Dangerfield Among Finalists for Naismith HS POY | The Boneyard

Dangerfield Among Finalists for Naismith HS POY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

EDIT - Tweet clearly reads "semi-finalists," perhaps a mod can fix.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
They've now made the cut such that this thread title is now correct:

The finalists are (alpha order):

Erin Boley (Notre Dame)
Lauren Cox (Baylor)
Crystal Dangerfield (UConn)
Joyner Holmes (Texas)
Jackie Young (Notre Dame)

LINK

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They've now made the cut such that this thread title is now correct:

The finalists are (alpha order):

Erin Boley (Notre Dame)
Lauren Cox (Baylor)
Crystal Dangerfield (UConn)
Joyner Holmes (Texas)
Jackie Young (Notre Dame)

LINK
Wow--2 ND recruits!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Really? I hadn't noticed. ;):D
I don't know too much about Young, but I liked what I saw on Boley when we were recruiting her. I like her versatility and shot.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't think Holmes has had any kind of special season and Cox' numbers are nearly identical to last year's. Clearly, name/status play a big role in the nomination process.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
...and by the same token, being a Husky recruit doesn't hurt either.

Well, being a Husky who is rated extremely high individually and is having a fabulous senior season while carrying her team to a top-15 national ranking.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't know too much about Young, but I liked what I saw on Boley when we were recruiting her. I like her versatility and shot.

McGraw compares Young to Kayla McBride. Versatile wing, good size (5-11 to 6-1, depending on who you believe), can score prolifically (all-time Indiana HS leading scorer) but described as selfless and humble.

The funny thing about Boley is she is a Naismith finalist and will probably win her 3rd Gatorade KY POY award but isn't a lock for Kentucky Miss Basketball. Whitney Creech (headed to Western Kentucky) is averaging 50 points and 14 rebounds a game. Creech plays for a small-town Eastern KY school against other small Eastern KY schools. Her team only has 6 players, so she basically plays all game, every game even in huge blowouts.

Boley plays for a big school that plays a tough schedule and features multiple D-1 prospects. So the scoring is naturally spread out and she doesn't play much in blowouts, hence "only" averaging 25 and 11. She might lose out on the sheer numbers argument even though I don't think many people doubt Boley could torch those small-town Eastern KY teams, too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
McGraw compares Young to Kayla McBride. Versatile wing, good size (5-11 to 6-1, depending on who you believe), can score prolifically (all-time Indiana HS leading scorer) but described as selfless and humble.

The funny thing about Boley is she is a Naismith finalist and will probably win her 3rd Gatorade KY POY award but isn't a lock for Kentucky Miss Basketball. Whitney Creech (headed to Western Kentucky) is averaging 50 points and 14 rebounds a game. Creech plays for a small-town Eastern KY school against other small Eastern KY schools. Her team only has 6 players, so she basically plays all game, every game even in huge blowouts.

Boley plays for a big school that plays a tough schedule and features multiple D-1 prospects. So the scoring is naturally spread out and she doesn't play much in blowouts, hence "only" averaging 25 and 11. She might lose out on the sheer numbers argument even though I don't think many people doubt Boley could torch those small-town Eastern KY teams, too.
Thanks for the info! Indiana has has some great players. I think Shanna Zolman was also a prolific scorer. Kayla was not all that highly rated in high school, but she was very good at ND. Maybe even better than Skylar.

50 ppg for Creech will get voters' attention. The results could be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom