Dick Vitale article on UConn and KO | The Boneyard

Dick Vitale article on UConn and KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's consistent. Just do a search for 'duke' in anything he writes and guess what?

Anyway a complimentary article will win a few friends here. Many old-timers however, have their hands in their armpits.

Reaction Score
Okay, I admit it. I'm a defective human being.
I have a great deal of respect for the guy and enjoy his commentary, but he slobs the knob of Duke just a tad to much sometimes. That and he has picked against UConn in 1999 NC Game vs Duke as well as the 2004 National Semi Final against Duke. Guess I'm ok with him being wrong though.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He's a clown on TV, but in my years covering the team for the Daily Campus I never ran into a friendlier, more genuine person than Dickie V.

I wish him nothing but the best personally, though I still mute him whenever he's calling a game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'll give him credit for riding the MCBB bandwagon for many many years. He was a constant cheerleader/promoter back in the day when there really weren't any others.

Reaction Score
If we're gonna hate him for picking against us in the past there's a long line of media types to hate right with him. I don't hate him but he has a tendency like many to jump on the prevailing bandwagon for who's the greatest players and coaches. This makes sense because these are the schools his network basically promotes on their broadcasts. In other words he ain't Bilas. He clearly likes KO and the direction of our program and I expect more positive stuff like this piece from him in the future.

Reaction Score
If you don't like Dick Vitale, you are a defective human being.
I'd love to believe this is sarcastic, but it's insufficiently nuanced for a Fishy Sarc, so I'm going to have to go ahead and believe that Fishy means this. In unrelated news, somebody thought Vanilla Ice was tremendous, and Bob Hope actually was funny.

There are only two announcers in my 35 years of watching MCBB that have made me turn the volume to 0 - Billy Fudge Packer and Dook Vitale. Packer was intolerable because his commentary was a constant stream of pointing out what he perceived to be every mistake committed on the court. He was the Debbie Downer of announcing. Vitale is intolerable because he's exactly the opposite, with every thing coming out of his mouth being an overproduced, saccharine, excessive, exaggerated compliment of some person or some program. He's not a "cheerleader," as it were, because cheerleaders have the decency to have some sort of affiliation. He's more of a Madison avenue whore, equally pitching snake oil and snake oil remover. When I heard they sh-tcanned Packer, I considered it to be a wonderful day. When they wheel this coked up anachronism off for the last time it won't be too soon.

Reaction Score
Met him at the White Birch (now a parking lot at ESPN) in Bristol in his younger years, truly a gentlemen who will sit and talk college basketball with anyone, loves it and lives it. I know he has the Duke thing but this guy helped make this game we love what it is, like it or not. Get past the stuff many of you think of as garbage and he's a good man, a thoughtful guy! For me him doing a game is entertaining no matter………to each their own

Reaction Score
I think you can separate professional / personal in your dislike. I can't stand listening to Dickie V. I turn off any game that he's part of and have my finger on the mute button when it's a UConn game. He used to be more genuine, now it's just forced shtick.

That being said, I know many people that have had experience with Dick V. Some (parents of friends) consider him a friend while others have met him in one-off situations. I've never heard a single bad, or even neutral thing about the guy. As phoney as I find him on tv, he is supposedly that genuine off.

Reaction Score
stick vector is the consummate cliché clown

mute is not strong enough

needs to get a brain on

but not possible due to evidence guy has not had an original idea in 3-4 decades

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Dick Vitale is an American hero.

You're all haters and probably touch your pets inappropriately.

Reaction Score
"There was an element of the UConn fan base who wanted a bigger name and weren't happy about Calhoun handpicking his successor."
I disagree with this. Im fairly certain most UConn fans knew that Calhoun wasnt going to wage for someone who he thought couldnt keep us at the top level of dominance.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
aburks41 said:
"There was an element of the UConn fan base who wanted a bigger name and weren't happy about Calhoun handpicking his successor." I disagree with this. Im fairly certain most UConn fans knew that Calhoun wasnt going to wage for someone who he thought couldnt keep us at the top level of dominance.

Did you read the yard then? There was a TON of hand wringing over this.

As usual JC knows.

Reaction Score
I appreciate the positive press, but this article was to meet his quota. He clearly didn't do any research, he just had to write 200 words on college basketball. There's no insight at all.

But it's better than nothing so kudos to that.

Reaction Score
Met him at the White Birch (now a parking lot at ESPN) in Bristol in his younger years, truly a gentlemen who will sit and talk college basketball with anyone, loves it and lives it. I know he has the Duke thing but this guy helped make this game we love what it is, like it or not. Get past the stuff many of you think of as garbage and he's a good man, a thoughtful guy! For me him doing a game is entertaining no matter………to each their own

I feel bad for him. They never let him eat his pancakes at the Broken Egg in Ann Arbor. I have to give it to him. At least he tries to get out and order his pancakes like a regular human being.

Reaction Score
My father once gave me a book he wrote sometime right after 1999. It's still probably crisply minted and never opened.

He could have hid a $100 bill between each page and that money would still be in those pages after all these years. I should check to make sure but I don't know where to look for it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I appreciate the positive press, but this article was to meet his quota. He clearly didn't do any research, he just had to write 200 words on college basketball. There's no insight at all.

But it's better than nothing so kudos to that.

I doubt it was just to meet a quota. Dickie NEVER does any research. This is his typical output, who he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom