Diarra Shout Out | The Boneyard

Diarra Shout Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Kid really needs a separate thread over his performance last night and his improvement this season.

His second half was a coach's dream. Coaches talk all the time about players needing to force a coach's hand when it comes to PT and Diarra has done that this season.

Diarra has 30 assists and 11 turnovers this season. 3:1. Last year's numbers were 66 and 38 or 1.7:1.

Free throws this season are 14-16.

His defense is ferocious. That jump and grab for a steal on inbound pass, defense rebounds, etc.

He is penetrating and getting to the rim under control.

He is giving Newton a legit 10-15 minutes a game break from having to run the point.

Another feather in the cap for Hurley and his staff on what they game planned for Diarra in the off-season for improvement and even more credit to Diarra for listening to the staff and executing it.

Reaction Score
He showed leadership last night. I just hope he comes back next season to mentor Nowell and any other guards coming in. To me he's that critical for next year's success.
TN is a great example of what coming back for another season can mean.

Reaction Score
That was a great performance by Hassan. He’s really leveled up this year offensively and defensively. Just taking care of the ball more and make smart unselfish decisions. He’s a dawg. Great bench piece for us this year.

Reaction Score
HIs defense was exceptional. I loved the grab and steal off the inbounds with 1 second on the shot clock for Gonzaga. Then he had an assist to DC and a fast break layup to increase the lead to 14 late in the game. Very timely.

Reaction Score
HIs defense was exceptional. I loved the grab and steal off the inbounds with 1 second on the shot clock for Gonzaga. Then he had an assist to DC and a fast break layup to increase the lead to 14 late in the game. Very timely.
That defensive possession was crazy, he got three straight blocks/deflections. He's a really good defender and can be stifling at times. He's really improved a lot as a player from last season and he makes momentum plays.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
He's everything I had hoped he would be last year and I'm lovin' it. He's got great chemistry with Clingan too. His FT #s may come in big for us in some games and his offensive has gone from me cringing to looking forward to what he'll do with the ball in his hands.

Reaction Score
He was awesome last night. I'm a big Diarra fan, but last year the team got worse when he came in. This year, that's not the case.

The 3rd Diarra brother is the starting PF for the SCSU Owls and Scott Burrell. 6'6" and a great defender, but not much of an offensive player. Next year we should get an exhibition game against SCSU so all 3 brothers can face off.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He is looking like a great piece to a team with exceptional balance and the depth that he and players like Samson bring. Fun to watch.

Reaction Score
He's now another tool in the tool box that Hurley can go to. Newton and Spencer were not doing a good job guarding Nembhard and Hurley then rotated Castle and Diarra on him and pretty much shut him down the 2nd half. It's a huge luxury to have someone like Diarra coming off the bench. Played 19 minutes. Was that his career high minutes at UConn? Had to be at least close.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
After watching Diarra last night, I actually had the thought that he may be a starter next year. Dude plays incredibly hard and makes a positive impact while playing. I don’t like when he shoots jumpers, I feel the same way about Castle too, but the rest of their abilities are extremely beneficial to the team.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
It’s also funny how many people said that Diarra was worse than the point guard he replaced, who could barely dribble a basketball. I’m pretty sure I forgot his name on purpose but Diarra is another reason why we have a chance to repeat.
We don’t have any ball handlers that are careless with the ball, and that is extremely enjoyable to watch when you don’t have to worry about turnovers at all, ever.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He has always been an asset. While he's never been better than now, he was never as bad as the CW was trying to push.

Reaction Score
The little sequence where he threw the lob to Clingan and then on the next play ran the floor and got the tough finish in transition are two plays I'm not sure he makes last year. He gained my trust this year early. He just came out with a completely new level of confidence and execution.

Reaction Score
Kid really needs a separate thread over his performance last night and his improvement this season.

His second half was a coach's dream. Coaches talk all the time about players needing to force a coach's hand when it comes to PT and Diarra has done that this season.

Diarra has 30 assists and 11 turnovers this season. 3:1. Last year's numbers were 66 and 38 or 1.7:1.

Free throws this season are 14-16.

His defense is ferocious. That jump and grab for a steal on inbound pass, defense rebounds, etc.

He is penetrating and getting to the rim under control.

He is giving Newton a legit 10-15 minutes a game break from having to run the point.

Another feather in the cap for Hurley and his staff on what they game planned for Diarra in the off-season for improvement and even more credit to Diarra for listening to the staff and executing it.

In the Kansas game in the last few minutes when we had a chance, I really was hoping for Diarra to get a shot. Spencer wasn't 100 percent, Karaban had fouled out and everyone was guarding Newton.

Diarra was the logical choice IMO. He's done it before, but Spencer ended up talking to the shot.

I agree that Diarra should be more violent involved offensively. He also has the ability to create his own shot and is aggressive driving to the hoop.

He's an unsung hero on this team.

Reaction Score
Last year he was heavily criticized here for how reckless he was with the ball, couldn't finish at the rim, couldn't make jump shots or free throws and was only praised for his defense.

What a changed (vastly improved) player this year. Shoots better, finishes, handles better and maintains the level of the team's play whoever he comes in for.

He's exhibit #1 (or is it two or more) of how much this coaching staff does to improve a player's skills and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom