DC interview with Warde Manuel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DC interview with Warde Manuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I want to sleep with Jennifer Anniston tonight. Given the reality of the situation, however, I'd be better off focusing on what I have to do in order for my wife not to be mad at me this evening.

What UConn wants is, sadly, irrelevant at the moment. The market is changing. We can recognize the trend and do what we need to do to stay relevant, or we can pretend that nothing is changing (if you really think ND would sign the same deal with Wake, or Michigan would sign the same deal with us, today you're not reading what people are saying), demand that we not be disadvantaged by a more market driven environment and end up like Yale.

But, at least some on the board will be "proud" that we didn't let others push us around if we don't hold our current level because of inflexibility.
So what are you saying? Would take three games in South Bend for two in The Meadowlands? Or not?

Reaction Score
Would love to see the Rent expand but only when there's a season ticket waiting list. Our half-empty stadium at kickoff is already a bad visual, big empty blocks of seats would be worse. Lots of NASCAR tracks overbuilt (especially Dover) and those empty blocks of seats look bad, even when covered by tarps (like Jacksonville in NFL, Oakland in baseball, etc)

This is the same as thinking that UConn shouldn't upgrade to 1A because they only drew 5,000 fans against a 1AA schedule.They should have waited until they proved they could draw 40,000 for a 1AA schedule before we built a 40,000 seat stadium.

Expanding the Rent means bigger games against more desirable opponents. It means a Michigan type opponent every year, that increases sales in a way you can't measure in a 40,000 seat stadium.

The question is...what will be the demand for Michigan tickets? If it's 60,000, that says a expansion makes sense. The bonus is that an expanded Rent makes us much more desirable for a spot in the B10 or ACC.

Reaction Score
As far as I know the Yale bowl could still host a large crowd. I attended two games there last year and all of the benches appear to still be in place. If I remember right it was reported that the Fordham game could have been played there last year if needed. The only drawback to Yale bowl is parking. Shuttle buses are needed for big crowds, but putting up with that once every other year wouldn't be so bad. I'm only 5 miles away so it wouldn't bother me at all.

Can someone explain to me why Yale bowl is viewed as a nuetral site? People do realize that New Haven is by far the best city in CT and somewhat centrally located.

This is off topic but it is a darn shame that the UCONN campus didn't start and grow where Southern's campus is located. If UCONN's money were invested in the New Haven area that town would be like a little Boston. If only we could turn back the clock 100 years. UCONN D1 football would have started at least 10 years earlier too because the games would be at the Yale Bowl. Oh Well.

Reaction Score
So what are you saying? Would take three games in South Bend for two in The Meadowlands? Or not?

I do not know, and neither does anyone here, what concessions it will take to schedule enough "big boys" out of conference that we can maintain relevance in a Big East that fewer now care about. Is is silly for any of us to be saying "this deal is acceptable" or "this deal isn't" unless we're at the negotiating table. Obviously, I'd like to have the best deals we can get.

What I am saying, however, is that I see no reason to believe we can maintain even our current level of relevance unless we are willing to make scheduling concessions out of conference. What the level of concession will have to be -- who knows.

Reaction Score
Yale Bowl N
As far as I know the Yale bowl could still host a large crowd. I attended two games there last year and all of the benches appear to still be in place. If I remember right it was reported that the Fordham game could have been played there last year if needed. The only drawback to Yale bowl is parking. Shuttle buses are needed for big crowds, but putting up with that once every other year wouldn't be so bad. I'm only 5 miles away so it wouldn't bother me at all.

Can someone explain to me why Yale bowl is viewed as a nuetral site? People do realize that New Haven is by far the best city in CT and somewhat centrally located.

This is off topic but it is a darn shame that the UCONN campus didn't start and grow where Southern's campus is located. If UCONN's money were invested in the New Haven area that town would be like a little Boston. If only we could turn back the clock 100 years. UCONN D1 football would have started at least 10 years earlier too because the games would be at the Yale Bowl. Oh Well.

Yale Bowl and its environs do not have the infrastructure to host 60k events. The seating capacity, sure, but not enough parking, not enough access, and not enough hotel rooms. Could you play a game their once? Sure, you could. But to do it regularly wouldn't work. And, with new NFL stadiums within 30 miles of both the eastern and western state lines, there just isn't a need to.

Reaction Score
Isn't "full Nelson Muntz" redundant? I would think there is Nelson Muntz or not, with anything less than a full-Muntz not being a Muntz.

It's meant to be a play on that line from the movie "Tropic Thunder". "Everyone knows you never go full retard". But yes, I could see how it could be redundant.

Reaction Score
It's meant to be a play on that line from the movie "Tropic Thunder". "Everyone knows you never go full retard". But yes, I could see how it could be redundant.

Your line was funny. I guess my response wasn't based on your reply.

Oh well. Swing and a miss.

Reaction Score
Your line was funny. I guess my response wasn't based on your reply.

Oh well. Swing and a miss.

It flew over my head, because I was locked in a half nelson. (I get it now) Sometimes I miss dry humor.

Reaction Score
I do not know, and neither does anyone here, what concessions it will take to schedule enough "big boys" out of conference that we can maintain relevance in a Big East that fewer now care about. Is is silly for any of us to be saying "this deal is acceptable" or "this deal isn't" unless we're at the negotiating table. Obviously, I'd like to have the best deals we can get.

What I am saying, however, is that I see no reason to believe we can maintain even our current level of relevance unless we are willing to make scheduling concessions out of conference. What the level of concession will have to be -- who knows.

It's a fair you make.

But.....if we're going to limit this board to discussions that we are all "in the know" about.....we might as well shut down the BY.

Reaction Score
Yale Bowl and its environs do not have the infrastructure to host 60k events. The seating capacity, sure, but not enough parking, not enough access, and not enough hotel rooms. Could you play a game their once? Sure, you could. But to do it regularly wouldn't work. And, with new NFL stadiums within 30 miles of both the eastern and western state lines, there just isn't a need to.

There were still large crowd games at the Yale Bowl in the 80's. Hotel space has probably gone up since then. The NY Giants played their home games there in 73 and 74 and I don't think "Access" has changed since then. It will be a tougher commute than the Rent, but a much easier commute then Giants Stadium.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why anyone would want to see a UConn game vs anybody at the Yale Bowl or Yankee Stadium. If We have a game around here that is not at the Rent, at least put it in a professional FOOTBALL stadium.

Reaction Score
Is the Yale Bowl viable for large crowds? I realize that it was built for large capacity, but hasn't it fallen into disrepair, and they only maintain it for the smaller crowds that it now gets?

I think Yale did a renovation, recently, that also reduced capacity.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I don't understand why anyone would want to see a UConn game vs anybody at the Yale Bowl or Yankee Stadium. If We have a game around here that is not at the Rent, at least put it in a professional FOOTBALL stadium.
I don't care to see a game at Yale Bowl. I'd be very interested in seeing a game in NYC at Yankee Stadium, much more so than a game in New Jersey (which we already have every other year). We also already play in professional stadiums against USF and Temple.

Reaction Score
Expanding the Rent means bigger games against more desirable opponents. It means a Michigan type opponent every year, that increases sales in a way you can't measure in a 40,000 seat stadium.

what kind of leap did you take to figure that an expanded stadium means a Michigan type opponent every year? it can't hurt our chances but if you're expecting a 55k stadium to put a Michigan type team in Est Hartford every other year you're going to be very disappointed watching Buffalo and UMass in front of 15k empty seats.

the new reality is that no matter how many fans our stadium holds, games against BCS teams are going to be fewer and further between as they all increase their number of conference games. several teams, including Michigan, have basically said they're not playing any more away OOC games at all aside from ND.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
-play umass every year. as they develop they will bring more fans. 5 years from now i bet that game gets a bit heated and we develop the rivalry back a bit and it will become a season opener ever year sell out rival etc...
-instead of a fcs, play army every year. its a small boost for the sos/rpi but noteworthy. they are close, we can make it special. sell more than the visitor section to them. allow them to put a couple thousands cadets on a group of busses and fill a section or 2 in the new part of the stadium(upper deck). that would be cool i think and would fill our place up easy. i bet that would be a great tailgating day also.

Reaction Score
Yale Bowl N

True. I remember the "old" (just after the Calvin Hill/Brian Dowling) days when the Bowl was filled to capacity for Dartmouth, Princeton and Yale. Parking was literally find-a-place-in-a-field and walk forever. You knew you were getting close when the Tailgaters appeared.

Reaction Score

Dumb. You win against BS, SMU, LV, Cin, USF, Rutgirls, UCF, SDS, Houston, Navy, Mem and you raise your relevance.
It is silly for anyone not at the "relevance table" to determine what "will improve relevance" or not.
Sure has helped Marshall to play WV and Troy has really moved up with the rest of the Sunbelt guys for being fodder for the SEC.
Can't wait to see the pop Louisiana Monroe gets for starting the season playing Arkansas, Auburn and Baylor.
Beat BE teams and a NCS and Maryland and Uconn will be plenty relevant. That will be as good as VT who plays out of conference Cin, Pitt, Austin Pee and Bowling Green; and will again be considered relevant (at least before the 1st "unexpected" loss).
Uconn goes to undefeated Louisville as a 1 loss team to play on Nov 24th and Uconn will be plenty relevant - even without having beat ND at Yankee Stadium.

Reaction Score
Not fair to use "dumb" to dismiss a legitimate point out of hand. If UConn runs the table against that schedule they're still very likely on the outside in the 4-team scenario (would make an 8-team, tho). Yes, 12-0 vs. that sked raises relevance and gets you into a non-playoff BCS (or whatever they're calling it). But some, if not the majority, of the yahoos that are going to be on that committee are going to wonder where the 'name' teams are. Doesn't mean it's right, but that's the reality. And I don't think it's a given that BS SMU Hou and SDS are coming by any stretch so we better be preparing if they bail.
And that Nov. 24 scenario is only valid for one more season. If that was '14, unbeaten Louisville is out of the playoffs; their only noncons next season so far are Kentucky, FIU and Marshall. Good luck getting into the 4 team with that.

Reaction Score

What we "want" and what is available to us are distinctly different. UCONN football is at a very tenuous place as it relates to gaining national prominence. Given the money already invested, less than national recognition would be a disaster. It will take playing and, occasionally, beating a Texas/Oklahoma/Florida/Ohio State/Southern Cal/etc. At this point playing big-boy teams might require UCONN living with less favorable conditions (like neutral sites). Right now, UCONN will lose any attempt to make OOC scheduling into a "biggest male organ" contest.

As to "why Yankee Stadium?" As it relates to sports in metro-NYC, there are two venues considered "hallowed" ground; Madison Square Garden and, as much as it pains me, Yankee Stadium. Yankee Stadium has hosted some very famous college football games, mostly involving ND and a Service Academy. Yankee Stadium (and MSG) is Broadway. Citi Field, The Meadowlands, Gillette? Off Broadway, at least, for college football.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
were going to win the whole dam thing this year so stop worrying about it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yale Bowl isn't the right venue and it's doubtful anyone else would want to play there. Yankee Stadium gives a novelty factor and better train access from Metro North to haul our drunk rear ends to the game.

Reaction Score
Yankee Stadium seats 52,000 for football. That's smaller than an expanded Rentschler field which is designed for 55,000.

Next.

pj

Reaction Score
Yankee Stadium works location wise. A game at Gillette might get fewer people than one at the Rent; Boston isn't into college football and the local Providence/Worcestor/New Bedford/Brockton folks aren't UConn fans. On a Saturday New York is more accessible to Connecticut fans than Foxborough, and it's the recruiting ground we need to win, so there's extra benefit to being there. Meadowlands is farther away and across the Hudson / off subway. Might have value if we're competing in New Jersey too but at the moment New York is much more open to us.

I don't think seating / ticket gate is the main issue. The attraction is media attention in NYC.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
-play umass every year. as they develop they will bring more fans.

UMass can go screw. After all the trash they talked about UConn over the years why should we help them build their program? Bad enough The Rent is closer to their campus than their home field is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom