CPTV Harriet, do you still read this board? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CPTV Harriet, do you still read this board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
I agree... DD, Meyers, and DiggerPhelpsFoot would do a fine job for the Boneyard but someday it would make my day to see a show with HuskyNan, Biff, JS, Kib, Tony & DD as guests. Our mods are excellent even though I rarely agree with them on the really important stuff and Kib, Tony and DD are wonderfully representative of the characters that frequent this den of arrogantly joyful despair.

YOPB

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
possibly, but my issue with DiMauro was his generalization - of course, I could be too sensitive...but including them would show many facets of the Boneyard regulars.

UConnCat would be another...and Ice, too....there are many...
No one would get a word in if Ice was there.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
While this idea undeniably has merit, if anyone is going to represent this group - or have the opportunity to do so - I submit it should at the very least include one or more of the long-standing mods (Huskynan, etc...).
She's too smart to want to have anything to do with this. :cool:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
LOL
- of course, calling the BY out as he did, knowing that we watch this stuff actually protects their anonymity - we know that they read the board - if they are posters on the board, having us respond to them as we did prevents their reaching out to us on the board...

just a thought

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My biggest problem with what Mike said was that ND's first 3 where about equal to UCONN's first 3. Then ND's next 4 are a bit better then UCONN's next 4.

Loyd, McBride and Achonwa are better than Hartley, Stewart and Dolson????? Seriously?? At what?? Sure isn't basketball. And that doesn't even include KML.

If KML is back then the next 4/5 are
KML, Jefferson, Stokes, Banks, Chong vs Braker, Mabrey, Wright, Reimer, Allen. Maybe a bit better, without KML, but with her.....I doubt it.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
What makes us think Mike will agree to do the show with Boneyarders?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not all Boneyarders live in CT. For some of the folks mentioned, a trip to CT would be an unmanagable trek.

As for me, I refuse to dignify an insult. If someone wants to debate facts, sure, although I'm not a good extemporaneous speaker but I don't care to squabble over Mike DiMauro's name-calling. You know what they say about wrestling with a pig. (I am not calling MD a pig. A pig is used in the saying, that's all.). But if DD wants to argue with him, I'm cooking up a batch of popcorn and popping open a bottle of wine for the spectacle.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm loving this DD. FWIW I doubt DD will "squabble" with him, rather he'll express an opposing viewpoint in a thoughtful manner. Also, while I'm sure DD would be a fine spokesperson, he's not 'representing the Boneyard' he's just expressing an opinion on a single column. I'd avoid letting him dance all over the place or try to make it about the Boneyard. It isn't. JMO, though.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm loving this DD. FWIW I doubt DD will "squabble" with him, rather he'll express an opposing viewpoint in a thoughtful manner. Also, while I'm sure DD would be a fine spokesperson, he's not 'representing the Boneyard' he's just expressing an opinion on a single column. I'd avoid letting him dance all over the place or try to make it about the Boneyard. It isn't. JMO, though.
Well, his original article had KML not close to 100% and based on all reports! by the time the tourney comes! she will be close. By the time ND and Uconn meet she will be as good as she has been all year.

So, do I argue his original premise? I am willing to do that. We will see if he is. And I will very politely ask of he really meant to say that a group of people he has never met that include many professional people, doctors, lawyers, business owners are the dumbest people on the planet.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I love this! I suggested it earlier today on another thread, and have long hoped for such a thing. Be sure you tape it for those of us out of state!

Reaction Score
Will there be a cage?!

"Let's get ready to rumble" You realize that it would be almost impossible for the event to live up to it's expectations. ( Unless there were a few folding chairs within arms reach ) ;)

Reaction Score
Well, his original article had KML not close to 100% and based on all reports! by the time the tourney comes! she will be close. By the time ND and Uconn meet she will be as good as she has been all year.

So, do I argue his original premise? I am willing to do that. We will see if he is. And I will very politely ask of he really meant to say that a group of people he has never met that include many professional people, doctors, lawyers, business owners are the dumbest people on the planet.

Either way (original premise or not), I'm sure you'll do just fine. Based on the facts, he'll be on the losing side of that argument.
Just don't let him squirm his way out of the dumbest people on the planet comment by some "Can't you take a joke" response.
I watched the video a couple of times. There was real animosity that went along with that statement.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
and don't let him weasel out with a well you're okay but the rest of them are morons. I'm looking forward to it.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Not all Boneyarders live in CT. For some of the folks mentioned, a trip to CT would be an unmanagable trek.

As for me, I refuse to dignify an insult. If someone wants to debate facts, sure, although I'm not a good extemporaneous speaker but I don't care to squabble over Mike DiMauro's name-calling. You know what they say about wrestling with a pig. (I am not calling MD a pig. A pig is used in the saying, that's all.). But if DD wants to argue with him, I'm cooking up a batch of popcorn and popping open a bottle of wine for the spectacle.

+1! An hour of must-see TV!

Last edited by a moderator:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I can see holding some talks with Jacobs, and even making it an occasional series through the year (years ahead), as he is semi-rational, and at least has enough of a sense of humor and business savvy to play up the death threats, which could make for some cool visuals if dd brought a bag of cement or one of those smallish neck-chopper contraptions.

OTOH, as Nan says, feeding the troll is undignified and bringing MD into these types of events feeds his MO of putting his name and UConn-flames out for greater publicity. You cannot expect to win an argument with quicksand, and make no mistake, Mikey like creationist crackpots is very good at picking up on any little bit of the unknown or the small negatives and using it to "prove" his point.

"So you agree that Notre Dame has a higher scoring average this year? So isn't scoring points the goal? Then, why are you all persecuting me for wearing my green tie for the favorite? And are you absolutely sure that Mosqueda-Lewis will be 100%?" There is nothing to him, and nothing to pin down on any point.

Or

"You agree that those cheers just now for Strother's 3-pointer were a little louder than those for Turner's put-back? Well obviously that just shows that UConn fans are racist." Even if the whole front line of one of the most beloved teams in history in 2001-02 consisted of Ashja, Swin and Tamika, you still can't "disprove" that his vapors aren't real.

Don't feed the BC troll.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
While this idea undeniably has merit, if anyone is going to represent this group - or have the opportunity to do so - I submit it should at the very least include one or more of the long-standing mods (Huskynan, etc...).

She's too smart to want to have anything to do with this.

See. Told ya. ;)

Reaction Score
I understand your sentiment ( Don't feed the trolls ) and generally agree with that approach. And it's not like this is a life and death matter. However, because of the blanket insult of all boneyarders and the sheer entertainment value, I would love to see a televised confrontation. "The light of day is the best disinfectant"

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I've been trying to keep somewhat mum about this, but I've been in contact with Jacobs as well. While I've told that if he only takes one it should be doggydaddy, there is a chance that we could be a tag team.

I've been mum because I would not want to tip my hand too much. I see this as an opportunity, not to one up a reporter or to vindicate the Boneyard, but to bring to light why an opinion piece gets written. In other words, my part of the tag team would not be so much to argue (after all, who can do that better than doggydaddy?), but to question.

I have to admit, one thing that disturbs me is how defensive some Boneyarder are over this. There's been name-calling, ridicule, long diatribes and even an occasional dumb post. We shoot ourselves in the foot at times. My approach would be rather to play the part of a curious sports fan, wondering (and exposing) how journalists sometimes come about the pieces they write.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
My approach would be rather to play the part of a curious sports fan, wondering (and exposing) how journalists sometimes come about the pieces they write.
Good luck on that. So would dd ask Jeff about the "someone at UConn" who supposedly provided the inspiration for the white faces article? Would he ask Jeff to rehash MD's turning the Danny O'Shaughnessy article into the misogynist rant? That's MD stuff, the volatile ones, that certain BYers probably might want addressed.

Most of Jeff's articles are not about the women, of whom he's done about seven pieces since the start of the season. None of them have been particularly controversial or really make you wonder where they came from. An article about KML's injury likely was written because KML got injured. An article about the Duke game seemed to have been written because UConn played Duke. Articles about MoJeff, Stewie and the Baylor game have clear starting points. Two pieces about places for women coaches and the nonconference schedule come straight from Geno interviews.

Sure, the Horde and its relation to Geno and the team is always a subject worth exploring. But what you'd be hoping dd to (expose) in a chat with Jeff is what I'm not sure of. And this is probably just another of the aforementioned diatribes, but anything gotten out of a debate with MD about motives would likely pretty deceitful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom