Courtside in Gampel on Thursday | The Boneyard

Courtside in Gampel on Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: Storrs is not your grandfather's Storr any more....construction in town is booming.
BTW#2: the new AAC conference logo is on the court with a beautifully stained [painted?]
three point area outside the box....looks great! New fiercer Husky logo at midcourt...don't see the need for that change from the friendly pup....but overall it should play great on TV.

Anyway: I had the pleasure of watching some of the activity down there on Thursday....strictly FWIW follows.

CD worked with KML and Morgan on a variety of post and perimeter skills. Some token opposition by some male players. Post moves....left hand/right hand...mid-level shots....trey range shots....full court dribbling practice. CD is very specific and encouraging in her approach. The kids worked hard.
Morgan excellent from in close...good from mid-range....decent from deep. KML good from in close....
excellent from mid-range and from deep. They looked in great shape.

Kelly Faris stopped by....was wearing a modest boot on one foot....great to see her. Heather Buck stopped by....wearing basketball gear but didn't play...spent a lot of time chatting with trainer Rosemary...wonder if maybe her nursing development might include spending time with a high level trainer??? Warde Manual came by and SID associate Phil Chardis had an animated conversation with CD at one point. Phil used to be the men's beat writer for the JI.

All players on deck....including the 2 trying out for walk-on roles. After the CD instruction they scrimmaged for quite a while. Brianna Banks...no knee wrap....did not participate but did shoot on the side....seemed to be moving well. I have heard she has done some scrimmaging....though limited in minutes.

It is a Dixville Notch time of year....and it showed....some sloppiness and lack of focus. Talent all over the place but they are just getting things going. Zero warm-up....not even a lay-up [except for Morgan and KML]....that might account for some of the mistakes. A modest helping of Geno....not an entree level...maybe a side dish of our #1...might have made the play sharper and more focused.
We would win a ton of games playing like this but he wouldn't be happy about it. Hey...they aren't perfect quite yet.

Bria, KML and Breanna probably had about the same number of points....KML and Bria were more efficient...Breanna didn't shoot the ball all that well and expressed some frustration at several points.
She did everything we know she can do....swooping drives to the basket....post-up baskets....treys....just not at her usual high percentage. She did look stronger....any weight she put on was 'good weight'.

Moriah....didn't shoot much....showed her speed....hit a nice pull-up 'j'....her ability to hit open mid-range and deep shots is a concern [imo]. Unless she proves she can do it, why should defenses even challenge her outside?

Kiah: nice defense and rebounding....not much offense.
Morgan and KML played well overall....hitting shots in their normal range.
Bria was very aggressive taking it to the basket.

Saniya: didn't stand out...either way. Hit a couple of shots...made a couple of very nice post passes....seems to belong out there with skills level. Didn't make many mistakes....for this early in the proceedings she did fine.

Stef: I don't think I would use the word 'slender' with her....but then again I might. She looked GREAT....a tribute to her especially since she was not working out a ton as she rested and rehabbed after winning #8. She has completely changed her body over her UConn career....she looked fabulous. A bit rusty in her play? Shot off a bit....moved well up and down the court. Quite
verbal throughout...no surprise there.

Hope I haven't missed anybody.
They all looked really fit....tribute to them with a tip of the hat to strength and conditioning coach
Amanda Kimball.

It was great to get a bit of a preview of our team!

I did forget the walk-ons. The one who did not come from track [think I have it right] hit a couple of treys....they both hustled and tended to pass. The trey shooter was substantially more willing to fire it up.

Reaction Score
BLAKE: ahhhhhhh......a much needed oasis. THAT is the stuff! Thank you.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It was great to get a bit of a preview of our team!

Great stuff, Blake!!! Some really good red meat for the Yard!!

Definitely a three meat post :)

steak3b.png

HGN

Reaction Score
Thanks Blake....That post of some UConn wbb news helped my ticks and twitching that had developed over the last few weeks. I had began suffering from withdrawal symptoms. I am ok now.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thanks a lot Blake! A welcome reprieve from the off season posts. So glad there are UCONN hoops issues to discuss and post about! Super excited to see the team fight for #9...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Great stuff, Blake!!! Some really good red meat for the Yard!!

Definitely a three meat post :)

View attachment 3719
I agree, but on the eve of the holiest day of the year for Jews, maybe briskest would have been a better choice than ham. Who doesn't love a good brisket?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Was it the briskest brisket you have ever cooked?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Thanks Blake....That post of some UConn wbb news helped my ticks and twitching that had developed over the last few weeks. I had began suffering from withdrawal symptoms. I am ok now.

I hear those ticks are a real health hazard in Conn. Better you should have some facial twinges instead.:p

Reaction Score
BTW: Storrs is not your grandfather's Storr any more....construction in town is booming.
BTW#2: the new AAC conference logo is on the court with a beautifully stained [painted?]
three point area outside the box....looks great! New fiercer Husky logo at midcourt...don't see the need for that change from the friendly pup....but overall it should play great on TV...

About time. The old color format was just about the dreariest I know of, especially on TV. Unimaginative and plain boring. Dullsville.

I once expressed my sentiments on the topic at halftime during a game when I caught "Fat Lew" standing off the walkway at Gampel. He was not pleased to hear my opnion, to say the least.

It's revealing to note that Lew took a new job at the University of Kansas shortly after I criticized his taste in paint schemes.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I agree, but on the eve of the holiest day of the year for Jews, maybe briskest would have been a better choice than ham. Who doesn't love a good brisket?

I agree that beef is the better choice overall, especially in light of the aforementioned holiday :)

I think steak is best in this application. So Blake's post now gets a 3-steak award --

steak3.png

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, but there is always good food at a Bris.

Can we stop talking about food? I'm fasting.
Ahhhh, thus your "briskest" typo. Trying to avoid thinking of brisket.

My rabbi says the value of fasting is in the consciousness of it and its impact. Sounds like it is going well.

T

TroyHouse66

Cultural Guidelines (CG) and Instantaneous Translations (IT)
for BYers (who didn't show up at the Hillel House to hit on girls)

CG#1
The difference between a "brisket" and a "bris"...(in the Jewish tradition) IS:
You really WANT to get a front row seat for a brisket.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Blake, thanks for all the info! Question, tho - I don't get the "Dixville Notch" reference...all it make me think of is the national elections when they vote first at 12:01 AM, and I'm sure that's not it.....could you enlighten me??? Thanks! :confused:

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Yes, but there is always good food at a Bris.

Can we stop talking about food? I'm fasting.

I wish you an easy fast, DD, but if you are still thinking brisket, it may be a long day......

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I wish you an easy fast, DD, but if you are still thinking brisket, it may be a long day......
Hanging in there. Only a few more hours to go.

And I was fine until I read our post...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom