Crystal Dangerfield | The Boneyard

Crystal Dangerfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My goodness what is she eating? Because she has been on a mission with her scoring of late.

If she is everything she is displaying at the moment please keep the record books open. Don't close the book.

I won't be surprise if she's not running the point next year. Yes she may come off the bench, but how long will that last given Uconn doesn't have a true floor general after Jefferson departs?

That Dangerfield is Dangerous!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
My goodness what is she eating? Because she has been on a mission with her scoring of late.

If she is everything she is displaying at the moment please keep the record books open. Don't close the book.

I won't be surprise if she's not running the point next year. Yes she may come off the bench, but how long will that last given Uconn doesn't have a true floor general after Jefferson departs?

I know it's WAY early and don't want to start a debate over who starts and who comes off the bench, but given Chong's IT band and health issues, I would not be surprised to see starters of Dangerfield, Nurse, Williams, Samuelson and Tuck. yes of course a lot of ways to mix and match as I don't think even Geno will know who starts till mid November, but my point is that Crystal may just be that good. Huge shows to fill and a lot of pressure on that young lady's shoulders!

Reaction Score
lots of different starting line-ups in the fall, most likely, but my money on how it starts is: Kia at point; Lou at 2 guard; Gabby and Napheesa at wing, and Natalie at center....unless Morgan returns. Kyla is likely to get serious minutes underneath as well. Crystal (no "h" I've learned!) will get hers, too; just that playing point is a lot of responsibility and she may be better off getting her earliest minutes as a sub for 2 guard.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Topics like this are generally accompanied with links to pertinent information. Just saying.

Like this.

Reaction Score
If Morgan returns, because of her experience, Kia won't start. She may not start anyway. Crystal could very well start as Sue Bird bird did as a freshman, until she busted her leg in the 8th or 9 the game.(ucla)

Reaction Score
A lot of great points.

My thing with the point guard position though - true floor generals that is - that can handle the pressure once attacked with the press. They can break it down and know where to distribute the ball without becoming rattled or putting themselves in situations they can't get out of.

I hope Chong or Kia gains that experience and display it next season. And I say that because I haven't seen it much from them this season When put in those situations.

...Mostly that was due to the fact Mo handles that position very well and Geno has not had to depend on them to carry that part of the load. And he didn't need to. But next season is a different story altogether.

I did notice at times when they had to be trusted with the point guard duties, they've gotten into trouble. Kia with the self inflicted traps, or Chong picking up her dribble to soon.

However, they do have time to improve on those floor general duties. And I hope they do. I'm behind them.

I am also sure that yes Dangerfield will be tested, growing pains etc. But I love so far from what I've witness of her handling the rock. And not only in high school.

This kid has done pretty good handling the ball even in U.S.A. BB against some pretty decent world talent playing along side Stewie & Mo.

The experience of USA BB & AAU has paid dividends and it is now on display.

Nevertheless as many has stated it is totally up to Geno. And it is up to the players to persuade Geno otherwise.

Reaction Score
Topics like this are generally accompanied with links to pertinent information. Just saying.

Like this.

Everytime I watch that clip I put myself in the shoes of a Vol fan and I get piss!

Someone in Tennessee is heated whenever they see that clip. I can just imagine. Because when I first heard the news Dangerfield was Uconn bound I didn't believe it until I went to the recruiting site. And I had to check more than one recruiting site to be totally convince.

Reaction Score
If Morgan returns, because of her experience, Kia won't start. She may not start anyway. Crystal could very well start as Sue Bird bird did as a freshman, until she busted her leg in the 8th or 9 the game.(ucla)
There is a 0.0% chance Kia does not start next year if she's healthy. Where did all this Kia shouldn't/won't start crap come from anyway? She's one of our five best players right now, and will be again next season, therefore she starts. After 30 years and 10 national championships, I'd like to think Geno knows what he's doing when he decides who is going to be in his starting lineup.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I said (posted) the exact same thing about 3-4 days ago. Great minds think alike!! :cool:
I liken her to Arike Ogunbowale (freshman guard) at Notre Dame. Arike does not start, but Muffet can not keep her on the bench. I think this may very well be the case with Crystal. Especially if she can do some things no one else on the roster can do.

Reaction Score
It never fails. Every year we have incoming freshmen who absolutely will not only start, but will start in place of a senior. Crystal is a great recruit and the videos in the earlier posts are very impressive but we all have a problem remembering the transition from HS to D1 is very difficult especially for a point guard and especially at UConn. She looks like she will be a great PG but not in her freshman year. Lets not over hype her.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It never fails. Every year we have incoming freshmen who absolutely will not only start, but will start in place of a senior. Crystal is a great recruit and the videos in the earlier posts are very impressive but we all have a problem remembering the transition from HS to D1 is very difficult especially for a point guard and especially at UConn. She looks like she will be a great PG but not in her freshman year. Lets not over hype her.
As I have stated before, Ketia Swanier started at point guard as a freshman. Why do fans keep forgetting that? And I'm just guessing that Dangerfield is coming in better Swanier as a freshman.

Reaction Score
There is a 0.0% chance Kia does not start next year if she's healthy. Where did all this Kia shouldn't/won't start crap come from anyway? She's one of our five best players right now, and will be again next season, therefore she starts. After 30 years and 10 national championships, I'd like to think Geno knows what he's doing when he decides who is going to be in his starting lineup.
True and wise words! Kia will be there. She'll get the assignment for the summer that she will be playing a lot of point early next year (and my money is Lou at 2, with Napheesa and Gabby at wings, Natalie underneath [if Morgan doesn't return] and Kyla getting lots of playing time early). Crystal will be protected and work her way in gradually. Taking point on a team with this tradition is a whole lot to ask of a new freshman. Heck, Crystal might be better at first subbing at the 2 spot. She's a great shot, and she can work on her offense without the burden of running it also.

Carnac

Reaction Score

OK fiftyish, I get your drift. I understand your position, but allow me to further explain my take.
1. Saniya Chong has to be the senior you're referring to since she will be the only senior on the roster next year. Most seniors that are starters where starters as juniors. This is not the case.

I'm pretty sure Crystal won't begin the season as a starter, but I am suggesting that she may be a starter by the end of the season. I was very careful not to use the word will. Why? The starting PG position will be open with the departure of Jefferson. IF Crystal does at some point take over the starting PG position, she will not be taking over for a player that is starting RIGHT NOW.

2. We also don't know if Chong's IT band injury will be completely healed when the season begins in November. You, me and every other UConn fan hopes it is. But there's a chance that it won't, and she may only be able to see spot duty as a starter.

You are correct. The transition from HS to college is always a challenge. Its more difficult for some than others, especially point guards. Dangerfield may catch on quickly, or it may take her a full year. No one can tell at this point.

Crystal appears to be a clone of Jefferson. I think she's special. From the reports we've been getting, her basketball IQ is off the charts. We'll have to wait until she gets some game minutes once the season starts before we know for sure. Don't forget sir, Bria Hartley and Kia Nurse started as freshman, so it can happen. I didn't make a pronouncement of this nature about any of the incoming freshmen last year.
I play it by ear.

And please do not forget, I agreed with malevocalist that she may well be. I didn't say that she would, or she will. Anything can happen, but I'm pretty sure she'll start the season on the bench. IF she can do some things that Chong can not do, this will make her stock rise perpetually as the season progresses, and may cause Geno to make a change..........or not.

I could be totally wrong on this and be looking through dirty rose colored glasses. I'm saying there's something special about Crystal. If I'm wrong, you can serve me a cold plate of crow (crow like revenge is a dish best served chilled). ;) Everything I've stated is pure speculation, not fact.

I'll be here. I won't forget. I don't step out on very many limbs. We won't know until this time next year which one of us is correct.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Everytime I watch that clip I put myself in the shoes of a Vol fan and I get piss!
Why insinuate Vol fans have piss in their shoes? :confused::rolleyes:

I hope for your sake Geno agrees with your choice as your 0.0% chance exudes confidence in your knowledge of the team and the game. ;) Bad follow up though...:)

Do they use a smaller ball in high school?
I am sure we all would like to take one back now and then :D. To answer your question with no further sarcasm yes.

Basketball Sizes
Girls use a slightly smaller basketball in high school -- 28.5 to 29 inches in circumference and 18 to 20 oz. in weight. The boys' basketball is 29 to 30 inches in circumference and 20 to 22 oz.

Reaction Score
Carnac, great reasoned post. All good points and possibilities. I guess we will have to wait and see how Crystal develops. I hope she is a quick learner because I agree she does appear to be Mo reincarnated. Next year is going to be lots more fun because the games will be much more competitive.
Also, I never serve crow.....we're all speculating and guessing at this point.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I like Nurse as much as the next person, even when she's struggling to make shots as she has much of the year, but she's not really a PG. Anyone been watching recently? She struggles against pressure and ball-handling is not her greatest strength. She's better off moving, cutting, and driving. If the team is going to compete for a title next year they'll need several things to happen and one of them is for Dangerfield to take the reigns at some point.

Reaction Score
I like Nurse as much as the next person, even when she's struggling to make shots as she has much of the year, but she's not really a PG. Anyone been watching recently? She struggles against pressure and ball-handling is not her greatest strength. She's better off moving, cutting, and driving. If the team is going to compete for a title next year they'll need several things to happen and one of them is for Dangerfield to take the reigns at some point.

I don't agree with your assessment about Nurse as a pg. Though I don't know who will start and I agree she is better as a sg.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't agree with your assessment about Nurse as a pg. Though I don't know who will start and I agree she is better as a sg.

Tight pressure against Temple and she was in all kinds of trouble. That won't happen too often but it will at some point, especially when teams know it's an issue. She does not have the handle of pure point guards who have the ball in their hands constantly.

Reaction Score
one of them is for Dangerfield to take the reigns at some point.
Yup, we're just wondering whether that will be November or February.....

"Kia does not have the handle of pure point guards"
Right, but if this is the skill she must master short term, better ball handling will do her in good stead generally, so she'll be incentivized (plus, she's a great teammate). She doesn't have to approach Mo's level, just work with (say) Lou and Gabby at getting the ball over half court. No one is imagining that the offense next year will look like this one. It's got to be a series of pragmatic adjustments.

Reaction Score
Tight pressure against Temple and she was in all kinds of trouble. That won't happen too often but it will at some point, especially when teams know it's an issue. She does not have the handle of pure point guards who have the ball in their hands constantly.

1-- How many minutes was she the pg vs Temple?

2-- How many other games has she struggled playing pg?

Carnac

Reaction Score

Sluconn, we're looking through the same field glasses. Anyone that is a regular visitor or contributor to the boneyard knows about Crystal Dangerfield. We've been reading the periodic reports that have been posted. Its a pretty good guess that at some point Geno is going to hand her the reigns of the point guard position. Everyone in the yard can see her "driving the stage coach" the next 4 years (I like westerns).

We're all happy with Moriah Jefferson. She's an AA, and winner of the Nancy Lieberman award. She'd got 3 national championships in her back pocket (with room for a 4th). Her reputation precedes her where ever she goes. Moriah is at the pinnacle of her college basketball career. There is no "up" from here for her. Only on to the next level, the next challenge, the WNBA.

Many people see Dangerfield has a clone of Jefferson. Obviously she won't be at Jefferson's level of competency or confidence her first year. After she makes that sophomore leap, she'll continue to get better with every practice, and every game. It is expected that references and comparisons will be made between her and Jefferson early on in her career.

When Geno thinks she's ready, she'll get promoted. Until then, she's got to come to camp ready to work, and ready to learn how to play basketball "Geno's way". She's got to graduate from Geno's fall boot camp with high marks.

While we're all giddy about her, her arrival on campus, and what we think/hope she's going to do over the course of the season; to the coaching staff, she's just another "Rook/Boot" that has no idea what she's in for, or what she is suppose to do. In the beginning, everything she does will be wrong.

She's got to figure out how and where she fits in to the program. She'll begin camp at the bottom of the depth chart. She's got pay her dues, earn the respect of her coaches and her teammates, and gain their trust. Just like every other freshman before her. Other than that, the daily practices should be a piece of cake (a stroll in the park) for her.

We've been so lucky and blessed to have had the opportunity to watch the maturation and the development of Moriah Jefferson over the past 4 years. We can remember like it was yesterday when Geno recalled the first time he saw her at practice. He said "she looked like an escapee from the 8th grade".

Fast forward to today. She no longer looks like an 8th grader. Though small in stature,
she's grown into a beautiful young lady that now stands as a giant in the world of WCBB, garnering the respect and admiration of all where ever she goes.

We'll ALL miss Jefferson when she leaves. She's spoiled every one of us with her hustle, grit and resolve to win.
Like those before her, she and the rest of her classmates must move on. It's hard to eat cold beans and jerky when you've been use to dinning on the finest steak and lobster on a regular basis. Or drinking tap water after you've been use to imbibing the finest wines and spirits with your meals. People that are not UConn fans don't understand our plight. Four straight NC's. Cheering for and supporting a team that seldom loses. THAT would spoil anyone.

I must be honest here. The play of the starting unit (which some think will be the starting unit next year) against Cincinnati Wednesday evening, did not give me a reason to be optimistic going forward. As they began the evening, the Bearcats had a record of 7/17 (3-10). They were in 9th place in the conference, just above UCF and Houston.
The Bearcats are a second tier team in a conference comprised of mid-majors. Yet UConn's starting unit struggled to play them even during the first quarter.

I could not help but think what would that unit do against a team such as Ohio State, Maryland or Louisville?
I'm not so sure UConn would have won that evening had Geno let them play the majority of the game. That first quarter is what I'll take with me into the summer, hoping that what we saw that night was an aberration, never to be seen again.

I would love for anyone that reads this comment to respond with their take on UConn's outlook for next season.
I'm not jumping ship. I'm staying the course, win-lose or draw. Those are my girls. If they go down, I go with them.
I'm not a fair weather fan. I don't have "chicken Little" syndrome either, but I see storm clouds on the horizon.

What do YOU think the weather forecast will be for tomorrow? Cloudy with a strong chance of rain, or clear/sunny and a high of 85 degrees. I'll hang up and listen.

Happy Saturday everyone. :)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1-- How many minutes was she the pg vs Temple?

2-- How many other games has she struggled playing pg?

She wasn't really the PG, she just had control of the ball and struggled against pressure. Now it was pretty heavy pressure but, again, teams may do that more next year without a MoJeff to break it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom