Deep South Classic | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Deep South Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Great report, Mescarlett. I have it on good authority that Geno is in Chicago tonight. My guess he's watching Lexi Gussert and perhaps others. I'm sure he'll also find time for an adult beverage with his good friend Doug Bruno. A good guess is that Geno will head to the Boo event tomorrow and then to Raleigh on Sunday.

Reaction Score
Great report, Mescarlett. I have it on good authority that Geno is in Chicago tonight. My guess he's watching Lexi Gussert and perhaps others. I'm sure he'll also find time for an adult beverage with his good friend Doug Bruno. A good guess is that Geno will head to the Boo event tomorrow and then to Raleigh on Sunday.

Yes, I did see a photo of Geno at some event, as well, but I couldn't determine whether it was Chicago or Boo. But, Chicago would make more sense. So, I am guessing he will join up with CD tomorrow and then maybe make the drive down to Raleigh (well, unless it's too far for him to drive as it was CD, haha -- she & I had a good time laughing about that!)

I probably will not make it out tomorrow (I will have to see); but I may try to make it over on Sunday to check out the finals!

Reaction Score
Mes... people in Connecticut think anything beyond 30 minutes is a "long drive"

Haha, I know ... my cousin's live in Boston and they thought I was nuts because I went to college in a different county and commuted back and forth. We have 100 counties; so we think nothing of driving long distances. Chris & I got a big laugh out of that -- she was like "well we can drive across our whole state in less than an hour; you can go stay with your Uncle and come see us in an hour; yet I'd still be driving in NC because it takes like six hours to get across it" -- I couldn't help pick on her. We just drive and drive and drive down here - it's nothing for us to take a 3 hour "day trip" down to South Carolina to go to the beach, haha! Yes, I guess we are different lol

Reaction Score
3hrs is just too far

Haha...y'all are nuts lol jk....we love to take the backroads and cruise! But contrary to most, I am not one of the slow driving Southerners...too many tickets going to and from games lol

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
The dynamic recruiting duo!

Getting A'Ja in this class would be almost unfair. The 2014-15 team would be silly good. It will be without her. Can't imagine how good it would be with her.
We are going to have to get a quality big in that class- to start breaking in though! If not wilson- maybe Westerbeld will have to do!

Reaction Score
Oh and to score more points, I told CD that no one in my hometown had even promoted the Deep South and she was like how did you hear about it? I smiled and was like "the boneyard!" -- she just smiled and laughed lol

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Oh and to score more points, I told CD that no one in my hometown had even promoted the Deep South and she was like how did you hear about it? I smiled and was like "the boneyard!" -- she just smiled and laughed lol
so she knows about the Boneyard... probably shares coaching strategies that she find here with Geno

Reaction Score
WHAT A UBERFANTABULOUS STORY!!! (Sorry had to use caps!)

Mescarlett, could you please share with us, or if you would prefer in a pm to me, a link to your blog?

You have really piqued my curiosity about your "conversion." That is really amazing to become: surely it couldn't have been just the fanbase that converted you?

Thanks a gazillion for sharing your time at DS with us!

And while we are on this subject, let me just tell you guys ... for many, many, many years, I was a UConn hater. I grew up in NC -- so I have NC State, Duke and UNC (though I still don't like them!); but I also grew up a Tennessee fan -- so being a TN fan, it was taught to me from a young age that you hate Geno and you hate UConn. And hated them, I did. The only person I never hated was CD, which is funny! But finally I grew up and I realized, you know what who cares if Pat's records are broke. Records are meant to be broken. UConn isn't going to replace Tennessee nor Pat and the impact TN has had in WBB; rather UConn is just creating their own impact for the sport.

So, to all you UConn fans, I must apologize. CD knows now I used to be a UConn hater; she was shoked to see I had a team jacket and said I had grown up, haha! I apologize to being hated towards you guys for so many years. I have come to love and adore UConn and yes, even Geno, haha! I owe a lot of that to CD for helping to change my mind, even if it did start with fashion (you'll have to see my blog posts to understand that).

She knows I'm not a coach and she told me ten times I was crazy if I loved basketball that much to come to a Deep South Classic. But I always wanted to play ball for Kay Yow growing up; she was my hero. I'm a pretty good height and used to do alright in the sport. Sadly, I had a severe shoulder surgery when I was very young and that ruined my shooting shoulder. So, I never was able to play. So it's my passion now to promote the sport and support it. Maybe that's why I attended 29 games last season and in three different states (again, CD said I was nuts, ha!) One of these days, I want to make it up to UConn -- I've been to the state of CT but never during bball season -- it's too cold and well I can't drive in snow. So one of these days, I will come visit some of y'all. But I wanted to apologize and thank you for welcoming into the family. Over the past few months, I have come to realize that you guys are truly some of the nicest and kindest fans I have ever met. I've been to Texas, Tennessee, Baylor, UNC, Duke, am a season passholder for NC State -- I've been many other places; but none of their fans compare to you guys! You are all very kind-hearted and that really has impressed me.

Sorry for the biography, but I just wanted to let you know that people are being converted, ha! Hope to see y'all soon in UConn or down here in North Carolina! Bring CD back, we've got a Nordstrom, ha!

Reaction Score
Mes... people in Connecticut think anything beyond 30 minutes is a "long drive"
Growing up 20 minutes from Storrs,(Danielson),I used to think driving 20 minutes to everything,was a pain,but natural experience daily,but,after moving to Florida,around the Orlando,Tampa areas and the congestion(20 minutes to drive 8 miles in some areas),I learned Connecticut driving wasn't all that bad,lol.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You have really piqued my curiosity about your "conversion." That is really amazing to become: surely it couldn't have been just the fanbase that converted you?

It was the weekly healing services.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I drive all over New England myself. When I was dating, I met women from NYC, Providence, Boston, and all points in between. No such thing as a long drive in Connecticut. I used to live in Texas- now, THEN you have some long drives to get anywhere other than where you live!

Mescarlett, you should try to come up early in the season, like for the Stanford game in Hartford. You won't have to do much driving, and it most likely won't be snowing yet. If it is, CT does a good job of plowing the roads quickly. We're used to it up here.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The dynamic recruiting duo!

Getting A'Ja in this class would be almost unfair. The 2014-15 team would be silly good. It will be without her. Can't imagine how good it would be with her.
We missed our chance at "unfair" with EDD. Let's succeed the second time around. :)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Geno and CD are extremely accessible and take being ambassadors of the game seriously. They both coach with a sense that the devil is in the details, and they extend that principle to how they interact with fans. Geno, in addition to coaching the Uconn team and the US national team, also owns business and sits on boards of other businesses. The guy is busy. He's also a son, a father, and a grandfather. And yet, despite all , he'll respond to an email within minutes of getting it. CD isn't spread quite as thin, but she is very active in charities and other organizations on top of being Associate HC, and she has that same understanding that fans are the lifeblood of the sport.

Those two really aren't replaceable. I'm not saying Uconn can't be successful once they're gone, but to have had two people arrive in Storrs when they did with that kind of hard-wiring, well it was an amazing stroke of good fortune.

Reaction Score
And while we are on this subject, let me just tell you guys ... for many, many, many years, I was a UConn hater. I grew up in NC -- so I have NC State, Duke and UNC (though I still don't like them!); but I also grew up a Tennessee fan -- so being a TN fan, it was taught to me from a young age that you hate Geno and you hate UConn. And hated them, I did. The only person I never hated was CD, which is funny! But finally I grew up and I realized, you know what who cares if Pat's records are broke. Records are meant to be broken. UConn isn't going to replace Tennessee nor Pat and the impact TN has had in WBB; rather UConn is just creating their own impact for the sport.

So, to all you UConn fans, I must apologize. CD knows now I used to be a UConn hater; she was shoked to see I had a team jacket and said I had grown up, haha! I apologize to being hated towards you guys for so many years. I have come to love and adore UConn and yes, even Geno, haha! I owe a lot of that to CD for helping to change my mind, even if it did start with fashion (you'll have to see my blog posts to understand that).

She knows I'm not a coach and she told me ten times I was crazy if I loved basketball that much to come to a Deep South Classic. But I always wanted to play ball for Kay Yow growing up; she was my hero. I'm a pretty good height and used to do alright in the sport. Sadly, I had a severe shoulder surgery when I was very young and that ruined my shooting shoulder. So, I never was able to play. So it's my passion now to promote the sport and support it. Maybe that's why I attended 29 games last season and in three different states (again, CD said I was nuts, ha!) One of these days, I want to make it up to UConn -- I've been to the state of CT but never during bball season -- it's too cold and well I can't drive in snow. So one of these days, I will come visit some of y'all. But I wanted to apologize and thank you for welcoming into the family. Over the past few months, I have come to realize that you guys are truly some of the nicest and kindest fans I have ever met. I've been to Texas, Tennessee, Baylor, UNC, Duke, am a season passholder for NC State -- I've been many other places; but none of their fans compare to you guys! You are all very kind-hearted and that really has impressed me.

Sorry for the biography, but I just wanted to let you know that people are being converted, ha! Hope to see y'all soon in UConn or down here in North Carolina! Bring CD back, we've got a Nordstrom, ha!

Mescarlett, thanks for your excellent report. You seem like a great fan of women's basketball and truly enjoy the sport. I became a fan of UCONN in 1994 when they just started emerging as a power. 1995 was a thing of beauty when UCONN won their first NC. I hope you continue to love the sport as much as you now do.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I drive all over New England myself. When I was dating, I met women from NYC, Providence, Boston, and all points in between. No such thing as a long drive in Connecticut. I used to live in Texas- now, THEN you have some long drives to get anywhere other than where you live!

Mescarlett, you should try to come up early in the season, like for the Stanford game in Hartford. You won't have to do much driving, and it most likely won't be snowing yet. If it is, CT does a good job of plowing the roads quickly. We're used to it up here.
One can drive all day in Texas and still be in Texas. The only way that works in Connecticut is if you are horribly lost or during a blizzard.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
As an aside, is North Carolina really the Deep South? I think of the Deep South as Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, the parts of Georgia that aren't the Atlanta metro, the Florida Panhandle, and swaths of Tennessee.

Jesse Helms gave NC a deep Southie flavor. Times have changed. With the influx of industry and research to NC, the state is not the same in character as it used to be.

Reaction Score

That sounds like a great plan! The earlier the better. Maybe they will have a game on my birthday and I should come celebrate with you guys! I hope I can get some decent tickets considering I'm not a season ticket holder or anything.

Reaction Score
WHAT A UBERFANTABULOUS STORY!!! (Sorry had to use caps!)

Mescarlett, could you please share with us, or if you would prefer in a pm to me, a link to your blog?

Aww thanks guys for all the wonderful feedback!

I will absolutely share my blog -- there should be a link in my profile but it is http://mescarlett414.blogspot.com (hopefully that will work!)

I recently did a "Coaches Collection" on fashion that coaches wear, but one of my older posts indicates Why Basketball has meant so much to me! I know that someone at the ACC has read it because I received an e-mail reply to that. I pondered whether CD had read my blog b/c of one of the outfits she wore to the NCAA Semi-finals, I had basically written about it in my blog. I didn't ask her last night though, I totally forgot!

Yeah the conversion to UConn was something else. My Dad still doesn't speak to me much, haha just kidding. We are still devoted Tennessee fans but I have learned over the years that it's okay to pull for everyone and just try to support the sport in general. There are times where I might pull against UConn just because I like to see Geno get riled up when they are losing (or maybe I like the fact we get to see CD more then trying to restrain him, ha!). But my absolute distaste for UConn has subsided. My wardrobe now consists of shirts from nearly every team around, obsessive, maybe just a little!

Reaction Score
Geno and CD are extremely accessible and take being ambassadors of the game seriously. They both coach with a sense that the devil is in the details, and they extend that principle to how they interact with fans. Geno, in addition to coaching the Uconn team and the US national team, also owns business and sits on boards of other businesses. The guy is busy. He's also a son, a father, and a grandfather. And yet, despite all , he'll respond to an email within minutes of getting it. CD isn't spread quite as thin, but she is very active in charities and other organizations on top of being Associate HC, and she has that same understanding that fans are the lifeblood of the sport.

Those two really aren't replaceable. I'm not saying Uconn can't be successful once they're gone, but to have had two people arrive in Storrs when they did with that kind of hard-wiring, well it was an amazing stroke of good fortune.

That's such awesome news about Geno & CD. I really wish more coaches would be accessible like them. I understand you can't be fully accessible to a degree. But I have encountered many coaches throughout my time of going to basketball games. Some are just so genuine and really have a heart for their fans; others just don't give you the time of day -- and that is ashame. I met Katie Meier (Miami) a few years ago after a game here vs. NC State. She was just so energetic and a lot of fun; turn that right around and another ACC Coach (I shall not name, ha) walks right past you and refused to speak. That just irritates me to no end.

And that's incredible about Geno replying to e-mails. I had e=mailed Chris Dailey once a long time ago after I met her at Duke; but I never heard back from her. She has a Twitter account, but bless her heart, she hasn't ever tweeted anything. Just being around her for a bit last night, I don't know that she's probably as techno-savvy as others. But she is very gracious because I was still surprised with the handwritten thank you note I received from her in the mail during the middle of the NCAA Tournament. That speaks volumes about their characters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom