Courant UConn 2018 Football Position Reviews: | The Boneyard

Courant UConn 2018 Football Position Reviews:

Reaction Score
UConn Quarterback Preview: David Pindell Seeks To Hold Down Starting Job

>>Outlook: At times last year (such as against UCF), Pindell looked like the caliber of quarterback UConn has long struggled to find. At other times (such as the very next week against Boston College), he appeared over-matched. The question for Randy Edsall and company is whether the senior can steady himself during his final college season and become a dependable option under center — or whether Washington or Krajewski deserves a shot at the job.<<

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
UConn Wide Receiver And Tight End Preview: Led By Hergy Mayala, Seniors Seek To Finish Strong

>>Outlook: On a roster full of question marks, UConn can feel confident in its receivers and tight ends. Mayala might be the best player on the entire team, while Beals, Buss, Dixon and Skanes all have breakout potential. Davis and McLean are as solid a tight end duo as a program can ask for, and there’s plenty of depth to go around. As long as quarterback David Pindell can get these guys the ball, they’re going to catch a whole lot of passes.<<

Reaction Score
UConn Quarterback Preview: David Pindell Seeks To Hold Down Starting Job

>>Outlook: At times last year (such as against UCF), Pindell looked like the caliber of quarterback UConn has long struggled to find. At other times (such as the very next week against Boston College), he appeared over-matched. The question for Randy Edsall and company is whether the senior can steady himself during his final college season and become a dependable option under center — or whether Washington or Krajewski deserves a shot at the job.<<

Any Reports on how Krajewski has looked yet? Was fairly excited when he committed. I do remember Washington getting positive reports last year at camp, would be curious to hear about him as well.

Reaction Score
UConn Offensive Line Preview: Veterans Ryan Crozier, Matt Peart Anchor Improved Unit

Here's the Courant's proposed depth chart after the offensive line preview:
022.png

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Based off last night- add Jay Rose as 3rd tight end and also Nino Leone is ahead of Robert Holmes. Don't sleep on Khyon Gillespie and Dante Black -they give us speed and wiggle. Also, don't be surprised to see a little of Cameron Hairston and Heron Maurisseau at WR.

Edsall said yesterday that with the 4 game rule before you burn a red shirt- we will see lots of guys on the roster in there. So, there will be areas where playing time is divvied up.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Any Reports on how Krajewski has looked yet? Was fairly excited when he committed. I do remember Washington getting positive reports last year at camp, would be curious to hear about him as well.

I just got done listening to the This is UConn Country podcast. Matt Schonisky really likes how Krajewski is shaping up.

Reaction Score

UConn Sports Nation Podcast – 2018 Football Edition – Episode 1 | This is UConn Country

They talk about the QB’s at the 4:40 mark and more at the 28:25 mark. Sounds like Krajewski has a lot of upside and should transition into Dunn’s offense without a problem. The future looks bright at the QB spot.

Reaction Score
UConn Linebacker Preview: Ex-Safeties Give UConn Unit Impressive Athleticism

>>Outlook: It’s anyone’s guess how this group will perform. Maybe Terry will be an anchor, Beavers will take a step forward, Thomas will show that his injuries are far behind him and Jones will emerge as one of the Huskies’ top freshmen. Or maybe this relatively inexperienced group will struggle under the burden of increased roles and linebacker will prove to be a weak spot for UConn. Most likely, reality will fall somewhere in between.<<

Reaction Score
It has been explained to you time and time again how faulty your reasoning is here.

Really, a guy takes an 0-12 team and makes them bowl eligible. 0-12 talent became a bowl team the next year.

It's easy to explain. Frost is a great coach.

Edsall took over a 3-9 team and produced exactly the same record the following year 3-9. Not so great.

No explanation needed.

Reaction Score
Really, a guy takes an 0-12 team and makes them bowl eligible. 0-12 talent became a bowl team the next year.

It's easy to explain. Frost is a great coach.

Edsall took over a 3-9 team and produced exactly the same record the following year 3-9. Not so great.

No explanation needed.

I hope you aren't comparing the talent Frost inherited with what Diaco left Randy Edsall.

Reaction Score
No excuses. Scott Frost inherited an 0-12 team and went 6-6 in his first year.

Edsall inherited a better team and went 3-9. No more excuses.
Hate to say it Edsall inherited a mess compared to Frost. You can’t compare those two teams. Ones from a state that has a blockbuster of recruits. The other u have to work to get the recruits

Reaction Score

UCF is in a football hotbed. Here the high schools football stadiums looks better than Dillon Stadium when it first opened. You aren't going to get most Florida football players to come to UConn if they are recruited by UCF or USF. A 0-12 UCF team can recruit Florida only and be better. Florida has a magazine on High School football called Florida Friday Night...
Do Connecticut have a football magazine for high school football?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Randy Edsall, famous excuse-maker.

Reaction Score
I guess what some are saying here is that if Frost coached UConn’s team last year he would’ve gotten 6 wins. Whereas Edsall could only coach up 3 wins.

We’ll never know, but personally I don’t believe that roster could’ve delivered 6 wins under anyone.

I do think that Frost is a coach who’s a cut above Edsall and maybe would’ve gotten more than 3 wins out of last years UConn team. 4 possibly. 5 a long-shot. 6 no.

Reaction Score
I guess what some are saying here is that if Frost coached UConn’s team last year he would’ve gotten 6 wins. Whereas Edsall could only coach up 3 wins.

We’ll never know, but personally I don’t believe that roster could’ve delivered 6 wins under anyone.

I do think that Frost is a coach who’s a cut above Edsall and maybe would’ve gotten more than 3 wins out of last years UConn team. 4 possibly. 5 a long-shot. 6 no.

Even Edsall could have had 5 wins with a couple of bad game ending kicks keeping UConn from a couple of potential wins. How long a shot is that ? Or for that matter he could have gone 0-12 as all 3 wins were by a touchdown or less. HCRE took a 9-4 Maryland team to a 2-10 season. Seems he is comfortable with a throw away 1st year to get his teams "right".

Everyone keeps saying how much talent UCF had on the 0-12 team. Doubt that is true. Teams with talent, no matter the coach, do not go 0-12 in the AAC. UCF lost by 27 to a UConn team lead by Diaco ( and UConn had no OC). Seven of the teams they lost to ended up with losing records for the season. They lost to Furman. Massey had UCF as the 214th best team out of 500 ranked. They were so bad that 0-12 Kansas were rated 49 spots higher. And you think the next years team had so much talent left over from the 0-12 that going 6-7 was a walk in the park compared to UConn 2017?

Keeping to a 3-4 year process of building a top notch team includes winning games along the way. HCRE2.0 need 5 wins this year to match the 1st two years of Diaco win total, nothing less should be expected. Other than the Houston kid there isn't a 5 star recruit in the whole AAC and nary that many 4 star kids, so there is no super talent gap against AAC teams. We act like a 4-8 Syracuse team that lost by more to BCU than UConn did is a sure loss. How did they get so much better in 2018 while UConn did not?

HCRE2.0 needs to keep his eye discipline where it belongs - on wins; and not get distracted by coaching to make a bowl game in 2020.

Reaction Score
UCF is in a football hotbed. Here the high schools football stadiums looks better than Dillon Stadium when it first opened. You aren't going to get most Florida football players to come to UConn if they are recruited by UCF or USF. A 0-12 UCF team can recruit Florida only and be better. Florida has a magazine on High School football called Florida Friday Night...
Do Connecticut have a football magazine for high school football?

Shrug

Better Education Academically. Better Campus Cultural Experience. That is not easy for a 18 year old to grasp; I suspect that some parents have that in their mind.

As for better ... I spent much of the last year around St Pete. To me, USF is still a commuter thing. AND real book work, study and value of the degree, that just isn't achieved in a sunshine beachy form. Sorry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom