Did [Warlick] do Enough to Hang on for Another Year at Tennessee? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Did [Warlick] do Enough to Hang on for Another Year at Tennessee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You literally made me spit out my drink with this post.....

LOL. That's funny. Tennessee, offense.

2007a0ef66a4dfbe2df002990e3c0224.jpg

Reaction Score
Syracuse has to be the hottest team I've ever seen in person. They may have had one of the best Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight series other than UCONN in history.

UCONN has some competition in the Final Four this year if all those teams stay hot.

Holly has my vote to stay.

Syracuse is the one team that scares me to be honest. They are having a once in a lifetime season, they remind me a lot of the 2013 Red Sox that way.

I'm not surprised that the Orange destroyed the Lady Volunteers at all, not when you consider the season these two teams have had.

And no, Holly Warlick will not be fired.

arch

Reaction Score
I have lived in both CT and TN and follow both school's teams fairly closely. Most CT fans overestimate the relative importance of basketball to UT. This is a football school that happens to have a good women's basketball team with some longtime and loyal fans.

The Tenn AD has his hands full right now... he won't be looking to make any big moves. By most standards, Warlick's performance has been very good. She went further in the tourney this year than any other SEC team, and her overall W/L record is still near the top of the charts. And by all accounts the AD doesn't particularly want a strong, big-name basketball coach who might give him a lot of headaches.

Holly's biggest problem seems to be recruiting. We keep hearing that TN is high on a lot of recruits' lists... but there's no prize for second place. She has to do better, or get some new assistants that can help her. Tenn will probably have to add a Juco or non-top-100 top recruit or two for next year just to make sure they have enough bodies. They lose two to graduation and one already to injury. And there could be more losses.

TN could lose Carter if she decides that her knees won't last another season. And if I was Dunbar I'd think seriously about transferring because her coach appears to have no confidence in her game and runs an offense that has almost no role for a shooter of her type. There's been a lot of web chatter about players transferring... but it might be mostly chatter. I have heard nothing concrete.

Fan reaction to the "turnaround" in Tenn's fortunes late in the season has been mixed. Some point to the Elite 8 as a big achievement and feel that if Reynolds had been able to play tonight and Graves and Carter had been healthy they would have beat Syracuse (not based on my take on the game) and maybe Washington and played UConn in the final game. Others feel that Tenn has not played up to its talent all year, was bound to lose in the tourney to the first team that could play a decent zone defense, was lucky to get the matchups they did, and are very glad the Lady Vols won't wind up getting an embarrassing shellacking at the hands of UConn. Some are optimistic about next year... all are worried and believe Holly will need a big recruiting haul from the 2017 class. Most agree that Holly is not the second coming of Pat Summitt and probably never will be. Many are realistic enough to understand that there's not a coach available who could quickly take the Lady Vols back to their glory days.

This team could be better next year... or worse. To put the current team in perspective, they lost twice to Mississippi State, plus losses to Virginia Tech, Arkansas, LSU, Alabama, and Florida. So a single digit number of losses and a top four SEC finish would be an improvement. But nothing less than a Final Four appearance is going to silence Holly Warlick's critics and satisfy the fans.

Wasn't Elzy brought in to be a super duper recruiter? Maybe that's the place for Tenn to save some money for football post game meals.
Seriously though, she's probably done a good job until last year or so.
Can't believe Tenn would spend an extra million or so on women's basketball when it could be spent on football pre game meals.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Syracuse is the one team that scares me to be honest. They are having a once in a lifetime season, they remind me a lot of the 2013 Red Sox that way.

I'm not surprised that the Orange destroyed the Lady Volunteers at all, not when you consider the season these two teams have had.

And no, Holly Warlick will not be fired.

Syracuse, should they play UConn, will get ripped to shreds. They aren't even in ND's league let alone UConn's. They have had a dream draw. They excel against teams without strong guard play, so South Carolina and Tennessee were perfect matchups for them.

On the main topic, Holly probably wasn't getting fired even if Tennessee missed the tournament altogether. She is owed too much money. Now that's she's made the elite 8 again, chances went from slim to none.

Reaction Score
On the main topic, Holly probably wasn't getting fired even if Tennessee missed the tournament altogether. She is owed too much money. Now that's she's made the elite 8 again, chances went from slim to none.

exactly

Reaction Score
I agree she will stay. However, I will also be surprised if there are not Few transfers out. Getting to the Elite 8 does not hide the fact that they have some true stars who have dramatically underperformed. Today's game again showed the lack of team play. A lot of dribbeling ending with a poor shot.

Their starting point guard had a concussion and Carter had an injured finger so their ball-handling suffered. They had to go with their freshman but she'll get better next year.

I watched the replay this afternoon and both hand injuries glancing blows to their fingers. Their point guard got hit in the jaw by Mitchell as she drove by her. Kind of freak injuries that can happen to anybody especially how hard these women play.

Add to that the hand injury to Graves and that put them at a big disadvantage.

I doubt that Diamond will transfer. She needs to commit to this program and step up next year and be the go-to scorer. The opportunity is there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Syracuse, should they play UConn, will get ripped to shreds. They aren't even in ND's league let alone UConn's. They have had a dream draw. They excel against teams without strong guard play, so South Carolina and Tennessee were perfect matchups for them.

UCONN may get blindsided like SC did...

Reaction Score
Their starting point guard had a concussion and Carter had an injured finger so their ball-handling suffered. They had to go with their freshman but she'll get better next year.

I watched the replay this afternoon and both hand injuries glancing blows to their fingers. Their point guard got hit in the jaw by Mitchell as she drove by her. Kind of freak injuries that can happen to anybody especially how hard these women play.

Add to that the hand injury to Graves and that put them at a big disadvantage.

I doubt that Diamond will transfer. She needs to commit to this program and step up next year and be the go-to scorer. The opportunity is there.

First, someone should feel free to change the title of the thread to include Holly Wharlick's proper spelling. No problem with that.

Regarding DeShields, keep in mind that she could opt out of Tennessee this fall, and go to Europe to play as a pro. Then come back next spring for her WNBA gig. It's been done before.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
UCONN may get blindsided like SC did...

Doubt it. Highly doubt it. Once you get past the initial wave of pressers, the "back end" is wide open for drives to the hoop, three-pointers in transition and/or a combination thereof. In our regular-season game against them, Michaela Mabrey (Mabrey1) had 6 three-pointers and 20 overall points against them.

Between MJ and Stewie, I can see the Huskies getting the ball upcourt in a hurry. Katie Lou's arm might fall off.... ;)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Doubt it. Highly doubt it. Once you get past the initial wave of pressers, the "back end" is wide open for drives to the hoop, three-pointers in transition and/or a combination thereof. In our regular-season game against them, Michaela Mabrey (Mabrey1) had 6 three-pointers and 20 overall points against them.

Between MJ and Stewie, I can see the Huskies getting the ball upcourt in a hurry. Katie Lou's arm might fall off.... ;)

"Get the ice bucket ready!"

Reaction Score
I try not to worry about other programs and their hiring and firing situations. But as a fan of the women's game, I believe that Warlick has done enough to come back next year. Their program took a beating this year; injuries, bad bounces here and there, and some bad play calling along with chemistry issues. Unlike anything I have seen from a once proud program. But I think having suffered through this tough season and making a strong push in the NCAA Tournament, gives her the upper hand going into the summer. I believe that she gets another run next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom