Defense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Defense

Reaction Score
The difference in the two positions of LBs' play Y-Y is huge. What effect does it have on the lack of production on other positions? Next year no Mitchell. The other is the Involvement of Pagano. What changes has he brought?

Reaction Score
The thing that worries me is that with all of our lack of success, you'd like for somebody younger to step up and in... take a spot... especially at LB for us... We aren't seeing that...

Reaction Score
We NEVER throw deep, for yea re s now. At least with any effectiveness. Only time they do is when everyone in the stadium knows they have to because it's 3rd or 4th and very long. UConn still playing 1960's football: try to find some daylight to run to and try to win with a bend don't attack defense.

There was a play in the first half we were near the 30 (may have been closer) and we ran a pass play where every route was short of the goaline. No one into the endzone. Incomplete. No thought to spreading the coverage out to free up someone. Just made it easy for the D to cover us. As for our D it is playing way below preseason expectations based on returners and has been giving up big pass plays all year. Even HCJM's Dad noticed it and said something.

Reaction Score
The thing that worries me is that with all of our lack of success, you'd like for somebody younger to step up and in... take a spot... especially at LB for us... We aren't seeing that...
I agree. Makes you wonder about the quality of the remaining non starting linebackers on our roster.

Reaction Score
I am rather amused at the comments here. Everyone focusing on what needs to improve. Well, I am sure there are priorities, but EVERYTHING needs to improve. And the coaching staff is quite capable of prioritizing.

The question, however, is, will UConn have the resources to be able to hire the talent that it needs to in order to win games? Last year was not the first for the new milieu in CFB. And they obviously did not have the resources to hire the necessary talent last year. What leads us to believe they will this coming year? Especially when UConn is no longer perceived as a program on the rise? I'm thinking that the only way this program gets saved is if a P4 decides it needs to have the 2024 defending NCAA champions in both MBB and WBB and that description fits UConn and no other school.

Reaction Score
We NEVER throw deep, for yea re s now. At least with any effectiveness. Only time they do is when everyone in the stadium knows they have to because it's 3rd or 4th and very long. UConn still playing 1960's football: try to find some daylight to run to and try to win with a bend don't attack defense.

Very true, against UT Roberson was well protected but we never even tried to take the top of the defense.

Want to know why your bubble screens don't work? Why the DBs turned them into TFL? Because they don't have to defend the deep pass because we refuse to throw any.

Reaction Score
Last year when Swenson got dinged up a few times, our current long snapper came in to back him up. I was thinking, where did that come from?

Reaction Score
If receivers were actually open deep and there was time to throw, I think we’d see some deep passes.

l think the coaches mostly call plays that have a reasonable chance of working.

Reaction Score
If receivers were actually open deep and there was time to throw, I think we’d see some deep passes.

Once again, against Tennesse there was time to throw deep. And sometimes it is worthwhile to throw a 50/50 deep ball and give your WR a chance. BTW, how do you know we couldn't get separation deep even though we never tried it?

They ran the bubble screen numerous times even though it did not have a reasonable chance of success. It lost yardage regularly.

Reaction Score

Then why don't they work on a reasonably consistent basis?

Reaction Score
It is ability and really hard work. I assume they do work on it inside over the winter…

Reaction Score
Once again, against Tennesse there was time to throw deep. And sometimes it is worthwhile to throw a 50/50 deep ball and give your WR a chance. BTW, how do you know we couldn't get separation deep even though we never tried it?

They ran the bubble screen numerous times even though it did not have a reasonable chance of success. It lost yardage regularly.
I agree there was time to throw it deep, however I don't think they wanted to challenge the obvious speed advantage the Vols had. Is it worth throwing a few up and hoping for a penalty, sure.
I think we'll see more downfield stuff in the next three games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom