Defense vs. Baylor | The Boneyard

Defense vs. Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I'll plead "no-lo" to the charge of looking ahead. But I was watching some minutes of Baylor vs. Kansas, and began thinking about the defensive sets that Geno has in the tool box to stop Baylor. I'll start the discussion by nominating a 2-3 zone. With quick and active UConn guards on top, Baylor will be forced to do some things that they aren't really too good at. They struggle with the high-speed passes at or around the arc. It is hard to drive against any zone, but with our bigs defending the rim, driving plays will be dicey. And while Sims likes to drive to the basket, I am not as sure from what I saw that her team mates do. If not a 2-3, then a 2-2-1.

Any other thoughts?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Geno will be playing plenty of zone. The team looks like they have been playing more recently in preparation for the Baylor game.

I think he mixes I tip more often than usual, trying to confuse the. At times.

Geno has the schemes and the players to defend any any team or individual player.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I think Geno overall prefers man-to-man defense but will go to a variety of zones if it isn't working.
I wonder if he might be toying with a box and one in practice if Sims goes off against our other defenses.

I would doubt it...I think he would just try some type of zone with some shading towards Odyssey.
I think the game will be fascinating in that regard.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think Geno will try a variety of defenses on Baylor/Sims to see what might work . And then he will stick with whatever works until Baylor and Sims figure it out , then he will go to something else. That defense might be some type of a zone with a little man to man thrown in......... From what I have seen this year, Baylor doesn't pass the ball well. If they did it wouldn't end up in Sims hands all the time ; or , she wouldn't be scoring nearly half the points so often. Forcing the ball out of Sims hands and making them pass more than they like to could be key because Baylor hasn't shown that they have too many weapons.

All in all though , this game is more than just about stopping Sims. Its about Winning the game. I don't care if Sims gets 60 , as long as UConn wins the game. Baylor is going to have to figure out how to stop the Huskies too. And I just don't think they can. Its going to be a lot easier for the Huskies to stop one(1) Sims than it is for Baylor to stop multiple weapons employed by these Huskies.

Let's Go Huskies !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle