Damned if you | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Damned if you

Reaction Score
Heading into the Sweet Sixteen, are our 2024 Huskies being viewed as extremely heavy favorites like the 1999 Duke Blue Devils? How has history treated that 1999 Duke team?

Reaction Score
The nonstop talk of inevitability of our championship is making me nervous.

We're in a no-win situation with all this adulation and expectations - win and people write it off as expected, and lose, there will be immense ridicule.

What are our chances of a three-peat? :)
Lol! I dont care. Let them talk, in fact ive already heard a few people say Uconn got lucky again with Auburn and FAU getting knocked off lol! If we win we will get critcized and if we lose we were overrated playing in a weak conference that got 3 bids. We go through this every single time we`re in the tourney with a legit shot at winning ever since the 99` natty.

Reaction Score
The nonstop talk of inevitability of our championship is making me nervous.

We're in a no-win situation with all this adulation and expectations - win and people write it off as expected, and lose, there will be immense ridicule.

What are our chances of a three-peat? :)
Maxw
I am having so much fun, and you should too. I’m 68 and feel like a kid at Christmas. Enjoy your Boneyard brethren, and root like hell come game day.

Secure Dog

Blue Collar = Blue Blood
Reaction Score
Maxw
I am having so much fun, and you should too. I’m 68 and feel like a kid at Christmas. Enjoy your Boneyard brethren, and root like hell come game day.
I am trying to stay away from it but after four days in Brooklyn and my interaction with the fans”tried to avoid Dook” fans. My only interaction was in the NW game. We had two fans in the row in front of us complained about the refs all game. I throwing shade a UConn players so I could not leave it alone. That story for another post.

Back to the fans of all the other teams. Think Avengers and Thanos and what he said about himself. That is the sentiment I got from most of the fans. For Mojo sake I am not going to write it. Saturday was a wet day and we had a bunch of JMU fans in our hotel. It was fairly close to where JMU was staying. We had a common conversation point “Dook dislike” I was really hoping they would have put up a better fight. They pretty much all left after their game and anyone that stayed was rooting against the monster from CT. But it was futile and they knew it.

Just like Tristen said when your fans are excited that you have cut the lead to 16 that is a fairly sad occurrence. Uconn was like a big cat more than a dog. They played with their kill for most of the game until deciding to put it out of its misery.

Reaction Score
Maxw
I am not that far behind in age, I was enrolled at UConn in 87 and experienced the dream season live. You may have seen the pictures I posted from the dream season here and in a fe other threads:

I, like many others here, spend a lot of time obsessing about our dear team(s, don’t forget the women). I’m enjoying this season and this incredibly likeable team big time.

NCAA tournament is one of the most difficult and unpredictable sporting event in the world. We have been heartbroken several times in the past with dominant teams, and also won championships out of nowhere (2011, 2014). My original post was about the degree of joy you get when you get a present on Christmas vs. a random unexpected day :)

We don’t live in a vacuum, what others say and think about us matters. Bragging rights are a big part of fandom. We look forward to all types of rankings and argue about how some of them got it wrong, and take umbrage at the lack of respect.

I know it’s all for fun and appreciate the responses and we’re all on the same team in these pages.

Reaction Score
This thread has me a bit bewildered…

We have moved on to a debate over whether we care what other teams say or think?

This whole topic is a bit tone deaf… At least for those of us that were around when we celebrated the NIT championship like it was the NCAA Tourney!

Let me remind you that we are in arguably the greatest sporting event in the world.

Every game we win should be savored, enjoyed to the fullest as we try to advance and repeat as no team has done since Florida. The odds are against us winning this thing regardless of what any other fan/talking head says.

Expected to win? Caring what other people think? Is that where we’re at now?

That‘s what Duke and NC fans do…

That’s not us.

We are UCONN. Let’s Bleed Blue and drop this topic off the map. Every win should be celebrated and enjoyed, forget the outside noise!

Peace out!

Reaction Score
This thread has me a bit bewildered…

We have moved on to a debate over whether we care what other teams say or think?

This whole topic is a bit tone deaf… At least for those of us that were around when we celebrated the NIT championship like it was the NCAA Tourney!

Let me remind you that we are in arguably the greatest sporting event in the world.

Every game we win should be savored, enjoyed to the fullest as we try to advance and repeat as no team has done since Florida. The odds are against us winning this thing regardless of what any other fan/talking head says.

Expected to win? Caring what other people think? Is that where we’re at now?

That‘s what Duke and NC fans do…

That’s not us.

We are UCONN. Let’s Bleed Blue and drop this topic off the map. Every win should be celebrated and enjoyed, forget the outside noise!

Peace out!
Ahh the NIT!! Was living in a 2 family in Willi, watching the game that night. The minute the game was over, you could hear people screaming in the streets of Willimantic.
Asked our neighbor to keep an eye on our sleeping baby and drove up to campus to meet the team. Some night!

Reaction Score
I disagree with the OP other than this. I prefer when the CB press isn't talking about us as much as favorites. However at some point if you are making a run the team is going to get noticed and hyped. Last year it took them a few games in to start really pushing the idea it seemed. All you can worry about is hoping to win the next one. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Ahh the NIT!! Was living in a 2 family in Willi, watching the game that night. The minute the game was over, you could hear people screaming in the streets of Willimantic.
Asked our neighbor to keep an eye on our sleeping baby and drove up to campus to meet the team. Some night!
I was there and it goes into the category Top Ten best nights ever.

People just don’t know that feeling… the feeling that we were no longer the punching bag of the Big East, we were announcing to BB World that we were changing… Full of Promise of things to come…

The feeling during that whole run and eventual championship was incredible…

So this whole ”expecting to win“ vs. “care what other people think“ Nah…. Not for me…

Every win is special.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
"Of course they won back to back titles, they were expected to. No one else had a chance."

362 schools in the country wish they had the opportunity to have that said about them. UConn is the only one that does. That's about as far from a no win situation as you can be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom