Depth | The Boneyard

Depth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah but who do you sit, going to ge hard to only go 8 deep.

Reaction Score
Yeah but who do you sit, going to ge hard to only go 8 deep.

With this year's foul rules, 10 is probably more of an advantage than in the past.

Probably Facey and Olander will be the first to be squeezed when we're at full strength and not in foul trouble. But odds are we'll miss some player games to injury - and we'll get hit with foul trouble like everyone else.

First NC team went a legit nine deep every night (Mouring, Jones, Saunders, Wane off bench) with Harrison and Klaiber sometimes being the tenth.

Reaction Score
the starters Giffey Kromah and Brimah that's ur eight Samuels and Olander play when needed.

Reaction Score
I don't know why, but i find myself really wanting to see Facey getting more time. Every time he takes a shot, it's just good looking, and i want to see what he and Nolan can do with their backs to the basket. They haven't had much of a chance yet...but Nolan had a nice move on one of his 2 or 3 tries.

Reaction Score
With this year's foul rules, 10 is probably more of an advantage than in the past.

Probably Facey and Olander will be the first to be squeezed when we're at full strength and not in foul trouble. But odds are we'll miss some player games to injury - and we'll get hit with foul trouble like everyone else.

First NC team went a legit nine deep every night (Mouring, Jones, Saunders, Wane off bench) with Harrison and Klaiber sometimes being the tenth.

Counting those 2, it's 11 players.

Samuel is at risk of losing minutes if you go by this second half.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Injuries and game situations will dictate the 9,10,11 players on the team. I think it's safe to say the Giffey, Kromah and Brimah are the first three off the bench for most situations. Kromah and Giffey for their versatility and Brimah for the obvious defensive presence.

Reaction Score
I think we will see Samuel off the bench when Napier comes out. Gives back some of the ball handling we lose to help boat out.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm pretty high on Samuel - I think he has too much to offer to vanish from the rotation.

I agree, plus think he will be needed versus pressing teams when Napier is out. Kid needs a shot of confidence though. Played scared the last few minutes against Maryland.

Reaction Score
Im not a huge fan of playing ten guys. I think eventually our rotation will get narrowed down.

That is looking at it the wrong way.

Think of it as going big, going small, going fast, going best defense, going best offense, etc, etc, etc (in the words of Hugh Brenner). That means that over the season 12 guys could have meaningful roles.

Reaction Score
That is looking at it the wrong way.

Think of it as going big, going small, going fast, going defense, going scoring, etc, etc, etc (in the words of Hugh Brenner). That means that over the season 12 guys could have meaningful roles.

Shouldn't it also mean we wear down teams in the middle of the 2nd half? Seems just the opposite has happened.

Reaction Score
I don't know why, but i find myself really wanting to see Facey getting more time. Every time he takes a shot, it's just good looking, and i want to see what he and Nolan can do with their backs to the basket. They haven't had much of a chance yet...but Nolan had a nice move on one of his 2 or 3 tries.
I want to see what he and Nolan can do when our opponent misses a shot. If Facey can rebound, he'll play.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If you want to have your top 8 ready to play extended minutes in March, you need to be playing 10 or 11 in December, January and February.

I was OK with playing Napier so many minutes tonight because he was going for a triple double, but he needs a couple of nights under 30 to compensate. We need to keep the starter's minutes down so they can play at full speed when they are in and so they can reduce their injury risk.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you want to have your top 8 ready to play extended minutes in March, you need to be playing 10 or 11 in December, January and February.

I was OK with playing Napier so many minutes tonight because he was going for a triple double, but he needs a couple of nights under 30 to compensate. We need to keep the starter's minutes down so they can play at full speed when they are in and so they can reduce their injury risk.

It really seemed like Napier and Boatright were going out of their way to make sure everyone was getting shots and getting involved in the flow of the game.
Both of them could have dribble/drived and dished off when big man help came. Every time. But that doesn't help the team develop and doesn't help the other players grow in to their roles.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Shouldn't it also mean we wear down teams in the middle of the 2nd half? Seems just the opposite has happened.

That has as much to do with the players developing the killer instinct to step on the opponent's throat.

I was ticked off that the team let Turtle off the hook and I was hoping UConn would bury Yale.

It's important from a season long point of view to make the blowouts stick. It lets players rest and puts pressure on future opponents.

Putting the finishing touches on blowouts is like having a great set up man closer on baseball. It shortens the game.

C

Chief00

1999 team had Jake, Freeman , Saunders and Wane on the boards with guys like Jones and Moore who would fight for the ball. Rip could also rebound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom