Count 'Em Down: Pivotal senior seasons | The Boneyard

Count 'Em Down: Pivotal senior seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Shabazz at #9.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/86758/count-em-down-pivotal-senior-seasons

9. Shabazz Napier (Connecticut): Napier has had one of the most up-and-down careers of any player in recent college hoops memory. You can make the argument that he got where he needed to be as a junior. Not only did he have his best year by far statistically (he posted a 115.3 offensive rating on 24.3 percent usage and a 54.4 effective field goal percentage, shot 39 percent from 3 and created plenty of steals) but also, under new coach Kevin Ollie, assumed the leadership role denied him by that apathetic 2011-12 team. The only problem? UConn was ineligible for the NCAA tournament. With a full batch of returning players and that APR-induced postseason ban behind the Huskies, Napier is in position to make his biggest impact since Kemba Walker was on campus.

Reaction Score
Shabazz has a great chance to move into the top 5 of Uconn's alltime scoring list. Here is the top 10:

Name
Richard Hamilton
Tony Hanson
Ray Allen
Corney Thompson
Ben Gordon
Wes Bialosuknia
Cliff Robinson
Khalid El-Amin
Donyell Marchall

Shabazz has 1,239 career points so far. Assuming a deep run in the AAC and NCAA's and no injuries he has a shot:
40 games at 20PPG = 2,039 total
40 games at 25PPG = 2,239 total

Reaction Score
I'm being greedy but he should've made that "Most Indispensable" list as well.

Reaction Score
still can't wrap my head around Marshall Henderson being noteworthy in any sense. Sure he averaged a dub, but was taking an obscene 11 threes a game. Either they struck lightening with their run last year or the SEC is plan old crap.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm all for advanced statistics, but dorks like Eamonn Brennan have to realize that not everybody knows (meaning, 99% of people don't know) what a good "usage rate" or "offensive rating" is. Take two sentences to explain it, or link to an article that does.

Bad journalism. That's the second time I've said that today.

Reaction Score
I'm all for advanced statistics, but dorks like Eamonn Brennan have to realize that not everybody knows (meaning, 99% of people don't know) what a good "usage rate" or "offensive rating" is. Take two sentences to explain it, or link to an article that does.

I wouldn't call Brennan a journalist. He's a blogger who happened to luck into a job at ESPN.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Statistics allow you to avoid examining things such as SN playing with a broken foot most if not all of his sophomore year.

Reaction Score
Shabazz at #9.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/86758/count-em-down-pivotal-senior-seasons

9. Shabazz Napier (Connecticut): Napier has had one of the most up-and-down careers of any player in recent college hoops memory. You can make the argument that he got where he needed to be as a junior. Not only did he have his best year by far statistically (he posted a 115.3 offensive rating on 24.3 percent usage and a 54.4 effective field goal percentage, shot 39 percent from 3 and created plenty of steals) but also, under new coach Kevin Ollie, assumed the leadership role denied him by that apathetic 2011-12 team. The only problem? UConn was ineligible for the NCAA tournament. With a full batch of returning players and that APR-induced postseason ban behind the Huskies, Napier is in position to make his biggest impact since Kemba Walker was on campus.

"One of the most up-and-down careers"? A lot more ups than downs I would say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tmirm0279