Daniels hands-down most improved player on this team | The Boneyard

Daniels hands-down most improved player on this team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DD has been coming up big the last couple games and seemingly coming into his own. Over those two games, he's averaging 22 points and 9 rebounds. He's had many other double-digit scoring games throughout the season, though consistency has been his biggest problem. With Bazz either playing hurt the remainder of the season, or maybe missing games altogether (I haven't heard the latest on him) I expect to see DD get more touches, more shots and more points in the next 3 games.

The three areas that he's improved the most is with consistency with his jumpshot, decision making (when to catch and launch, drive for a better shot) and his handle in the half-court. I, along with many, have all said that his handle is what was holding him back. I'm surprised at how it's improved as the season has gone on. He still needs to work on it though. Scares me a bit when he dribbles in the open court, but even there he's improved a bit where they have him help bring the ball across half-court when teams apply FC pressure.

There's no question, that he deserves to get the ball more often. As much Bazz and Boat have shouldered much of the scoring this season, they need to do a better job of getting DD the ball. IMO, they win that Georgetown game if they looked to him more late in that game. I realize it's not easy for the PGs to see the floor when handling through traffic, but RB missed DD twice in that game during critical stretches, including that last rush up the court where RB let himself be funneled to the corner. RB needs to learn to try to keep himself in the middle of the court, but that's a whole other story. Considering how under-manned this team is, especially now with Napier's injury, I couldn't be prouder at how well this team has played. They've gone far beyond my expectations. If most of the team returns, they get/stay healthy, and the newcomers, especially the bigs can come in and contribute relatively early on (rebounding, team-D and be efficient with make-able shots close to the basket), this team will be very special.

Getting back to Daniels, I often try to compare our current players to past ones I've seen in college or in the NBA, not necessarily UConn alums. The only one that I can come up with is Rudy. If he ends the season strong and picks up where he leaves off next season, he'll end up as a more productive college wing than Rudy was when he was here at UConn. Granted Rudy would have left a bigger mark than he did if he had stuck around longer. I'm not sure he'll have as much NBA upside, but I wouldn't assume he won't.

The three areas he needs to work on over the spring and summer are, in the following order: Handle, Body (strength & Bulk) and his shot-making (3 ball & mid-range, which have been very good lately).

One last observation. I like his demeanor. He's got a steady way about him where he doesn't get too high or too low. Even when he gets called for what looks like a let-them-play or even phantom foul, he doesn't seem to react and shakes it off immediately. It's not like he doesn't get animated though. He was clearing p*ssed at Boatright at the end of the first OT against GU when he was wide open, and could have won the game right then and there if he had his head up. Seeing that he did the same thing at the end of the 2nd OT, granted under much more pressure and duress, RB still has some lessons to learn before he should even think about the NBA.

As for DD, he's got the makings to be very special. He's starting to show everyone why he was ranked so high coming out of HS.

Reaction Score
I agree he deserved more touches in the last two games. Cincy , his three wasn't falling, but he was finishing at a high rate around the paint. Many thought being forced to play the 4, he would be abused on the glass and in the paint. he's done exceptional in both areas in stretches, and overall it has improved his game.
He isn't the fluid athlete rudy was, but is above average. He needs to improve his consistency and conditioning, both of which would help him scoring 20 ppg and getting 3 blocks a game next year.

caw

Reaction Score
I would argue Napier but its close.

Daniels isn't as explosive or as strong as Rudy but he is a heck of a scorer. He has some NBA ready moves, just needs to get consistent. He has to know now that he has the potential to be the best player in the BE, if not the country, next year after outplaying Porter on both ends (obviously Wiggins will have a huge say).

Reaction Score
I would argue Napier but its close.

Daniels isn't as explosive or as strong as Rudy but he is a heck of a scorer. He has some NBA ready moves, just needs to get consistent. He has to know now that he has the potential to be the best player in the BE, if not the country, next year after outplaying Porter on both ends (obviously Wiggins will have a huge say).
Bazz has been remarkable, but I guess my expectations were higher for him. He showed a lot of the game he has now last season. He's just going it more consistently and more often. Bazz's game reminds me of Mr. Big Shot, Chauncy Billups. He's developed some crazy range on his 3, as has RB at times, though not nearly as often.

Next season if both return and work on consistently knocking down NBA 3s, they'll be able to open up the halfcourt even more, making teams come out to guard them. With DD improving and some help inside on the way...hoping at least on of the new bigs can contribute sooner than later, this team has to makings to be very special. The range on their Js and the ability to make shots makes up for some of their lack of size. I'm already looking forward to next season.

I might be wrong, but it looks good that both will return. RB gets swallowed up by the double team and I think NBA folks would be concerned about that. He needs to show he can overcome that and his size limitations as a whole, even thought he does play well above the rim. As for Bazz, I thought he was beginning to play himself into the draft with a monster finish to his season. This injury that I would never wish upon him or any player, might just keep him at UConn for his senior year. Bazz really needs to finish off a season healthy and strong, ready to showcase his skills during the NBA draft preparatory phase (invitation camps and individual workouts) to improve his draft stock. The one thing I worry about is this years draft seems weak, especially at the PG position and leaving now might be his best shot. If he returns and doesn't improve or at least play consistently at the level he's shown down the stretch next season, not to mention a deeper 2014 draft, his stock could drop. We'll just have to sweat this one out over then next couple months.

Reaction Score
"average over the last two games", come on DM; a two game average? Daniels certainly has improved, but his ceiling isn't that high. He just isn't very quick. Building up his body thus presents a catch 22.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I would say February was his biggest jump. I feel he is stating to capture national attention. I also think TV does not do him justice, he is a lot better in person. Agile, hops, outside shot, dunker, etc...

He's looks to be our next NBA'er (i.e. multi years).

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
DD will be a lottery pick after the 2014 tournament run

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I will disagree with a lot of this thread.

First of all, Daniels is very fast for a 6'8 player. I don't know if he has NBA speed, but he isn't far off.

Daniels has improved a lot, but he still makes plays that must infuriate Ollie. Daniels continues to try and bring the ball up the court, which resulted in a big turnover against Cincinnati. He has absolutely no business dribbling in the open floor. If he wants to spend 3 hours a day working on his handle, maybe he can do a little of that next year. His pull up jumpers are not his game. He missed a deep 3 against Cincinnati when we really needed a basket. Watch his pick and rolls. He usually slides out to the 3 point line with his roll rather than cutting to the basket.

He has to stick to what he is good at, which is 15 foot in slashing and post up with the occasional outside J when he gets a kick out and is wide open. When he sticks to his game, he is very, very good offensively.

Defensively, he is still pretty bad. He had Porter on the final play of the game against Georgetown, and got totally smoked. Daniels has a tendency to break down the entire UConn defense because he loses his guy so often, even away from the ball, that everyone else starts rotating to cover and someone on the other team is wide open. He needs to work very hard on his D this off season.

Daniels is a good rebounder, so I don't question his effort, but he has to improve his focus and recognition.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think this was a critical year in DD's career. He was either going to fade away or start making incremental steps forward. He's done the latter. He's gained confidence and his skills have begun to translate well on the court. I'd say Giffey is another player who has taken huge strides this season. He's another player that has benefitted from a boost in confidence. For the player that comes in on the fringe, ie: a player who can be good but isn't a blue chipper, confidence is the key to unlocking their potential, IMO. Both players have benefitted from confidence boosts this season. a third player that has impressed recently is Nolan. He's a beanpole and doesn't look like he'll ever add a ton of weight but he has some moxie in him. He could turn into a very nice player

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
I think this was a critical year in DD's career. He was either going to fade away or start making incremental steps forward. He's done the latter. He's gained confidence and his skills have begun to translate well on the court. I'd say Giffey is another player who has taken huge strides this season. He's another player that has benefitted from a boost in confidence. For the player that comes in on the fringe, ie: a player who can be good but isn't a blue chipper, confidence is the key to unlocking their potential, IMO. Both players have benefitted from confidence boosts this season. a third player that has impressed recently is Nolan. He's a beanpole and doesn't look like he'll ever add a ton of weight but he has some moxie in him. He could turn into a very nice player
I also think Nolan has improved a great deal from the start of the season. He has a nice shot and isn't bad from the free throw line for a big man. I am looking forward to seeing where he is at this time next year. He MIGHT be another NBA prospect kinda like Hilton or Boone. Sometimes players just need the playing time!

caw

Reaction Score
Daniels is fast, he's not quick. He also has a very flat footed shot. He does have a ton of length though. His post-defense is actually solid because of his length and the fact he doesn't bite on shot-fakes. He has some great post moves. His fade away is pretty money. He needs to boost his 3PT% by 3-5 points and get it closer to 36-38% next year. Add a 15 foot pull up and he will be a beast on offense. He has some issues staying in front of a face up big though and he can be bodied (duh).

Next year Boatright, Napier and Daniels should all be over or near 14 a game. Calhoun should be at 10-12 and Giffey should be at 5-7. I know that would give UConn 57-61 from those five players but those are fairly reasonable averages for them, IMO. Of course that assumes Napier is back.

In regards to defending Porter. Both Calhoun and Daniels did a good job with Porter. Daniels owned him in the post. The final drive was a great travel play by Porter and not completely Daniels fault.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's Shabazz. It's easy to show improvement coming from deep on the bench to a starting role. Shabazz went from a erratic and sometimes maddening player to a top league player and leader. That's much more impressive.

If he never gets any better he'll have accomplished a great deal, but I think he has one more leap in him.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer