Did we get the assist coach slot filled yet? | The Boneyard

Did we get the assist coach slot filled yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sure it's been unofficially filled for a while - we just haven't heard yet

Reaction Score
Yes Dwayne Killings from Temple as new Assistant on campus today

Reaction Score
so what is dude crying about, KO is only allowed to hire from within the UConn family?

Reaction Score
I don't see any reason why UConn shouldn't consider a coach from "outside the family".

Geno does it, don't think it hurts his program.

From his bio:

"Killings, who has helped shape the Owls’ roster, directed the recruitment of unanimous First Team All-American Athletic Conference player Quenton DeCosey. Under Killings’ direction, the Owls received praise for landing two ESPN Top 100 players, Trey Lowe and Levan Shawn Alston, Jr., in the 2015 recruiting class. This helped Killings earn ESPN Honors as a Top 10 Recruiter of Non-BCS programs. In addition, in the 2013 season, Killings was invited to the NCAA’s prestigious Achieving Coaching Excellence (ACE) program, where he was put through an intensive development program for preparation of career advancement. "

Welcome to the family Dwayne

Reaction Score
Interesting choice. I was not expecting an assistant from another AAC team. It does not bother me at all that he has zero UConn ties. Everybody has been crying that we need at top recruiter on the staff and from reading his bio, it seems like the guy can recruit.

Reaction Score
worked in the dleague focused on player development, tons of experience as an assistant under two good coaches (dunphy and pat chambers), ex high d1 player and good recruiter... should be interesting. just a little awkward sniping him from an in conference foe?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Know very little about the guy. But Ollie was the perfect choice obviously, so anyone he brings on, knowing what he wants to accomplish, is fine by me. And as was already mentioned, his recruiting resume is strong. Congrats and welcome to the UCONN family, Dwayne!

Reaction Score
If true, I think this is a great hire. He's young, experienced, he can recruit, and he knows how to teach the game. I'm all in.

Reaction Score
If the guy does have some good New England connections...yes please. New England has become a pretty fertile recruiting ground with all of the nepsac programs pulling kids from all over the country.

Reaction Score
This does sound very promising actually. I was trying to think of a UConn alumnus that met the criteria and for the life of me couldn't.

Reaction Score
Dwayne Killings' resume is impressive. I was hoping Freeman would get an opportunity as an assistant, but Killings has more experience looking at his background. I'm thinking Killings will eventually warrant a Head Coaching opportunity himself. He's probably an up & comer. A lot of young coaches move around, looking to learn from numerous experienced head coaches. Ollie seems to have absorbed a lot from all his coaches. It's a great way to learn from the best. Not sure how long Killings will be here, but he seems energetic & motivated. He'll probably be a good head coach hire someday. I'm hoping Freeman gets an opportunity to coach as an assistant soon too, but he may need to shift around a bit too, but no shame in that. Hope it all works out for everyone!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
worked in the dleague focused on player development, tons of experience as an assistant under two good coaches (dunphy and pat chambers), ex high d1 player and good recruiter... should be interesting. just a little awkward sniping him from an in conference foe?

Nope. We the big dog. Let the big dog eat.

Reaction Score
Dwayne Killings' resume is impressive. I was hoping Freeman would get an opportunity as an assistant, but Killings has more experience looking at his background. I'm thinking Killings will eventually warrant a Head Coaching opportunity himself. He's probably an up & comer. A lot of young coaches move around, looking to learn from numerous experienced head coaches. Ollie seems to have absorbed a lot from all his coaches. It's a great way to learn from the best. Not sure how long Killings will be here, but he seems energetic & motivated. He'll probably be a good head coach hire someday. I'm hoping Freeman gets an opportunity to coach as an assistant soon too, but he may need to shift around a bit too, but no shame in that. Hope it all works out for everyone!

Reaction Score
IMO for his name to come up out of nowhere and be a candidate that fulfills the minimum and preferred qualifications isn't coincidental. Also, you need to be a member to access the content, but there's a thread on the premium Temple rivals board titled "Dwayne Killings" started by the moderator of the board - I don't think that is a coincidence either.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Rothstein's confirms: Killings is our new assistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom