Dan Hurley interviewed by JJ Redick | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley interviewed by JJ Redick

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For the grande finale, need someone to go through UConn's film and splice in one example of each variation of each set within that interview.

Reaction Score
I know people were giving Murrary most of the credit for the offensive sets but it definitelys sounds like Hurley has transformed and changed his coaching style as he knows the game real well obviously. He isn't no Mike Anderson for sure! LOL! Amazing coach and so glad he is ours for a long time! Go UConn!!!

Reaction Score
Bizarro world listening to (and enjoying) JJ Reddick salivate at the feet of the UConn head coach, 20 yrs after we ripped out his heart and stomped on it (year of banner #2)
Hard for him to get excited for scheyers stand around offense?

Reaction Score
This thread has 4 iterations of the play.

Perhaps that the beauty of it. You can keep running the same set with the opposing team outsmarting themselves that the ‘choose your own adventure’ has got to change this time when UConn has the option to keep riding it until it breaks.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Wonder if LeBron would like to go to college? He has 4 years he never used. He could play with Bronny

Dude, be realistic. He could go G-league, he doesn’t need an education.

Classic Boneyard!

Reaction Score
JJ has grown me. Fantastic pod overall. He is doing another one with Lebron taking NBA basketball strategy which is awesome too.

Reaction Score
Both are students of the game. Was fun to listen in on a no BS interview with valuable insights and revelations. First time hearing JJ do an interview. Did a great job and had instant credibility with Danny because of his background and knowledge of the nuances of the game.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Incredible knowledge of the game. By both
We're lucky!!

Reaction Score
Reddick is a rock star Analyst, intelligent and really intuitive. Good interview and take any Hurley nuggets I can, but a lot of it is sounding alike at this point given how many interviews he takes. Can only produce so much new content.
IMO this one is better because of the depth of JJ’s questions. I too binge on all the appearances but feel like they bleed together.

This one is different.

Reaction Score
Interesting to hear Hurley admit his agent told him to be purposely evasive about the UK job. Most of us assumed that was the case but it was funny to hear him come out and say it.
Good example of what I was saying above. I’ve heard him say this on 3-4 different pods.

Reaction Score
I know people were giving Murrary most of the credit for the offensive sets but it definitelys sounds like Hurley has transformed and changed his coaching style as he knows the game real well obviously. He isn't no Mike Anderson for sure! LOL! Amazing coach and so glad he is ours for a long time! Go UConn!!!
Had the exact same takeaway.

Also been talking to a buddy about all the Luke shine lately and very little talk of Kimani. Have to wonder if that has any bearing on who stays long term and who looks for the next HC gig.

Reaction Score
Both are students of the game. Was fun to listen in on a no BS interview with valuable insights and revelations. First time hearing JJ do an interview. Did a great job and had instant credibility with Danny because of his background and knowledge of the nuances of the game.
If you’re an NBA fan you’ve got to follow old man and the 3 on YouTube. Tons and tons of A+ content.

Reaction Score
Crazy to say this for a Dukie but JJ is one of my favorite basketball personalities, NBA or college. I think coming off the bench for 6+ years really humbled him and made him a true student of the game, although now he's clearly an expert. Came a long way from the bacne era.

Reaction Score
It's ok to like certain individuals and despise the institution
Especially those who didn't beat us in the Dance

Reaction Score
No question coaches will be watching tons of UConn tape this summer to emulate the offense. I'm not so sure DH should be out there explaining it in detail though.

Reaction Score
No question coaches will be watching tons of UConn tape this summer to emulate the offense. I'm not so sure DH should be out there explaining it in detail though.
coaches don't need jj DH to explain the basics of what's going on....they're (mostly) not dumb.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

All the coaches can see what UConn does. But you need five players all willing to run the offense for the whole 30 seconds and run it hard knowing there is a 1 in 5 chance they get the shot. Then you need 5 good passers. And 3 or 4 very good shooters. Add in four ball handlers and a dominant post player.

And that’s just the offensive half.

Defense you need 3 wings who can switch interchangeably and one of those wings capable of guarding a 4. And then a dominant post presence who can guard the PNR and still recover to rim protect.

Some say it’s Jimmy’s and Joe’s, not X’s and O’s. Hurley’s plan needs both and you can’t piece meal it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

This is one of the more enlightening Hurley interviews you will find. Several gems in here, including a great discussion of how our offensive system was developed.

I can’t stand JJ Reddick. Can’t stand him. He’s like Gottlieb where he just says the stupidest s - - - imaginable all the time.

But this is a good interview.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom