Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First part of that quote , KO DEF pushes his players to the limit . His motto is ten toes, not five.

Second part makes diamond sound like a Wisconsin lean.

I would just point out to pops that KO has promptly turned a 3 star into a legit nba prospect.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
How about this one?
Scheduling official visits:
“We should be working that out soon,” Stone said. “We’ll probably be getting out there. We’ll try and make all five hopefully before Christmas.”

Possible he doesn't decide by November 12th?

Reaction Score
How about this one?
Scheduling official visits:
“We should be working that out soon,” Stone said. “We’ll probably be getting out there. We’ll try and make all five hopefully before Christmas.”

Possible he doesn't decide by November 12th?
On Diamond's decision date:
“We’ve been really diligent with this process and we’re not going to rush it now,” Stone said. “We’re going to take our time. If it works out and we can do a November date, then fine. But if it doesn't, it’s not a priority.”

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I'd love to have this kid sign with us, but couldn't blame him for a second if he signed with his hometown school and became a local god.

YOU HEAR THAT MR. ENOCH????

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
The father likes Wisconsin for all the right reasons. Got to think that Uconn will definitely be in the running for all the same reasons. Winning is obviously something KO does well which appears to be important even though championships aren't everything. Even more important, winning without McDonald's all Americans is something KO and Uconn hostorically has done better than anyone. Got to figure that if winning is important than OK state and Maryland are in trouble. If winning with less is important we've got to be No. 1. Hope that KO can create the right chemistry.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
His father was very positive re KO in the past. I don't doubt having his son stay local would be a big plus for family, but I wonder if we are hearing his comments about Ryan because it is a Wisconsin article.

As an aside, if he were to commit to Wisconsin, how would that affect Sharma and any other bigs looking at Wisconsin? Any ideas? I don't know that we would want Sharma if we have signed Enoch.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
His father was very positive re KO in the past. I don't doubt having his son stay local would be a big plus for family, but I wonder if we are hearing his comments about Ryan because it is a Wisconsin article.

As an aside, if he were to commit to Wisconsin, how would that affect Sharma and any other bigs looking at Wisconsin? Any ideas? I don't know that we would want Sharma if we have signed Enoch.

Wisconsin has room for 4 more players and they are losing 2 bigs and don't have any big commits. They can get both Sharma and Stone though I would think they would rather get Esa Ahmad and Stone.

Reaction Score
If Wisconsin can take our good players in football why can't we take theirs in basketball? We got Caron Butler over 10 years ago, and recently Phil Nolan... why not make a 3's a charm?

Reaction Score
It's an Wisconsin biased artical
I was going to make this very point. Whenever a recruit is interviewed by someone with ties to a specific program, the article usually has a slant toward that program. With that said, I do wonder if proximity to his family, i.e. Wisconsin, will have a significant impact of him ending up a Badger. Having your family watch you play in person is a tough situation to turn down when that program is a very good one, which Wisconsin is.

I've felt for a long time that we had a better than 50% shot at landing him, but I'm beginning to feel differently after reading this article for not only the proximity reason, but also the due to a possible delay in Stone's decision. I'd love to land Stone, who seems like the more ready to contribute 5 of the lot and one that seems like an elite big to begin with, but with so many good options, I don't think KO will or even should hold off too long in pulling the trigger on the 5 he plans to offer. At what point does KO pull the trigger on Batiste? (BTW, are we no longer recruiting Koumadje? Not that I favor him over Bastiste, but it's always good to have as many irons in the fire as possible.) Of all the positions we are recruiting, I'm okay with them getting one of the less heralded bigs since we've won just about all our NCs without an elite one. Of the 3, Emeka was the only one that was a dominating 5 during that particular NC run. Jake, Hasheem and the collection of bigs last year were clearly in the serviceable category IMO. Note that I realize that Thabeet was highly regarded his final season at UConn and got drafted high, but his overall game, especially on offense, was far from elite. I think KO could develop Baste or Koumadje into a serviceable big man who can defend the post, rebound and give us enough of a modest threat close to the basket. I feel similar about 4s. We rarely if ever had an elite physical 4 that can stretch the D as well.

It's the 1s through 3s that I like us landing elite talent. Now that doesn't mean Burger-AAs. We've had some very good under-the-radar ones that JC knew would be very good, such as Lamb, Baz and Ray, to name a few. None were highly ranked, but JC knew he some something special in all of them.

Anyhow, getting back to my point, I'd be shocked if KO doesn't end up telling Stone's camp as well as a few of the other elite recruits that have UConn interest, that they're now in the first of those at a given position to say yes get's the ship and once they run out of ships to offer, UConn will no longer be an option for them. If it hasn't happened already, that message might have been give to Clarke's and Jones' camps. It's possible that KO is holding out a tad longer for Jones, but that message might have or will be delivered tomorrow during the in-home visit with him since Clarke just visited this past weekend. We can only guess if KO pressed for a commitment over the weekend or not. If Clarke simply needs more time and visits to decide, he's bought UConn more time, though history tells us the odds of a recruit committing to a program after leaving that official visit w/out a decision drops dramatically. Now that we're into the in-home and official visits, I'm okay with KO taking the bird-in-the-hand approach with many of these recruits. If there is one or maybe two that really stand above the rest, maybe it's okay to ride it out longer, but the longer it goes the bigger the risk that you end up missing out on all your targets at a given position. Getting a Batiste now over waiting and not getting any 5 in this class, might be the prudent approach. UConn has won 4 NCs operating under that MO and as much as I'd love to have a huge elite 2015 class, I'm okay with a very good one.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The longer a recruitment goes, the more it favors the home team.

Anticipating the response, "But Rudy Gay..."

Shut up.

Reaction Score

Shut up.
What about Rudy...kidding!!! :D I agree 100%. There are probably a number of reasons for this, but I think one is the hometown team tends leave an open ship for the local elite recruit since they tend to like their chances as it gets later into the recruiting season. They also are likely to find creative ways to free up a ship as well. Never seen that happen at UConn for a local kid, have we. :rolleyes:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think it's fairly simple - there is no one that Diamond Stone will run into during the course of his day that will tell him, hey, go to UConn!

But his friends, teachers, etc., etc., will all throw in for the State U.

Reaction Score
Diamond is most like a Zach Randolph with a bit of Al Jefferson. Not Elton Brand, not Jared Sullinger.

Reaction Score
Diamond is most like a Zach Randolph with a bit of Al Jefferson. Not Elton Brand, not Jared Sullinger.
Those are good comparisons. He's big, moves well for a kid his size, but I would not consider him a great athlete. Efficient around the basket, but didn't wow me with any creative post moves nor a high motor effort. In the one game I watched, he tended to stand there and did very little boxing out or physical maneuvering. He seemed to get his rebounds because he was bigger and stronger than most he faced and he simply tends to take up a lot of space wherever he's standing. :) Unless I'm mixing him up with another recruit, I thought I had heard that he had improved his conditioning, but it looked like there was still some room to improve on that. If he adds more muscle, less fat and better conditioning, he's going to be a beast at the college level. Not saying that he won't without much improvement in those areas, but based on the effort I noticed in that game, if he plays like that against some upperclassmen that are close to his size but simply want it more, he'll have his hands full and won't dominate as many think that he would. If he chooses UConn, KO will make sure he improves in those 3 areas. I have little doubt about that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Shut up.
Interesting. I would think it's just opposite. Everyday you have people telling you go hometown U. If you say yes early, everyone is happy. If you say no early, you have to deal with people who are going to ask why didn't you stay home. So it would seem like a hometown lean mught pull the trigger faster than I kid who is taking his talents elsewhere. I have no data to support that though. Just a hunch.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, given his Dad's heavy involvement in the recruiting process, he probably has a strong bias to want to see him play a lot. I must say most of his thoughts and observations are very logical and thoughtful.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, given his Dad's heavy involvement in the recruiting process, he probably has a strong bias to want to see him play a lot. I must say most of his thoughts and observations are very logical and thoughtful.
You know Chief, as much as I'd love to have him play for Connecticut, I have no problem if he decides he wants to stay home. As a parent, being able to see your kid compete in person, especially in college, is a nice luxury to have. Of course the nice thing about Connecticut is between ESPN and SNY you can pretty much catch any game you can't be at on television.

pj

Reaction Score
Those are good comparisons. He's big, moves well for a kid his size, but I would not consider him a great athlete. Efficient around the basket, but didn't wow me with any creative post moves nor a high motor effort. In the one game I watched, he tended to stand there and did very little boxing out or physical maneuvering. He seemed to get his rebounds because he was bigger and stronger than most he faced and he simply tends to take up a lot of space wherever he's standing. :) Unless I'm mixing him up with another recruit, I thought I had heard that he had improved his conditioning, but it looked like there was still some room to improve on that. If he adds more muscle, less fat and better conditioning, he's going to be a beast at the college level. Not saying that he won't without much improvement in those areas, but based on the effort I noticed in that game, if he plays like that against some upperclassmen that are close to his size but simply want it more, he'll have his hands full and won't dominate as many think that he would. If he chooses UConn, KO will make sure he improves in those 3 areas. I have little doubt about that.

Al Jefferson in high school looked more like Derrick Jones than Diamond Stone. Elton Brand and Zach Randolph are good comparisons.

Reaction Score
He's probably being pressured to stay home, but he's going to notice a lot of top guys end up at Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and UNC, and he's going to settle for Wisconsin over Uconn? Everyone is saying the right things.

I'm not buying it, at the end of the day, his parents are going to tell him go where your heart leads you and that my friends will be a white Uconn jersey with national flag blue letters.

Stone will be a Husky. You don't go to Wisconsin to win championships and become a lottery pick, it just doesn't happen.

images

Reaction Score
He is likely a one and done. No one is going to move his game significantly in 6 months. If that's his plan he can go to Wisconsin and his family can see him play. If he is looking to stay 2 years and get better, than all I can say is that Bo don't know about the nba.

Reaction Score

Quite frankly, Chief I agree with you. Are you getting anything from your sources? We need to lock down Enoch.

Reaction Score

If he's nearly as good as any of those guys, I want him badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99