Did You Ever Get the Feeling, a Hunch... | The Boneyard

Did You Ever Get the Feeling, a Hunch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
deep down in your gut, that something unexpected, something completely unforeseen was about to happen AND IT DID?

Well, I may be wrong as could be, but I have the feeling that Saturday will see the induction of not just Moriah Jefferson and Breanna Stewart to the Huskies of Honor at Gampel, but Morgan Tuck as well.

Sure, it would be at odds with the selection 'rules' for the Huskies of Honor, but I have heard Geno say so many times that Morgan Tuck is the most important, most indispensable, most complete player on the team. Geno has said so many times that Morgan Tuck IS a first-team All-American, that Morgan absolutely deserves to be a first-team AA- no matter that the 'experts' in WCBB continue to overlook her.

I have this gut feeling I just can't shake, that Geno's thinking will prevail and that UConn will tweak the Huskies of Honor 'rules' to do the right thing so that Morgan Tuck will receive the honor she has worked so very hard to earn. And that would be beautiful.

[I know, likely won't happen, but we Tuck fans can dream. Sadly, it's probably the same wishful feeling I had when I bought that billion dollar lottery ticket.]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
deep down in your gut, that something unexpected, something completely unforeseen was about to happen AND IT DID?

Well, I may be wrong as could be, but I have the feeling that Saturday will see the induction of not just Moriah Jefferson and Breanna Stewart to the Huskies of Honor at Gampel, but Morgan Tuck as well.

Sure, it would be at odds with the selection 'rules' for the Huskies of Honor, but I have heard Geno say so many times that Morgan Tuck is the most important, most indispensable, most complete player on the team. Geno has said so many times that Morgan Tuck IS a first-team All-American, that Morgan absolutely deserves to be a first-team AA- no matter that the 'experts' in WCBB continue to overlook her.

I have this gut feeling I just can't shake, that Geno's thinking will prevail and that UConn will tweak the Huskies of Honor 'rules' to do the right thing so that Morgan Tuck will receive the honor she has worked so very hard to earn. And that would be beautiful.

[I know, likely won't happen, but we Tuck fans can dream. Sadly, it's probably the same wishful feeling I had when I bought that billion dollar lottery ticket.]
Would be nice, but don't bet the farm on it.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

And we could add to that argument (as made elsewhere) that she's only been neglected cause the deciders don't want to give UConn more than 2 members.

Reaction Score
By relying solely on the AA criterion to become a Husky of Honor and allowing that one, deciding "fact" to be judged and determined by non-UConn outsiders (and perhaps even UConn dis-likers), we are completely abdicating any UConn input in honoring our greatest.

Nobody knows better than UConn does exactly whose name should be up on that wall. UConn should celebrate those individuals WE select to honor, and not allow others to make that choice for us. Morgan should, by all objective measures, be a Husky of Honor alongside Stewie and Moriah.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As much as I admire Morgan and agree with the sentiments of the OP, it is apparent why Geno relies on a criterion other than fan affection or coaches' whims to add names to the Huskies of Honor.

Add Morgan today and in a New York minute the howls will be heard for Kelly Faris and Asjha Jones. Then Caroline Doty and Ann Strother. Jessica Moore. And so on.

However unfair it may (seem to) be for Morgan, the criterion being applied has the virtue of consistency. Stay with it.

HGN

Reaction Score
By relying solely on the AA criterion to become a Husky of Honor and allowing that one, deciding "fact" to be judged and determined by non-UConn outsiders (and perhaps even UConn dis-likers), we are completely abdicating any UConn input in honoring our greatest.

Nobody knows better than UConn does exactly whose name should be up on that wall. UConn should celebrate those individuals WE select to honor, and not allow others to make that choice for us. Morgan should, by all objective measures, be a Husky of Honor alongside Stewie and Moriah.
Rule , it may not happen this go round , but there is a possibility later. If Tuck finds herself part of 4 straight NC's and 2 Undefeated seasons as a player , UConn may just have to say she certainly deserves to be in The Huskies of Honor. Nothing like this will have ever happened before. This will have only happened to 3 (Mo , Tuck , & Stewie) players in the History of WCBB. And with the other 2 in the Huskies of Honor UConn will not deny Tuck her place among The Greats.

JMHO.

Reaction Score
Rule , it may not happen this go round , but there is a possibility later. If Tuck finds herself part of 4 straight NC's and 2 Undefeated seasons as a player , UConn may just have to say she certainly deserves to be in The Huskies of Honor. Nothing like this will have ever happened before. This will have only happened to 3 (Mo , Tuck , & Stewie) players in the History of WCBB. And with the other 2 in the Huskies of Honor UConn will not deny Tuck her place among The Greats.

JMHO.
If they open it up for a nonWBCA all American, they will have to add a lot of players, including Jones and Williams from the 2000 and 2002 championship teams. They've set the line in the sand for a number of years and are unlikely to make an exception.

Reaction Score
I like Morgan, but can someone please articulate why it is such a travesty that she is not on the wall? I'll play devil's advocate here. If she leaves after this season, she will have played in 3 seasons of games (perhaps maybe as few as 2+ seasons given how many times she's been out for a game or two or three here and there). Where is she statistically all-time? Has she been instrumental in national championship games or taken home the MOP award of any of the NCAA tournament regions? Is she part of any special statistical clubs the way Stewie and Mo are?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I like Morgan, but can someone please articulate why it is such a travesty that she is not on the wall? I'll play devil's advocate here. If she leaves after this season, she will have played in 3 seasons of games (perhaps maybe as few as 2+ seasons given how many times she's been out for a game or two or three here and there). Where is she statistically all-time? Has she been instrumental in national championship games or taken home the MOP award of any of the NCAA tournament regions? Is she part of any special statistical clubs the way Stewie and Mo are?
Because she has been the central key to this team that has made it all work. Gene has said as much. Not sure I would use travesty but the staff would say she is the key to the team's engine. Moriah is the accelerator, and Stewie is engine.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think that there is every chance she makes AA this season. It seemed to be the general view that she should have made it last year and only did not because she was on the same team with Stewie and MoJet and KML. If she somehow doesn't make it this season, then I hope she makes it in '15-17!!!

Reaction Score
Because she has been the central key to this team that has made it all work. Gene has said as much. Not sure I would use travesty but the staff would say she is the key to the team's engine. Moriah is the accelerator, and Stewie is engine.
They can say she's been the key all they want, the same way Morgan said she was definitely coming back next season, the results on the court have proven otherwise. Morgan wasn't even a central key to the first two of these past three championship teams having been buried on the bench her freshman year and injured for the second one. She was definitely a key last season and I'll say this one too, but is that enough to get on the wall? Would you say she has done more than say Jamelle or Faris who are not on the wall? I'm leaning no to that question.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They can say she's been the key all they want, the same way Morgan said she was definitely coming back next season, the results on the court have proven otherwise. Morgan wasn't even a central key to the first two of these past three championship teams having been buried on the bench her freshman year and injured for the second one. She was definitely a key last season and I'll say this one too, but is that enough to get on the wall? Would you say she has done more than say Jamelle or Faris who are not on the wall? I'm leaning no to that question.
Then you simply don't understand what you are watching.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I doubt it happens and I think it might actually 'embarrass' Morgan to be so singled out in the history of the wall.
And while we can complain about our favorites, and we do, I actually think the WBCA does a pretty darned good job with their lists year after year - it is a large enough voting pool that local and regional biases both for and against do not seem to register in the final result, and it is a well enough informed voting pool that the results do make sense each year, even while dealing with the disappointment of a favorite missing out.
Perhaps Jones and Tuck are the only two players that might have been disadvantaged by the limit of 3 from any school, but it is also possible that by limiting it to three, it insured those three did in fact all make the team. Individual voters might only have voted for three Uconn players diluting the votes for KML and Cash and resulting in only two Uconn players getting on the team in those respective years.

There really is a lot of talent out there in WCBB each year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Too bad they won't let the "yard" vote on her worthiness of being an AA. She would have been up there last year.

Reaction Score

Love the post... but, did you really pay a billion dollars for a lottery ticket?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Morgan makes first-team AA this year, which I think is more than possible, she can get on the wall even if she doesn't return. Presumably the ceremony would occur sometime next year when she can (if she's not here all the time) return to campus or the unveiling.

Reaction Score
UConn established criteria for being inducted into the Huskie Wall of fame. If Morgan attains those requirements she'll get her name and number up on the wall. The wall of fame shouldn't be like youth soccer where everyone gets a trophy. It should be reserved for a select few. Look at the baseball hall of fame, it's becoming the hall of good, and that's a shame.

Reaction Score
UConn established criteria for being inducted into the Huskie Wall of fame. If Morgan attains those requirements she'll get her name and number up on the wall. The wall of fame shouldn't be like youth soccer where everyone gets a trophy. It should be reserved for a select few. Look at the baseball hall of fame, it's becoming the hall of good, and that's a shame.

upload_2016-2-28_22-12-33.png

Reaction Score
Not sure she has done enough to make 1st team AA... her play has fallen off a bit after taking a break to rest her knee. In the last 7 games she is averaging only 6.71ppg while shooting only 33.87%. I know stats aren't everything, but I'm not sure how much consideration voters give leadership and intangibles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom