Did Uconn do enough to this off-season? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Did Uconn do enough to this off-season?

Reaction Score
I believe they did enough to obviously be in the conversation for title contending teams this year, and are extremely well positioned to be title contenders in 2026 as well. Mahaney and Reed having two years of eligibility cannot be emphasized enough imo.
I agree that we're looking at the possibility of very strong years in 2025 or 2026 at the very least.

We know that Johnson, Karaban, and Diarra will be gone after 2025 (if not sooner in Karaban's case, but my gut is he runs it back and graduates in 3.5 years), but that's pretty much it.

Our 2026 depth chart is looking like:

Nowell (Soph)
Mahaney (Senior)/Ball (Junior)
McNeeley (Soph)/Ross (Junior)
Stewart (Junior)/Abraham (Sophomore)
Reed (Senior)

plus whatever freshmen or transfers we bring in. That's basically the floor of our roster, unless any of the aforementioned guys have incredible years worthy of leaving early.

And if any of Mahaney, McNeeley, Ball, Stewart, or Reed are balling out to the point that they would consider leaving early, that would mean our 2025 season had to go very well.

Reaction Score
I agree that we're looking at the possibility of very strong years in 2025 or 2026 at the very least.

We know that Johnson, Karaban, and Diarra will be gone after 2025 (if not sooner in Karaban's case, but my gut is he runs it back and graduates in 3.5 years), but that's pretty much it.

Our 2026 depth chart is looking like:

Nowell (Soph)
Mahaney (Senior)/Ball (Junior)
McNeeley (Soph)/Ross (Junior)
Stewart (Junior)/Abraham (Sophomore)
Reed (Senior)

plus whatever freshmen or transfers we bring in. That's basically the floor of our roster, unless any of the aforementioned guys have incredible years worthy of leaving early.

And if any of Mahaney, McNeeley, Ball, Stewart, or Reed are balling out to the point that they would consider leaving early, that would mean our 2025 season had to go very well.
Pretty sure McNeely is one and done so I wouldn't count him in 2026. He might come back but if he is as good as advertised he will be gone after one year.

Reaction Score
I think he's more than capable of playing the 4 just like Karaban did. Karaban was listed at 6'7 190 in high school and McNeeley is listed as 6'7 210. The 3 and the 4 are pretty interchangeable so I feel like he'd be fine at either spot
3 and 4 interchangeable? Didn’t we have lots of angst here about AK not being able to defend big strong 4s? We need a big strong 4 more than ever without DC (and AK).

Reaction Score
3 and 4 interchangeable? Didn’t we have lots of angst here about AK not being able to defend big strong 4s? We need a big strong 4 more than ever without DC (and AK).
If AK doesn't come back it might just be Stewart with Abraham backing him up. BIg strong 4s are a dying breed in College and even the pro game. That doesn't win games normally as you need stretch 4s. Not sure who we will get this late in the cycle if Karaban decides to stay in the draft.

Reaction Score
Abraham with his defense can easily step in and play 10 minutes a game, the offense might be a work in progress but the defense is going to be there from day 1

I see your point, but only as it relates to reliable shooting. A frosh can play those minutes if you expect tough D and rebounds.
fair points. Abraham's highlight reel is nothing but dunks and wide open 3s but that's all he'll be asked to do on offense. if he can be a 3&D guy that gets out in transition then that could work for 10mpg.

Reaction Score
I thought after we lost Hawkins, Jackson and Sanogo after the 2023 title that we would struggle to replace them and/or get better. Then we put together the most dominant college team of the modern era.

So, yeah, it’s going hard to replace the 4 or 5 guys who are leaving for the NBA, but at this point I have full trust that the staff did what they get they needed to do in order to put us on the stairway to seven…

I think it’s fair to expect a squad with a similar ceiling to the 2023 squad.
FTFY

Reaction Score
If you don't know why we wouldn't investigate Coleman Hawkins, I don't know what to tell you. It's like people don't even pay attention to what Hurley says and does.

I was just using him as one example of a talented PF still available in the portal. If you want to cross him off for whatever, fine. But there are other starter-level PFs still in the portal, or at least some that probably qualify as more than "developmental", such as Jaylen Wells. That's my main point.

I think we shouldn't just immediately jump to "deep bench" if Karaban leaves, in the hope that Stewart can fill those shoes. He might, but he might not. And if he doesn't do so next year, we're going to need someone in the PF position more talented that "developmental" if we want to three-peat. I agree that if we do bring in a starter-level PF, it would ideally be someone with only one year of eligibility left so that Stewart isn't "blocked" for more than one year (which actually is a strike against Wells, who is a junior).

Here's On3's lists of still available PFs and SFs by rank, just so we can all review who is still recruitable through the portal (I included SFs because there are some on that like like Wells that are 6'8 that might provide some stretch four minutes like Karaban did):

Available PFs
Available SFs

Reaction Score
cmon, daniels was 6'9 and averaged 1.5 blocks/game. if he was our returning PF no one would be worried at all.
Yet the majority of this board was in a panic and didn't want to accept Daniels playing the 4 spot even during the championship season. I'm also not sure why you keep bringing up blocks, that's like the 15th thing we'd be looking for from the 4 spot

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
cmon, daniels was 6'9 and averaged 1.5 blocks/game. if he was our returning PF no one would be worried at all.

But he wasnt a "power" forward is the point. Nor was he a prolific rebounder averaging 4.6 a year. Although he did average 6 his junior year which is better than the 5.1 Karaban averaged this year, but metsfan above said we are short on rebounding sans Karaban.

And lets be honest. You are thinking about Junior Deandre, but you wouldve been worried about sophmore Deandre if he was the returning power forward, which is the point isnt it? Deandre got better from one year to the next, so why can't our guys here now do the same?

Reaction Score
If AK doesn't come back it might just be Stewart with Abraham backing him up. BIg strong 4s are a dying breed in College and even the pro game. That doesn't win games normally as you need stretch 4s. Not sure who we will get this late in the cycle if Karaban decides to stay in the draft.
We’d need a clone of Karl Malone in his prime.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I was just using him as one example of a talented PF still available in the portal. If you want to cross him off for whatever, fine. But there are other starter-level PFs still in the portal, or at least some that probably qualify as more than "developmental", such as Jaylen Wells. That's my main point.

I think we shouldn't just immediately jump to "deep bench" if Karaban leaves, in the hope that Stewart can fill those shoes. He might, but he might not. And if he doesn't do so next year, we're going to need someone in the PF position more talented that "developmental" if we want to three-peat. I agree that if we do bring in a starter-level PF, it would ideally be someone with only one year of eligibility left so that Stewart isn't "blocked" for more than one year (which actually is a strike against Wells, who is a junior).

Here's On3's lists of still available PFs and SFs by rank, just so we can all review who is still recruitable through the portal (I included SFs because there are some on that like like Wells that are 6'8 that might provide some stretch four minutes like Karaban did):

Available PFs
Available SFs
thanks for the links!

Reaction Score
just enjoy the ride of the 2024-2025 season with slightly lower expectations. This upcoming team will do very well, I am sure of it.
Thats what i did with the 2023-2024 season. Ill do the same next season and as far as im concerned its all gravy. We have just won BACK 2 BACK TITLES!!! Thats insane to me. I believe we will be a top 10 team all season and will win 30+ games. Even if we dont get the 3peat i am going to enjoy every second of it. If we 3peat and its a possibility im not sure what ill do lol!

Reaction Score
It's been fun to watch Calipari and Scheyer chasing veterans to bring some experience to their teams. Scheyer has lost 9 guys from this year's team and picked up two vets from Purdue and Syracuse to add to the five 5 stars and one 4 star recruit. Maybe K told him he's embarrassing himself if he doesn't start to show results from all the high powered recruits.
If you're Scheyer, are you picking up a call from K after losing 9 guys? I'd pay real dollars to listen in on the line lol.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
FTFY
Most dominant title team, probably, yes. But 2012 Kentucky (champions) and 2015 Kentucky (only1 loss, in the Final Four) are 2 teams this century I'd put up there in that realm with our 2024 team.

Reaction Score
People said that about Joey California too. These assumptions that our coach has no intention of filling Karaban's roster spot with a competent player are beyond bizarre. Our recruiting prowess has never been better than it is now, but let's not even try to find someone who can help us do something legendary. It makes no sense.
Kinda harsh, but I do agree. Losing AK would open up real minutes.

Reaction Score
Yet the majority of this board was in a panic and didn't want to accept Daniels playing the 4 spot even during the championship season. I'm also not sure why you keep bringing up blocks, that's like the 15th thing we'd be looking for from the 4 spot
By definition an elite stretch 4 should be able to stretch the floor AND guard other bigs/the rim. Our best teams had them:

AK- .8 bpg
Daniels- 1.5 bpg
Roscoe- 1.2 bpg
Charlie V- 1.7

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Big strong quick 4s bothered Alex. Stewart is going to be a defensive upgrade. Better shot blocker, much quicker. By next year probably as strong. I’m not worried about slow beefy post 4s because they won’t be able to guard our guys. Stewart can flex 3-4. I’m not sure the others can. McNeely will be a 3.

Reaction Score
By definition an elite stretch 4 should be able to stretch the floor AND guard other bigs/the rim. Our best teams had them:

AK- .8 bpg
Daniels- 1.5 bpg
Roscoe- 1.2 bpg
Charlie V- 1.7
Not sure I really agree with that, but in any event Karaban averaged 1.0 and 1.1 blocks per 40 minutes and Stewart was at 0.7 so not a huge difference in those guys for me

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom