Defense Kills | The Boneyard

Defense Kills

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Tonight on the coaches show Ollie rekindled the 3 consecutive stop stat JC talked about in 2012. The team is now calling (or always have called) this set a "Kill." The bench is always aware when we are close to one and is standing and pulling for the team to close it out. The team goal is 3 per half and we haven't lost a game in 2 years if we get 5 or more in a game.

I know we've discussed it in the past on the yard but all I could dig up was this DogMania post from 2 years ago. (Hilarious to read similar board reactions from back then by the way.)

I love the idea of this stat because defense leads to points and consecutive stops lead to runs. I'll be tracking these on Thursday to see how we do. I think it would be cool to post kills up on the wall like strike outs in baseball. One of you student crazies needs to get this idea going, spell out UCONN on the wall behind the main student section at Gampel with each letter representing a kill. Would be great to make that the identity of our teams.

Reaction Score
Love that idea as well. Maybe on Saturday Ollie could talk to the student section, urge them to be extra loud on such possessions.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Tonight on the coaches show Ollie rekindled the 3 consecutive stop stat JC talked about in 2012. The team is now calling (or always have called) this set a "Kill." The bench is always aware when we are close to one and is standing and pulling for the team to close it out. The team goal is 3 per half and we haven't lost a game in 2 years if we get 5 or more in a game.

I know we've discussed it in the past on the yard but all I could dig up was this DogMania post from 2 years ago. (Hilarious to read similar board reactions from back then by the way.)

I love the idea of this stat because defense leads to points and consecutive stops lead to runs. I'll be tracking these on Thursday to see how we do. I think it would be cool to post kills up on the wall like strike outs in baseball. One of you student crazies needs to get this idea going, spell out UCONN on the wall behind the main student section at Gampel with each letter representing a kill. Would be great to make that the identity of our teams.
Join the chat and announce them there!

Reaction Score
Steve Kerr always talks about measuring potential title teams by how many consecutive stops they can get. Calhoun really hit this out the park , a philosophy applicable to all levels of basketball.
how we perform vs a productive Memphis frontcourt will say alot. If brimah can keep his hands high and active on the glass...

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
This team, and UConn teams traditionally, have really fed off of their defense. When Amida is getting blocks and Bazz/Kromah are creating turnovers, the team thrives. It often results in easy transition baskets as well.

The key has been rebounding. It's hard to get 3 consecutive stops when you give the opponent 2 or 3 chances in one possession. If we can combine our rebounding with great defense, the offensive production will not be a problem with this team's talent.

Reaction Score
We have to turn up the defense . Three more kills sounds appropriate

Reaction Score
If we had 5, and memphis shot according to their %, game wouldn't have been close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmed69

Top Bottom