Could this year's team beat last year's team? | The Boneyard

Could this year's team beat last year's team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is kind of crazy because this year's team is basically the same as last year's minus two draft picks, an experienced center and PF. The only addition is O. Calhoun but I really feel this year's team would have won 8 out of 10 head-to-head.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Amazed as I am to say this, I don't think so. We'd make last year's team look great. JMO. I much prefer this year's team regardless.

Reaction Score
No, I would set the line at last years team -9. AD, AO and Scoe would eat this years front court alive.

If the line was -9, I would take last years team all day every day.

But yea last year's team is the same as this year's minus two lottery picks, a 6'9 260 pound experienced PF/C and a very long skilled SF/PF. Other then that they are identical!

Reaction Score
This years team would get beat on the boards.

But unlike last years team this team has fight and would not laydown if down.

But in the end the rebounding I think would be just too big of a hurdle to overcome.

Reaction Score
Yet, this year's team will likely have a better regular season record.

Reaction Score
No, the guards are the same so that is a wash. That leaves the front court which would pit last years bench players against last years starters.Drummond might have 50.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No, the guards are the same so that is a wash.

I agree with the no, but the guards aren't a wash. This years guards are better.

Reaction Score
This years team could win, do you remember losing to Rutgers or UCF last year? How was their frontcourt?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Napier is so much better this year, this team would have a real shot. But it would get destroyed on the inside.

Drummond was inconsistent last year (as was AO, of course), but this team is the kind of the team they ate for dinner. Not a good matchup for this year's squad.

But having the best player on the court (2013 Bazz) would make it a contest.

Reaction Score
This is kind of crazy because this year's team is basically the same as last year's minus two draft picks, an experienced center and PF. The only addition is O. Calhoun but I really feel this year's team would have won 8 out of 10 head-to-head.

Everyone is going to say Andre this and Ao that...but yes they could. Last years team stays the same, AO gets his 5 and 3 and Tyler can guard him. Andre roams around taking jumpers and getting his 14 and 10. Jeremy would be tough although DD is long enough to give him trouble and Bazz is a better and healthier version than last year (in this game Bazz needs to be a soph ol) and Boat is now a much better threat than he was last year.

I say 10 game series either 6-4 or 5-5 because both lack consistency!!

Reaction Score
I basically have the same game as Labron exept for my shooting, explosiveness, height and jumpimg ability.

Reaction Score
On paper, it's a complete mis-match. But last years team should have beat just about everybody they played, on paper. Obviously from a physical and athletic standpoint, the 2011-12 frontcourt is head and shoulders above this one. However, you have to consider where these players were in terms of their growth and development at that point in their careers. Andre Drummond looked unstopable at times. Roscoe Smith was in Calhoun's doghouse for the better part of the season, and Alex Oriakhi was utterly unproductive.

Ultimately, it's a situation where Drummond can name the final score. If he dominates like he did against West Virginia and Syracuse, the 2011-12 team would win by double digits. If he plays like he did against Columbia (0 and 4), Maine (4 and 2), Seton Hall (4 and 5), etc., the far superior grit and chemistry of the current team would win out.

Reaction Score
Yes this years team definitely could. The team effort, chemistry and half court offense is MUCH better than last year. I don't care how many draft picks we had last season. There is a reason the results sucked on the court. I'll take this years overachievers over last years underachievers all day.

Reaction Score
I basically have the same game as Labron exept for my shooting, explosiveness, height and jumpimg ability.

Ummm... That was kind of my point. This years team lost a lot but overall the play is better.

Reaction Score
This year's team is better. Less talented but better. Last year's team would have lost to this team and we would have complained that we lost to a far less talented team.

Reaction Score
He was clearly facetious and...Labron? Really? L-a-bron? Have you never seen his name in print?

Reaction Score
Napier is so much better this year, this team would have a real shot. But it would get destroyed on the inside.

Drummond was inconsistent last year (as was AO, of course), but this team is the kind of the team they ate for dinner. Not a good matchup for this year's squad.

But having the best player on the court (2013 Bazz) would make it a contest.

Lamb last year was a better player then bazz this year, if you put lamb on this years team he's winning big east player of the year

Reaction Score
Lamb last year was a better player then bazz this year, if you put lamb on this years team he's winning big east player of the year

Lamb last year better than Bazz this year?? Jeremy averaged about the same and all he had to do was score......Bazz has the ball in his hands more than anyone the last 2 years, especially this year and at crunch time. I would have to disagree on that one, close but not quite!!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree with Mau. One of our (many) problems last year was that Lamb really didn't make the leap. Yes, he was very good. But he didn't put the team on his back the way Bazz has this season.

Reaction Score
Lamb last year better than Bazz this year?? Jeremy averaged about the same and all he had to do was score......Bazz has the ball in his hands more than anyone the last 2 years, especially this year and at crunch time. I would have to disagree on that one, close but not quite!!
Thier stats are very similar, but no doubt Bazz has been better in crunch time and been a much better leader. But last year there were many more options on the team and their would be games he would shot 6 times, a lot of that is his own problem for being too passive, but I think a lot of others had a me first attitude which hampered him.

I think if you put him with a roster like this he would score 20 a game, not saying we would more or even as many games, because Bazz's leadership cannot be replaced, but Lamb is more talented and gifted player and I think he would shine if he was the first and second option as he would be in this team.

Reaction Score
Thier stats are very similar, but no doubt Bazz has been better in crunch time and been a much better leader. But last year there were many more options on the team and their would be games he would shot 6 times, a lot of that is his own problem for being too passive, but I think a lot of others had a me first attitude which hampered him.

I think if you put him with a roster like this he would score 20 a game, not saying we would more or even as many games, because Bazz's leadership cannot be replaced, but Lamb is more talented and gifted player and I think he would shine if he was the first and second option as he would be in this team.

I'll add one to my argument....Bazz is much better defensively and rebounds it pretty good for a guy who is half a foot smaller than JL.....I liked Jeremy and like nomar said he had such a great finish to his frosh year we never saw that huge leap. And with people keying on Drummond so often there was space unlike this years team for our guards. I'm actually starting to think this isn't close!!;) .......but I respect your opinion and you make solid points Jerry!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom