Courant article about 24/25 roster | The Boneyard

Courant article about 24/25 roster

Reaction Score

Couple great articles in the Courant today but this quote stood out to me:

“What (Diarra) envisions for himself next year in terms of role has got to be aligned with what ours is,” Hurley said. “I think what’s been effective for us the last two years is that the level of honesty has created great rosters. Because the players that didn’t align with what we viewed for them, they left, we brought in appropriate players in both years and then we won back-to-back championships. We’re just gonna tell the truth with players about where we see them, but we would like to return as many of the players as we can.”

I think most if not all of us have Diarra penciled in as a starter should he return. Slightly wondering if Hurley feels differently

Reaction Score

“What (Diarra) envisions for himself next year in terms of role has got to be aligned with what ours is,” Hurley said. “I think what’s been effective for us the last two years is that the level of honesty has created great rosters. Because the players that didn’t align with what we viewed for them, they left, we brought in appropriate players in both years and then we won back-to-back championships. We’re just gonna tell the truth with players about where we see them, but we would like to return as many of the players as we can.”

I think most if not all of us have Diarra penciled in as a starter should he return. Slightly wondering if Hurley feels differently

He and Nowell are going to battle. Best man wins. Would it be UConn basketball if anyone was handed PT?

Nowell is really, really fricken good. Doesn't mean it will translate to college. But I'm sure Diarra knows the work is ahead of him and is ready to do it.

Reaction Score

I envision Diarra starting at the beginning of the year but Nowell gradually taking on a larger and larger role. I can see Diarra playing 23-25 minutes a game most nights on average. I don’t think the 30th or so ranked recruit in the country would anticipate playing only 15-20 minutes a night especially during the second half of the season. Nowell is only ranked around 20 spots lower than Castle was. Everyone expected Castle to be starting before long after he got here.

Reaction Score
I think I like Hass as a spark plug off the bench. 20 mpg type. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he surprises me and I am also higher on SJ than most. I don’t see Hass as being as effective in the half court but he has done nothing but prove doubters wrong. I can’t believe how good he has become at finishing contested fastbreak layups. Think we see more pick and roll and maybe he thrives there.

Reaction Score
If Hass comes back, and Nowell is somehow good enough right away to be the starter, then the reality is we’re just going to play them together a ton. Hass is an elite perimeter defender and causes havoc all the time. Everything else is solid or better. He’s going to get starter’s minutes.

Reaction Score
Hass isn’t a classic PG. he makes too many head scratching mistakes. Can’t win championships with that as your primary ball handler.

He’s a good bench player and spark plug
I don't know if he can be a high level starter but "too many head scratching mistakes" doesn't apply to his 23-24 season.

Reaction Score
Hass isn’t a classic PG. he makes too many head scratching mistakes. Can’t win championships with that as your primary ball handler.

He’s a good bench player and spark plug
To make these declarations seeing what the entire program including Diarra has been able to accomplish over the last two years is irresponsible & disingenuous. I thought Hurley, the coaching staff, & all the players over the last two years has taught us differently.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I have wondered if Coach might like him in his exact role.

Guys can definitely improve, and Hass has, but it’s also true that uptick in responsibility doesn’t always translate perfectly.

He may just be the perfect 6th man. His best qualities are the ones that make a great backup PG/6th man.

Reaction Score

Feel free to disagree with me folks, but I think players and fans like ourselves get too caught up in who is starting versus coming off the bench. Hass played 20 minutes a game this year and won the BE 6th MOY award, deservedly so. Whether he starts next year or comes off the bench seems like a technical description more than a meaningful one. He is going to get his fair share of playing time and probably more next year. Hass will be a big contributor next year, too.

Reaction Score
He and Nowell are going to battle. Best man wins. Would it be UConn basketball if anyone was handed PT?

Nowell is really, really fricken good. Doesn't mean it will translate to college. But I'm sure Diarra knows the work is ahead of him and is ready to do it.
Diarra will still get equal too or more minutes

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I love Hass, I think he'll be a critical part of next year's team just like he has been for our last two championships

You win with experience

When I said he would play 15 minutes a game this year, I was mostly laughed at. I think he's a big time starter next year, but Hurley will not make any promises

Reaction Score
Diarra will still get equal too or more minutes

You have no idea if that's the case. Is it likely? Sure. Is it guaranteed? No.

Which is the entire point I'm making. Nothing is guaranteed.

Do you disagree with that? I don't really have any idea why you responded to me, honestly

Reaction Score
If Hass comes back, and Nowell is somehow good enough right away to be the starter, then the reality is we’re just going to play them together a ton. Hass is an elite perimeter defender and causes havoc all the time. Everything else is solid or better. He’s going to get starter’s minutes.
I would hope they don’t share the court together. We would be so small defensively

Reaction Score
I don't know if he can be a high level starter but "too many head scratching mistakes" doesn't apply to his 23-24 season.

Funny, I mentioned to my old man during the national semi-final that I couldn't remember the last time Diarra made a dumb play/mistake. He was lights out this year and his mistakes were few and far between.

Reaction Score
We need more than one ball handler. It's not either or with AN and HD. We need both.

Reaction Score
We need more than one ball handler. It's not either or with AN and HD. We need both.

A lot will depends in the next perimeter player we bring in. If they're a less-than-stellar ballgandler (a la McNeely) we'll see tons of Ahmad and Diarra breaking presses together.

Reaction Score
I would hope they don’t share the court together. We would be so small defensively
Bazz and Boat and Florida/Kentucky might want you to rethink that small thing. Also look at Houston and their crazy good D with Snead and Cryer both listed at 6'1" (don't think they are that tall even in sneakers).

Reaction Score
I think just like our first of 2 natties had Clingan backing up Sanogo, Hurley likes to have a competent "2nd level core of players" that can sub in with little to no drop-off that complement the starters. Reed and SJ would complement each other nicely (Reed being a bigger/bruiser type while Samson is the gazelle. Nowell would be a beast of a freshman and the ball would prob be best in his hands in end of game situations while Diarra is a more steady as we go and pushing our fast-paced transition guard. From their we will in the pieces. AK at the 4 with Roumoglou backing him up would be my preference. I know I've seen a large enough sample size to want more playing minutes dedicated to him. He as a beautiful arc-ing shot and has showed flashes of good defense albeit in garbage time. I'd love for him to really round into a Giffey-type. I really hope Solo can make a huge Soph leap and be more consistent version of his North Carolina game. I hear great things about Jaylin and likewise hope for a great Sophomore campaign. He has shown great flashes of his 3-pt prowess and willingness to run out on transition and face up on defense. Would like to see more from Singare and Ross.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom