Coverage of First Night in the Courant | The Boneyard

Coverage of First Night in the Courant

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Nice articles and photos of First Night. Paul Doyle's story has some nice quotes. Geno implored fans to support the men's and women's teams with sell-outs.

After the introductions, the coaches spoke. Ollie thanked alumni players for paving the way for him. Auriemma urged fans to attend both men's and women's games throughout the season. He talked about iconic programs such as Kentucky and North Carolina, places where the fan bases have national reputations.

"Listen to me — everybody in the country talks about those teams and the fans that they have," Auriemma said. "Here's the problem: You have something those other teams will never have. You 've got us."

The fans approved the message. They cheered, and a few screamed, "We love you, Geno."

Katie Lou was interviewed after the 3-point contest:

"I just went out there and shot it," Samuelson told Joe D'Ambrosio on the court. "That's what I do."

We hope you do that a lot Lou, and that most of them go in.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...-basketball-showcase-1017-20151016-story.html

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
what are the ticket prices of Kentucky and North Carolina... and how often does the temperture drop into the 20's

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
One of the Courant's photos somehow describes Napheesa Collier as Christian Foxen. Now, I know they both wear #24 but you'd think someone there would know the difference.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As basketball returned at UConn, Gampel was at full capacity. Fans were lining up hours before the doors opened and some were turned away just before the night's program began.

"That's unbelievable that we got that many people to come here," Geno Auriemma said. "That just shows you how much they love UConn basketball. There's nothing like it in the country."

Not be belabor the point, but AFTER you fill every seat, you would think the University would find a way to make this once-a-year celebration accessible to all of their fans.
Duke had their version of first night broadcast on national TV (ESPN) last night. I only watched 10 minutes of it. Not being a Duke fan, it had no appeal to me. There's too much fan interest not to livestream or broadcast this program to the rest of the country. Where there's a will, there's a way. Remove whatever obstacles there may be, and get it done.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
As basketball returned at UConn, Gampel was at full capacity. Fans were lining up hours before the doors opened and some were turned away just before the night's program began.

"That's unbelievable that we got that many people to come here," Geno Auriemma said. "That just shows you how much they love UConn basketball. There's nothing like it in the country."

Not be belabor the point, but AFTER you fill every seat, you would think the University would find a way to make this once-a-year celebration accessible to all of their fans.
Duke had their version of first night broadcast on national TV (ESPN) last night. I only watched 10 minutes of it. Not being a Duke fan, it had no appeal to me. There's too much fan interest not to livestream or broadcast this program to the rest of the country. Where there's a will, there's a way. Remove whatever obstacles there may be, and get it done.
you didnt take you "morning after" pill? ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"I just went out there and shot it," Samuelson told Joe D'Ambrosio on the court. "That's what I do."

Sorta echoes a remark by Stewie about KLS's shot: 'I played with her in the summer and throughout practices this fall and she’s a great shooter,” Stewart said of Samuelson. “That’s something I don't think is going to fluctuate with her. She’s going to make those shots, it’s a great way to impact the floor. She’s very confident in that and it’s only going to help her.”

http://dailycampus.com/stories/2015/10/16/uconn-kicks-off-basketball-season-first-night

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice articles and photos of First Night. Paul Doyle's story has some nice quotes. Geno implored fans to support the men's and women's teams with sell-outs.

After the introductions, the coaches spoke. Ollie thanked alumni players for paving the way for him. Auriemma urged fans to attend both men's and women's games throughout the season. He talked about iconic programs such as Kentucky and North Carolina, places where the fan bases have national reputations.

"Listen to me — everybody in the country talks about those teams and the fans that they have," Auriemma said. "Here's the problem: You have something those other teams will never have. You 've got us."

The fans approved the message. They cheered, and a few screamed, "We love you, Geno."

Katie Lou was interviewed after the 3-point contest:

We hope you do that a lot Lou, and that most of them go in.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...-basketball-showcase-1017-20151016-story.html

Kinda got goose bumps when KLS came down the stairs because I never thought I'd see a Samuleson play for the Huskies. And, I might add, I believe that she's the pick of the litter. Thanks to all those who produced/shared the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom