Deandre Daniels Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
It means he's putting in work.

Like Kemba did pre-2011.

Bring it Deandre. Can't wait to see what you got.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Here's a little Blind Player comparison for you guys:

Player A 10.6 ppg (42% FG, 24% 3pt) 4.95 RPG, 1.17 BlksPG
Player B 17.0 ppg (53% FG, 46% 3pt) 7.14 RPG, 2.57 Blks PG

Player A is Deandre Daniels over the first 23 games of last season.
Player B is Deandre Daniels over the last 7.

Reaction Score

Wow! Any of those numbers are fantastic for a blind player.

Reaction Score

the 7 game averages are all realistic numbers for next season. 3 pt percentage and blocks per game will probably be a little lower. Only reason he doesn't average at least 17 will be because the guard trio has the ball too much.

Reaction Score
DeAndre is going to be a beast this year, I'm talking one of the best players in the country good.

Reaction Score

Are you suggesting that we should temper our expectations and believe in the larger sample size (Player A)? Or are you saying the DD has "broken out" and we should expect production in line with how he finished the season (Player B)?

I'll go with the obvious and say it'll be somewhere in between. His rebounding numbers will need to be closer to the late-season values for us to be successful and not be victimized on the offense glass to the embarrassing degree that we were last year. I think his 3-point shooting will be in the mid-30's -- not outstanding, but credible enough that they'll have to guard him. I expect him to be able to score on mid-range jumpers and straight-line drives to the hoop. I don't see him being able to break anyone down off the dribble -- any more that two dribbles and he was liable to get stripped.

One thing I hope he's worked on is his strength and finishing ability around the rim. Aside from RJ Evans, he led the team in frequency of getting layups stuffed. If that's the only thing he's improved this summer, he'll be a real offensive threat at the 4.

For what it's worth, here's Player C, which I think is a reasonable basis of comparison, maybe a little optimistic:

Player C 15.2 ppg (46% FG, 32% 3pt) 6.4 RPG, 1.6 Blks PG (30.8 mpg)

That's Rudy Gay in 2006. I don't think DD will "look" as good doing it, and probably will require more minutes to do so, but will probably put up similar numbers to Rudy.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting that we should temper our expectations and believe in the larger sample size (Player A)? Or are you saying the DD has "broken out" and we should expect production in line with how he finished the season (Player B)?

I'll go with the obvious and say it'll be somewhere in between. His rebounding numbers will need to be closer to the late-season values for us to be successful and not be victimized on the offense glass to the embarrassing degree that we were last year. I think his 3-point shooting will be in the mid-30's -- not outstanding, but credible enough that they'll have to guard him. I expect him to be able to score on mid-range jumpers and straight-line drives to the hoop. I don't see him being able to break anyone down off the dribble -- any more that two dribbles and he was liable to get stripped.

One thing I hope he's worked on is his strength and finishing ability around the rim. Aside from RJ Evans, he led the team in frequency of getting layups stuffed. If that's the only thing he's improved this summer, he'll be a real offensive threat at the 4.

For what it's worth, here's Player C, which I think is a reasonable basis of comparison, maybe a little optimistic:

That's Rudy Gay in 2006. I don't think DD will "look" as good doing it, and probably will require more minutes to do so, but will probably put up similar numbers to Rudy.

Interesting take. I'll say 50% turning the corner, 25% statistical anomaly(luck) and 25% filling the void of the injured Olander, Giffey and Napier and suspended wolf.

I expect the biggest growth areas for Daniels to be in the areas we need him the most. Interior defense and rebounding. I will sign up today for Rudy 06.

pj

Reaction Score

Deandre is going to be much better this year than Rudy was in 2006. The numbers may be similar but DeAndre will be a far more vital contributor to the team and a more efficient contributor.

To my eyes Deandre at the end of last season was already playing better than Rudy in 2006. He'll be improved this year.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
deandre and bazz should both be top 10 players next year, or at least close to that

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Why did I read the title of this thread and assume this was going to be something bad?

Our program has been through a lot the past few years. I think its time

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
kemba became kemba the second half of his soph year (at nova), deandre became a beast towards the end... hes going to be really really good

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I think he's going to become what I originally had thought Marcus Johnson and Stanley Robinson would but never did.

Reaction Score
He'll be closer to the "last 7 games Deandre" next year. Good to see his shooting percentages up, but you have to realize, he averaged about 27 minutes in the first 23 games, and about 37 minutes in the last seven games.

Reaction Score
IMO ... DD is all about confidence. when things go bad he can get sloppy and timid and seemingly "not there" but he can drop 25 and be all over the defensive end the next game.

I LOVE that TWEET!!!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Why did I read the title of this thread and assume this was going to be something bad?

Our program has been through a lot the past few years. I think its time

that was my reaction as well

Reaction Score
Deandre over his final 22 games:

overall FG %: 48.9
3 point FG %: 32
Free Throw %: 73.2
Points/ game: 13.6
rebounds/ game: 5.8

this is taking out most of the cupcake games at the beginning of the season. 22 games is a pretty good sample size. When you factor in the final 7 games were his best I would say he has a very good chance at averaging 15+ points and 7+ rebounds per game while shooting a very high percent from all 3 categories. That is a minimum. On the other end of the spectrum he could be a top 5 player in college basketball.

Reaction Score
I won't be surprised to see him improve at the level Donyell did between his sophomore and junior seasons. He's going to be exciting at the very least, the sky is the limit with Deandre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom