Could Ollie leave? | The Boneyard

Could Ollie leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He doesn't exactly have the largest contract on the block at the moment and everyone with an open position will come calling after this run in only his 2nd year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sure, he could. Will he? No.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun said this in an interview recently:

Q: Adrian Wojnarowski, who’s as plugged into basketball as anybody, tweeted a few months ago that it’s “inevitable” Kevin Ollie would have a chance to coach in the NBA. Is that something that should scare UConn fans?

Not at all. I don’t mean to say this to knock Adrian, but when Kevin came from the Oklahoma City Thunder to join me as an assistant, Adrian had no idea what types of conversations we had. Kevin came back because he loves this University, saw himself as a college coach, and saw himself as the kind of guy who is going to help mold kids.

Right now, Kevin is learning how to be a coach, and he’s done an incredible job. I feel like a proud father. Do I expect Kevin to go to the NBA? Not at all, I don’t. That’s just me personally. He’s a guy that traveled for over a decade in the NBA, so I think he likes staying in Connecticut. He’s got a family here, he’s got a great wife, he’s got a great situation. Could he take an NBA job? Of course he could, but I think that’s a long way from coming to fruition. He’s only in his second year as a head coach, and he’s done a wonderful job.​

He wants to be a college coach and he wants to be at his alma mater. That's not to say people won't come calling, but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Reaction Score
He doesn't exactly have the largest contract on the block at the moment and everyone with an open position will come calling after this run in only his 2nd year.
Oh please stop it. We have months for stupid threads like this.

Reaction Score
The same guy posted this after we lost at Louisville: http://the-boneyard.com/threads/blown-up-and-embarrassed.54254/

Yep… we were "blown up and embarrassed" We did drop to a 7 seed… I said 8. Ollie had yet to win a game in the season at that point where we were an underdog. They quit against Louisville 4 games in a row. Not sure whats disputable there. Find something and get back to me. Clearly now things have changed.

Reaction Score
Yep… we were "blown up and embarrassed" We did drop to a 7 seed… I said 8. Ollie had yet to win a game in the season at that point where we were an underdog. They quit against Louisville 4 games in a row. Not sure whats disputable there. Find something and get back to me. Clearly now things have changed.
Well, you said "This team is going no where."

And you were wrong.

And you were wrong about not winning games they were underdogs in.

And you were wrong about that one game being the reason they dropped. No single game does that.

Reaction Score
We were a 6 point dog at Memphis and won. But lets not let facts get in the way of your delusions

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
This is something to revisit in 7-8 years after we've won our third title of the KO era.

caw

Reaction Score
He isn't leaving for another college gig unless CT sinks into the Atlantic. The only three NBA gigs I could see him mildly interested in are OKC, Boston and LA. The first bc he has history there, fortunately they aren't firing their coach anytime soon and if Durant leaves that may close that option. Boston bc it's close to where he lives now, but they have Brad Stevens. LA bc that's his hometown team, they may have an opening soon but I can't see him uprooting for that mess. The great thing about UConn keeping the job in the family is that there is that built in loyalty. Getting a guy who also made millions in the NBA means he's not exactly hurting for money and that will be less of a temptation. Throw in who Ollie is and I wouldn't even worry about it. He may eventually go to the NBA when coach Bazz is ready to take over at UConn, lol.

Reaction Score
Now is not the time for this, but Warde and Sue are goiing to have to revisit his pay/contract situation. Can't rest comfortably on the he's an alum angle. I"ve been thinking this for a while, but now during this run, is not the time for this discussion.

caw

Reaction Score
Well, you said "This team is going no where."

And you were wrong.

And you were wrong about not winning games they were underdogs in.

And you were wrong about that one game being the reason they dropped. No single game does that.

I dunno that single Houston game seems to have played a large part in UConn being a seven ad SMU not making it.

Reaction Score
We were a 6 point dog at Memphis and won. But lets not let facts get in the way of your delusions

Is that the only game u can find? Seriously who give a shi* I ask a legitimate question and have to defend a post made after we just lost by 40 points?

Reaction Score
Makes you wonder with Jim calhoun talking about coming back to coaching if the right situation presents itself.. gulp

Nah the only way Kevin Ollie would leave is for an NBA coaching gig however Kevin Ollie knows theres no job security there while UConn is home and theres no question that in a few years he will have the east coast recruiting lock down .

Reaction Score
I suggest banning. Who posts stuff like this in the middle of a tourney run?
Dingbats

allinthefamily-23.jpg
edith.jpg

Reaction Score
I dunno that single Houston game seems to have played a large part in UConn being a seven ad SMU not making it.
Well, Syracuse got a 3, and they lost at home to BC, who was much worse than Houston...so, I don't really think so.

SMU had a terrible OOC SOS. Just putrid. And they had the Houston loss to go with two other terrible losses. That's why they missed.

UConn was a 7 not because of the Louisville loss (or the Houston loss, for that matter), but because the committee was not impressed with the AAC, and because we had way too many sub-150 wins. Some of that was the league, some of that was scheduling.

Reaction Score
The definitive response. Nothing else needs to be said.

Yea, I bet you thought we were going to make a deep tournament run 20 minutes after losing by 40 points. Probably not.

Reaction Score
Is that the only game u can find? Seriously who give a shi* I ask a legitimate question and have to defend a post made after we just lost by 40 points?
You brought it up, so you do. Just because you do not know what you are talking about do not get mad at us. Ollie is getting close to double digit wins as underdog in his two years by the way. But no he cannot win as an underdog. And this team is going nowhere right?

For starting a thread like this during the run we are on you should be banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom