Cox & McCoy | The Boneyard

Cox & McCoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's been a lot of discussion about them but the recruiting site doesn't specifically say have been offered. Anyone got any newer info?

HGN

Reaction Score
I have not heard anything......But we have time to recruit both. With this being Kiah's last rodeo we could use at least one of them even though we got Butler coming in.

From the little tape I have seen on them , both are very good. And at 6'4 they can play the 3, 4 , or 5 for us. I would bet that Geno and CD are eyeing both.

Reaction Score
I would love to see both of them and Brown at UCONN.

Butler will be a junior the year they could come in.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I don't have any inside scoop, but the Champaign newspaper has McCoy holding an offer from Geno. Believe what you choose, of course.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Sonny44 said:
Interesting, thanks.

HuskyNan usually keeps up-to-date information on recruiting for UConn should be in the links above or in the blog section, I'm not sure which, and I'm on my phone so navigation is a bit tricky on the site otherwise I'd look for it and tell you

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Here is the link
Bad news - it looks as though it hasn't been updated in a while which is odd for Nan.
Good news: Both Cox and McCoy are listed.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Both are high on our list. From what I understand, recruiting Cox may be futile since the word is she wants to stay close to home. We will see eventually if she's open to coming to UCONN...

Reaction Score
Both are high on our list. From what I understand, recruiting Cox may be futile since the word is she wants to stay close to home. We will see eventually if she's open to coming to UCONN...
What list? Who's list? Where?

Reaction Score

I hope Joyner Holmes is on this list because she has been the best player on the U17 team.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If I had to pick only one player on the U17 team that was in the 2016 class, I'd choose Joyner Holmes closely followed by Arike Ogunbowale. IMHO both are more ready to play immediately. Cox and Mulkey will take more time to develop. I also like Sabrina Ionescu's game, but team needs more size going forward.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If I had to pick only one player on the U17 team that was in the 2016 class, I'd choose Joyner Holmes closely followed by Arike Ogunbowale. IMHO both are more ready to play immediately. Cox and Mulkey will take more time to develop. I also like Sabrina Ionescu's game, but team needs more size going forward.

Your first sentence is confusing and suggests Ogunbowale is in the 2016 class w/ Joyner. Ogunbowale is class of 2015 and has been thought to favor Duke for academic reasons. We'll see if news about another transfer affects her decision.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

Not necessarily, at least on the surface. On May 23, 2014, Rich Elliott posted this: "Cox, who averaged 18.9 points, 14.1 rebounds and 4.8 blocks for Flower Mound High this past season, does not have a list of schools formulated yet. She said will visit some out-of-state schools this summer and that location will not be a deciding factor in her final decision." LINK

Reaction Score
IMHO Lauren Cox is the most fundamentally sound post on the u17's. I do not think she would take the longest to develop, although you never know with young recruit. For one so young she just seems to play the game with a calm confidence.

I made the statement in another thread that perhaps Katie Lou could be of some help in recruiting her. The way Kaleena did with Stewie, who she was calling 6'10 at the time. There has been speculation that Cox wants to stay close to home. Who would be better to talk to than Katie Lou. You would have thought that
Katie Lou would stay at home to be with her sisters, but she didn't. She proved me wrong, and decided to come way across the country to play with the best at UCONN !

So who knows, anything can happen.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Not necessarily, at least on the surface. On May 23, 2014, Rich Elliott posted this: "Cox, who averaged 18.9 points, 14.1 rebounds and 4.8 blocks for Flower Mound High this past season, does not have a list of schools formulated yet. She said will visit some out-of-state schools this summer and that location will not be a deciding factor in her final decision." LINK

I like our chances. I have never seen a source, reliable or otherwise, cited togive substance to the persistent rumor (or myth) that she won't leave Texas. She has had Katie Lou and De'Janae as USA teammates and that surely cannot hurt our chances. Note, too, in the linked blog, that she went to Dallas to watch UConn and commented that she has watched our Huskies often on TV.

She is rated #1 recruit in her class. Don't forget Geno's consistent success at reeling in top-rated recruits.

Lots of positive indicators. So I like our chances.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO Lauren Cox is the most fundamentally sound post on the u17's. I do not think she would take the longest to develop, although you never know with young recruit. For one so young she just seems to play the game with a calm confidence.

I made the statement in another thread that perhaps Katie Lou could be of some help in recruiting her. The way Kaleena did with Stewie, who she was calling 6'10 at the time. There has been speculation that Cox wants to stay close to home. Who would be better to talk to than Katie Lou. You would have thought that
Katie Lou would stay at home to be with her sisters, but she didn't. She proved me wrong, and decided to come way across the country to play with the best at UCONN !

So who knows, anything can happen.
I thought Holmes was the most fundamentally sound, and after seeing them both for 3 games, Joyner Holmes is my #1 kid in the class. But I would take her, Cox and Ionescu in a heartbeat.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Cox and Mulkey are light years apart. Despite her odd shooting choices in this tournament, Cox has terrific interior moves and ability. She shot 55% in last year's U-16 Tourney. She's a great athlete--plays volleyball and runs track--and moves around the court effortlessly. She's just not a finished product yet. But if you want someone who is a mega rebounder, excellent passer at 6-4, great shot blocker, has the footwork to defend perimeter players, has low post moves and developing outside touch, she's the player you want.

Holmes has been extremely impressive, but I still believe Cox has the most all-around upside.

Reaction Score
Cox and Mulkey are light years apart. Despite her odd shooting choices in this tournament, Cox has terrific interior moves and ability. She shot 55% in last year's U-16 Tourney. She's a great athlete--plays volleyball and runs track--and moves around the court effortlessly. She's just not a finished product yet. But if you want someone who is a mega rebounder, excellent passer at 6-4, great shot blocker, has the footwork to defend perimeter players, has low post moves and developing outside touch, she's the player you want.

Holmes has been extremely impressive, but I still believe Cox has the most all-around upside.
Can she jump as high as Stef?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Can she jump as high as Stef?

We should put a piece of paper in front of her on the floor to see how far she can jump.

Seriously, she has a lot of Dolson's skills but more athleticism and significantly more quickness. The scoring skills are still a bit unrefined but they were with Steph until she was at least a sophomore at UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't look at what they score I look at how they score, fast break layups don't count, how they score in the post, footwork, and IQ, how they play defense, defensive IQ,

These kids are good players, they do have a lot to work on but they have time,

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Cox IMO is the best blocker on the team, she has great anticipation, she has also improved as the games went on ie she is not jacking up shots at will as do some others when they are double or triple teamed. The posts have been big enough to dominate in a lot of games but it is easy to pad rebounds when you are missing your own lay ups.

Reaction Score
My 15 year old niece is in the same situation with her Lacrosse career. Takes a lot of courage and discipline, but worth it to her.
Got a nice scholarship too.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
tricky - yet she sounds like a star....looking forward to finding out where she is looking at schools.

Reaction Score
I don't look at what they score I look at how they score, fast break layups don't count, how they score in the post, footwork, and IQ, how they play defense, defensive IQ,

These kids are good players, they do have a lot to work on but they have time,

Fast break layups matter if you're talking about a big, it means they are running the floor, which is very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom