OT: - Dickey Betts | The Boneyard

OT: Dickey Betts

Reaction Score
Never listen to Allman Brothers really but Ramblin’ Man came on during my Peloton ride last night and it stopped me in my tracks how great of a song that is. Very strange to see Dickey died not even 24 hours later.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Listening to him and Duane play off each other (really loud) is pure heaven.
Dickey named his son Duane in his honor, and you can hear hints of Dad's virtuosity on Duane Betts' new album Wild & Precious Life. The track Saints and Sinners proves the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Thanks for posting this @imno1, I hadn't heard. Just put on Live at Fillmore East in his memory.

Edit: BTW, I believe Jaimoe still lives in Bloomfield. A buddy of mine has jammed with him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
“In Memory of Elizabeth Reed” was one of my favorites. Turned out that was the name on the headstone next to where he was fooling around in the cemetery. For the last 50+ years I thought it was someone very important in his life to write such a beautiful song about.

Reaction Score
I remember when my sister brought home the album "Brothers and Sisters" when it came out. I have always loved the song "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" as well as "Blue Sky" and others.

A favorite movie of mine is "Almost Famous" and I believe that he character Russell was based on Dickey.

Reaction Score
A dear old friend of mine played with Dickie for many years in both Great Southern and the Dickie Betts Band. He also still plays in Jaimoe's Jassz Band. Anyhow he has always spoken of Dickie in glowing terms. I guess he was as good a man as he was a musician, which is saying a lot.

Reaction Score
A dear old friend of mine played with Dickie for many years in both Great Southern and the Dickie Betts Band. He also still plays in Jaimoe's Jassz Band. Anyhow he has always spoken of Dickie in glowing terms. I guess he was as good a man as he was a musician, which is saying a lot.
Jaimoe - longtime CT resident

Reaction Score
Every cover band will be playing Dickie Betts tribute songs this weekend.
I hope so. I went out to an open jam last night specifically to hear some Allman Brothers but heard none. Hopefully tonight.

Reaction Score
I absolutely loved his melodic leads and tone. I’m both sure that there have been many duos better than him and Duane Allman.

This is a nice little playlist for those of you on Spotify.

Great collection. Thank you. Too bad that Duane passed at the tender age of 24. At least Dickey lived a long life. Unfortunately, there are many instances in music of what might have been. RIP Dickey, Duane and all the rest.

Reaction Score
Like a lot of kids, in the mid-late 1970's, l got into all forms of southern rock; Skynyrd, Outlaws, CDB, MTB, ARS, ZZ Top, .38 Special, Blackfoot, Hatchet.... The Allman Brths Band was a bit of a harder sell for me as I finally began to appreciate the blues that ran through their first two albums. But I first appreciated their country leanings, which came from Betts as he steered the band a bit more after Duane's death. I'm sad that I never got to see the ABB with Dickey, but only a bit later with his replacement, wunderkind Derek Trucks (That could be an entire long story in itself). Anyway, RIP Richard Betts. You can now jam again with your ol' band mates Duane, Gregg, Barry & Butch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom