FF as a freshman.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think he meant the '01 loss to ND in which Diana shot 1-15. But this was after she carried the team to the FF as a freshman.
Yep. In my defense, I'm old and easily confused. That said, I think that the loss was more about the loss of Shea and Abromosiva but Diana's cold shooting played a role. Interestingly, I think I read that she used that performance as big game motivation subsequently.

The takeaway though is that even the best player to play the game can be overwhelmed as a freshman. Stewart will be fine.

Reaction Score
Is it possible for people to enjoy watching the Huskies play for enjoyment of the game and not think of the players as our person entertainment center where they owe us something.
Basketball is what these players do - but it is not who they are.

CL82

Reaction Score
If Stewart's struggles were comparable to Diana's as a freshman I think we'd all be a lot more optimistic about the team's chances in NO. Unfortunately it's not even close. Their personalities could not be more different. I'd settle for seeing Breanna relaxed and confident on the court and I'm sure the coaches would too.
I agree Cat. Any comparison isn't going to be a perfect fit. While I think she's got some tweener issues, but most of her struggles are confidence issues. That can disappear as quickly as it crops up. I suspect that we'll see a break out game. That doesn't mean she'll be dominant, just that she'll find a comfortable niche. She's too skilled a player not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom