Cougars Defense Breakdown | The Boneyard

Cougars Defense Breakdown

Reaction Score
Since we run a heavy ball screen offense, when I saw this, I wondered how UConn would fare against their defense.

Reaction Score
IMG_0366.gif

Reaction Score
That defense gives up a lot of open threes so I think we’d be able to break it. I wish we’d run something similar when SJ is out there especially against a team like seton hall that can’t shoot.

Reaction Score
I dont think we run a heavy ball screen offense at all. It's definitely more than last season, but i bet if you had the numbers we would rank in the bottom 3rd of D1.
We run more handoffs than anything else

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
A few thoughts on this.

As already pointed out UConn, knowing Houston's defensive strategy, our guards would be ready to get the ball to one of our shooters that won't hesitate to let em rip or drive it to the paint.

I noticed In that clip the handlers always turned and dribbled away from the trap or picked up their dribble, which is something UConn's guards rarely do. Hurley would have a game plan where the guards would know where to move the ball decisively.

Lastly, Sampson must be pissed that someone broke down his D where smart coaches can prepare for it, though I'm sure many coaching staffs have this type of intell where if you don't have the right talent to break their D, they're going to struggle to break it no matter how much they prepare for it. There's reason they're one of the top teams with few losses.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We haven’t even finished conference play

Reaction Score
AT 10:20 it shows that they leave the pop open every time and almost never get burned because 5's can't shoot.
I suspect that if we were to play someone like this, and run ball screen offense (both unlikely), we would just have Alex and Cam setting the screens for Newton/Castle. Open 3's all day. I would have to think that it would cause an adjustment.

Reaction Score
I dont think we run a heavy ball screen offense at all. It's definitely more than last season, but i bet if you had the numbers we would rank in the bottom 3rd of D1.
We run more handoffs than anything else

Maybe it's a terminology thing, but to me the ball screen and ball hand off are the same. I'm probably wrong.

I see it as the screen and handoff being the same thing

Anyway, I found the analysis interesting.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's a terminology thing, but to me the ball screen and ball hand off are the same. I'm probably wrong.

I see it as the screen and handoff being the same thing

Anyway, I found the analysis interesting.
I agree about the video being interesting. I loved it.

A ball screen and a handoff are defended in totally different ways. They're not really comparable. One is at a stop, the other is in motion. One is north - south, the other is east - west. One is almost always done with a big, the other is done with whomever has the ball. It takes very different defensive strategies to try to slow them down.

But again, i liked the video. I learned something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom