• 7th in 3PA/FGA (48.8%); 71th w/ a 36 3P%
  • 47th in A/FGM (57.4%)
  • 52nd w/ a 75.4 FT%, but just 331st in FTA/FGM
  • 96th in turnover prevention
  • 181st in offensive tempo
  • 192nd in offensive rebounding rate

15th in Defensive efficiency
  • 1st in FTA/FGM prevention
  • 4th in 3PA/FGA prevention (27%); 39th in opp. 3P% (30.2%)
  • 5th in A/FGM prevention (37.9%)
  • 12th in defensive rebounding rate
  • 25th in opp. 2P% (44.6%)
  • Opponents spend 17.8 seconds/possession (283rd in tempo)
  • 362nd in turnovers caused rate

Results from first Big East games
  • OTL to Villanova 66-68
  • 67-72 L to Marquette
  • Four straight wins against Georgetown, Providence, DePaul and St. John’s
  • Non-conference losses to Colorado State
  • Non-conference wins to Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma State and Alabama
  • Non-conference schedule ranked 66th hardest
Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 6.17.46 PM.png

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

Steven Ashworth 6’1 170 senior transfer from Utah State

Trey Alexander 6’4 190 junior
  • 209th in usage rate
  • Team’s third highest rated defender

Baylor Scheierman 6’7 205 fifth-year returnee
  • 237th in usage rate; 395th in national offensive efficiency
  • Teams second highest rated defender

Mason Miller 6’9 190 sophomore
  • 6th nationally in offensive efficiency

Ryan Kalbrenner 7’1 270 senior
  • 71st nationally in offensive efficiency
  • Team’s highest rated defender
Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 6.13.14 PM.png

FREQUENTLY USED BENCH PIECES - 22.0% minutes (345th in nation)
  • Since the start of Big East play, Farabello is the only bench piece who has played 6+ minutes in consecutive conference games.
Francisco Farabello 6’3 180 fifth-year returnee
  • 426th nationally in offensive efficiency

UConn’s first half-dozen Big East opponents entered this season facing major roster facelifts while Creighton is one of the few teams in the conference with most of its key roster returning.

The biggest change has been Ryan Nembhard transferring to Gonzaga and Utah State senior Steven Ashworth taking his place in the starting lineup. After a 21.6% usage rate at Utah State, Ashworth’s rate has dipped to 16.9% at Creighton, who, along with Arthur Kaluma replacement Mason Miller, performs most of his scoring from the perimeter while opening up space for Kalkbrenner and Trey Alexander to generate most of their offensive from the inside.

Ashworth is still the team’s point guard, but, like UConn, the team shares the ball very well with Scheierman and Alexander actually posting higher assist rates than Ashworth. Simply put, Mason Miller is an elite spacer with size, but an ultra-low usage guy, so much of Creighton’s offense is based on a three-man game between Alexander/Kalkbrenner/Scheierman.

Speaking of their usage rate, the trio all played 38+ minutes in their last game against St. John’s, which features six players playing 22+ minutes, one with six (redshirt freshman forward Isaac Traudt) and two other forwards playing one minute. Like last year, elite spacer Francisco Farabello returns in his role off the bench and is playing even more this year. Considering his low usage rate, he and Ashworth almost never share the floor together, but when they do, Creighton basically turns their offensive strategy into a two-man game with Kalkbrenner and Alexander along with three spacers: Farabello, Ashworth and Miler.

A downside of Kaluma and Nembhard transferring out: more of their scoring emphasis is on Kalkbrenner/Scheierman/Alexander – they are responsible for 62.8% of the team’s scoring while last year, the trio scored 55.4% of the team’s total.

The good news: they’re even better this year. Kalkbrenner is still an elite two-way center, but he’s even more willing to let it rip from three (17% of FGAs are from three, compared to 6% last year). Alexander is still an excellent offensive creator, but he’s increased his efficiency inside the arc and is now truly an all-around guard thanks to his increased assist rate (23.8% compared to 15.1% last year. Scheierman is still one of the most underheralded excellent wings in the nation – he’s a tough, savvy two-way star who has managed to so far increase his usage rate and his efficiency ratings. He’s even been able to foul even less despite his aggressive style of play.

In terms of matchup, obviously the biggest concern is Kalkbrenner. He rarely sits and this is the smallest squad we’ve played against Creighton with Kalkbrenner in the lineup. There are some parallels between Kalkbrenner and Soriano and UConn was able to hold Soriano to just 14 points back in December. However, Soriano is not surrounded with teammates as talented as Alexander and Scheierman and also, he doesn’t play in a system that spaces as well as Creighton. I have trouble picturing UConn defending him effectively without fouling a lot. Singare’s got five fouls to give, right?

In terms of stylistic matchups, there are plenty of intriguing mixes to explore: UConn moves the ball beautifully, but Creighton is elite at defending assist opportunities. Creighton is also the best team in the nation at preventing free throw opportunities, so it’ll be tough for Newton and Castle to break down the defense and get to the bucket. Creighton shoots a ton of threes, and UConn does a nice job preventing perimeter opportunities. UConn is an elite offensive rebounding team; Creighton is an elite defensive rebounding team. Creighton is also excellent at defending the perimeter, but Miller is one of their weakest defenders, so it’ll be interesting to see how Karaban plays against him when he’s at the power forward spot.

I’m not going to lie, with Clingan still out, this is easily the toughest matchup UConn has faced since the Kansas game. However, if Clingan can play…verrrrrry different story.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
This is going to be a tough one, no doubt. Baylor is a weapon and big as hell, Kalk... is good. And even bigger. They shoot well from 3 and have presence in the paint but hopefully our small ball game will outmaneuver them.

Reaction Score
Creighton (13-4)
#15 in KenPom
35h in minutes continuity (62.6%)

23rd in Offensive efficiency
  • 3rd w/ a 61.4 2P%
  • 47th in A/FGM (57.4%)

• OTL to Villanova 66-68
  • 67-72 L to Marquette
View attachment 95177

• 209th in usage rate

View attachment 95176
  • Since the start of Big East play, Farabello is the only bench piece who has played 6+ minutes in consecutive conference games.

UConn’s first half-dozen Big East opponents entered this season facing major roster facelifts while Creighton is one of the few teams in the conference with most of its key roster returning.

The biggest change has been Ryan Nembhard transferring to Gonzaga and Utah State senior Steven Ashworth taking his place in the starting lineup. After a 21.6% usage rate at Utah State, Ashworth’s rate has dipped to 16.9% at Creighton, who, along with Arthur Kaluma replacement Mason Miller, performs most of his scoring from the perimeter while opening up space for Kalkbrenner and Trey Alexander to generate most of their offensive from the inside.

Ashworth is still the team’s point guard, but, like UConn, the team shares the ball very well with Scheierman and Alexander actually posting higher assist rates than Ashworth. Simply put, Mason Miller is an elite spacer with size, but an ultra-low usage guy, so much of Creighton’s offense is based on a three-man game between Alexander/Kalkbrenner/Scheierman.

Speaking of their usage rate, the trio all played 38+ minutes in their last game against St. John’s, which features six players playing 22+ minutes, one with six (redshirt freshman forward Isaac Traudt) and two other forwards playing one minute. Like last year, elite spacer Francisco Farabello returns in his role off the bench and is playing even more this year. Considering his low usage rate, he and Ashworth almost never share the floor together, but when they do, Creighton basically turns their offensive strategy into a two-man game with Kalkbrenner and Alexander along with three spacers: Farabello, Ashworth and Miler.

A downside of Kaluma and Nembhard transferring out: more of their scoring emphasis is on Kalkbrenner/Scheierman/Alexander – they are responsible for 62.8% of the team’s scoring while last year, the trio scored 55.4% of the team’s total.

The good news: they’re even better this year. Kalkbrenner is still an elite two-way center, but he’s even more willing to let it rip from three (17% of FGAs are from three, compared to 6% last year). Alexander is still an excellent offensive creator, but he’s increased his efficiency inside the arc and is now truly an all-around guard thanks to his increased assist rate (23.8% compared to 15.1% last year. Scheierman is still one of the most underheralded excellent wings in the nation – he’s a tough, savvy two-way star who has managed to so far increase his usage rate and his efficiency ratings. He’s even been able to foul even less despite his aggressive style of play.

In terms of matchup, obviously the biggest concern is Kalkbrenner. He rarely sits and this is the smallest squad we’ve played against Creighton with Kalkbrenner in the lineup. There are some parallels between Kalkbrenner and Soriano and UConn was able to hold Soriano to just 14 points back in December. However, Soriano is not surrounded with teammates as talented as Alexander and Scheierman and also, he doesn’t play in a system that spaces as well as Creighton. I have trouble picturing UConn defending him effectively without fouling a lot. Singare’s got five fouls to give, right?

In terms of stylistic matchups, there are plenty of intriguing mixes to explore: UConn moves the ball beautifully, but Creighton is elite at defending assist opportunities. Creighton is also the best team in the nation at preventing free throw opportunities, so it’ll be tough for Newton and Castle to break down the defense and get to the bucket. Creighton shoots a ton of threes, and UConn does a nice job preventing perimeter opportunities. UConn is an elite offensive rebounding team; Creighton is an elite defensive rebounding team. Creighton is also excellent at defending the perimeter, but Miller is one of their weakest defenders, so it’ll be interesting to see how Karaban plays against him when he’s at the power forward spot.

I’m not going to lie, with Clingan still out, this is easily the toughest matchup UConn has faced since the Kansas game. However, if Clingan can play…verrrrrry different story.
Ehhh I think UNC was tougher. Should be a good one

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If we had a healthy Clingan I’d feel much better. Our problem is interior defense and rebounding. Every team knows that. Creighton has the size and coaching to make this the hardest matchup since Clingan went out. We have to hit our threes and rebound. Playing at home at Gampel should give us an advantage.

I still think we’re the better team but I see this being the closest game of the year.

Reaction Score
One of the bad matchups with our Clingan-less team. Rebounding is critical and we don’t seem to have the answers there. They don’t shoot it well all the time so we can hope we get that team. Castle on Alexander and AK on Scheierman would seem logical but the way SJ has been playing Kalks an issue in this one.

We just shot 13-23 from 3 and help the Hoyas to 35% shooting and we couldn’t blow them out. Will need to shoot it real good again to have a chance in this one, and by no means do I think Creighton is better than us with DC.

Throw the ball up, let’s see what happens. If DC is still in question no rush this game is bigger for them than us!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I almost want to see Johnson come off the bench and just go small ball to start off the game. Johnson has shown he's a foul problem waiting to pop up every game.

I'm also torn between starting Diarra or go with a big splash and start Stewie. Regardless, use Karaban to start on Kalkbrenner and double team him every time he gets it in the post. Just let AK know to stay on his feet and don't even bother contesting hooks and turnarounds by Kalkbrenner. Stay on the floor and get position for rebounds.

Johnson is still so green and new to playing organized D1 basketball for an expected 30 mpg he just doesn't know when to put the foot on the gas pedal and when to back off. And he did it again against Gtown where he gets at least one foul a game just by being off balance and stumbling around in to someone. Make it easy on him and put him in the role he is best at- change of pace running 5 who runs the floor in transition, rim runs on offense and protects the glass on D. (And no one will be happier than me if Johnson has his best game of the year and I have to eat crow over this entire post being wrong).

Reaction Score
I almost want to see Johnson come off the bench and just go small ball to start off the game. Johnson has shown he's a foul problem waiting to pop up every game.

I'm also torn between starting Diarra or go with a big splash and start Stewie. Regardless, use Karaban to start on Kalkbrenner and double team him every time he gets it in the post. Just let AK know to stay on his feet and don't even bother contesting hooks and turnarounds by Kalkbrenner. Stay on the floor and get position for rebounds.

Johnson is still so green and new to playing organized D1 basketball for an expected 30 mpg he just doesn't know when to put the foot on the gas pedal and when to back off. And he did it again against Gtown where he gets at least one foul a game just by being off balance and stumbling around in to someone. Make it easy on him and put him in the role he is best at- change of pace running 5 who runs the floor in transition, rim runs on offense and protects the glass on D. (And no one will be happier than me if Johnson has his best game of the year and I have to eat crow over this entire post being wrong).

No not Alex on Kalk because he’s too important. We just proved we can win without SJ playing a lot we will not win with Alex in foul trouble all game. Alex has shown he can’t shy away from the occasional stupid foul as well so let’s not subject him to a situation he may feel the need to be more physical, hence giving crappy officials the opportunity to call stuff on him.

SJ or zone if DC not around. I know Kalk is soft but we’ve seen SJ lately just prone to fouling. Zone is probably not happening but this game would provide the need if things go wrong early.

Reaction Score
I think we’ll definitively see AK vs Kalkbrenner for some decent stretches and I think AK is up for it

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No not Alex on Kalk because he’s too important. We just proved we can win without SJ playing a lot we will not win with Alex in foul trouble all game. Alex has shown he can’t shy away from the occasional stupid foul as well so let’s not subject him to a situation he may feel the need to be more physical, hence giving crappy officials the opportunity to call stuff on him.

SJ or zone if DC not around. I know Kalk is soft but we’ve seen SJ lately just prone to fouling. Zone is probably not happening but this game would provide the need if things go wrong early.

I trust Alex's learning curve on how to play the post without fouling over Johnson's. If my memory is correct Alex has been playing organized ball much longer than Johnson and just has a better sense of playing long stretches on the floor.

Reaction Score
I actually don’t think Kalkbrenner is a terrible matchup for Johnson. He’s a lot less physical than the bigs he’s struggled with.

He just needs to stay out of foul trouble
I’m afraid Kalkbrenner will eat Samson’s lunch on the PnR.

Reaction Score
2- How do the metrics account for the effects of $2 beer night at Gampel?
Post/handle/avatar

Not enough sample size for reliable metrics, but the trends will become more clear (or blurry?) as more $2 beer are scheduled.

Another matchup for UConn to take advantage of: turnovers.

In both of Creighton's Big East losses, Creighton gave up 16+ turnovers. UConn's defense tends to predicate tough shot selection over generating turnovers, but UConn's steal rate does rank 4th in Big East conference play. Between Spencer/Castle/Newton, UConn's got a few capable pick-pocketers.

Reaction Score
Will be our toughest game since Kansas. Crash the boards/solid D/three pointers going down for us. Kalk will "get" his points. Limit their 3 pt shooters-run them off the line(Baylor/Ashworth).

Might come down to managing our fouls and our FT shooting. They are a highly efficient defense that is able to keep their starting five on the floor for long stretches and out of foul trouble.

Hopefully our depth and occasional small ball change of pace can beat them down the floor for easy transition buckets. Their Big Three vs our team. Let's hold serve at home. Would be a big W.

Reaction Score
Creighton (13-4)
#15 in KenPom
35h in minutes continuity (62.6%)

23rd in Offensive efficiency
  • 3rd w/ a 61.4 2P%
  • 47th in A/FGM (57.4%)

• OTL to Villanova 66-68
  • 67-72 L to Marquette
View attachment 95177

• 209th in usage rate

View attachment 95176

@Hey Adrien! Great report. Based on our starting five vs theirs. Do you see Danny matching up Steph vs. Baylor? If yes and for long durations. That could be one of the keys to the game and I like Steph's athleticism on both sides of the ball vs Baylor's experience.

Reaction Score
Scheierman might be the best player in the conference so far this year so we'll definitely have to key in on him defensively. Most 3's per game in the conference, gets to the line where he's 87%, active on the glass, averages 18/8, guy is no joke.

Kalkbrenner is a difference maker defensively but Scheierman is the guy who can score 30 on you on any given night

Reaction Score
The way we've been struggling on the boards and SJ's propensity to foul lately makes this a game we can easily lose. And if the staff can't resurrect the Soriano game Samson, Krankmeyer will run roughshod over him.

Reaction Score
This is certainly an interesting matchup, and it's going to play out differently than our last few games. I'm really intrigued. (I am assuming Clingan won't play with the following thoughts).

Ashworth can't guard Castle or Newton, so I'm not sure they can switch. They'll probably stick to their normal base D which funnels everything into Kalkbrenner. They'll sag way off Castle and Johnson to cut off driving lanes. St. John's did a lot of damage in the midrange, and I could see Castle taking a few more midrange jumpers in this one.

Meanwhile, one of the things Johnson actually does extremely well is to be a vertical player. On D, he can help take away the PnR lob to Kalkbrenner, which few guys can. But our guards are going to have to do a good job locking and trailing around the picks so their guards don't just get layups while we worry about Kalk. Since we don't really help off shooters and really won't want to help off Miller, Scheierman, Farabello, or Ashworth, it's even tougher on the guards.

If we go small ball, we will roast Kalkbrenner. He can't guard the perimeter and their D is explicitly setup to clog the middle with him. Pulling him out causes all kinds of problems for their defense (see their loss to Nova a couple weeks backs.). And the nice thing is that they don't have the personnel to crash the boards like Xavier or Georgetown did to punish the lineup. Scheierman is a good positional rebounder, but much worse on the offensive end. Between him and Miller they don't have the athleticism on the wings. Kalkbrenner will likely dominate on rolls against the small ball lineup and get a few orebs, but we may just be able to outscore them, especially at home on a $2 beer night.

This feels like a game with chess pieces that don't line up. It'll be a very asymmetric game. Should be fun.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hate this game without Donovan.
Uh oh, Clingan's not playing. I was hoping that we might be able to get a few spot visits from him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom