Corey Floyd, please tell me he has a solid handle | The Boneyard

Corey Floyd, please tell me he has a solid handle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For those who know how Corey has been practicing with the team, please tell me that he's going to be a solid contributor handling the ball. The writeups indicate he's a both hands to the basket scorer, but how is his handle? And this is an odd question, but from a physical stand point, why was he redshirted but Diggins wasn't? Was it based on his relatively late decision to reclassify and enroll early?

Reaction Score
He's more of a strength guard, but hopefully he's been working on it this year.

Reactions: PWS
Reaction Score
Was it based on his relatively late decision to reclassify and enroll early?
Short answer is yes. Hurley told him when he wanted to enroll early he would have to redshirt.

Reaction Score
Let's not write off Diggins. He's got a year to get stronger and smarter. Plenty of freshmen can't handle pressure on the road. It was a bad situation from a clearly humiliated Georgetown team desperate to hold on to a shred of dignity.

Reaction Score
Floyd was redshirted because he is viewed as a 4 year player and would have been playing as a 17 yo against 22-24 year olds. He did everything he could to prove he could contribute this year, and he could be proving solid backup minutes right now, but his role would not have been significant enough to burn a full year of eligibility.

Reaction Score
Don’t think anyone is writing him off but he’s clearly a year away from being a year away. No issues with it just need to reset my expectations

Reaction Score
Some of the people who constantly fellate jay wright should look at some of the freshmen he’s planted on the bench who have gone on to be killers as upperclassmen.
This exactly. It's like people don't watch other programs sometimes.

Yes, players do things at Duke, Kentucky, etc. But that's (largely) not how we've been built. Plenty of kids don't see minutes for a few years and then are killers.

I have faith in Diggins.

Reaction Score
I guess we are going to ignore the one steal where Diggins was blindsided by a hit that would have made an NFL safely proud
And then followed with a drive into a crowded lane and dumped off for what should have been an easy 2 but for Johnson fumbling it away

Now you can continue with the Diggins hate

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
First of all, Diggins turning the ball over there was not a matter of bad handle, it was a matter of trying to dribble through traps instead of passing through them.

Second of all, is it necessary to have absolutely idiotic opinions about every last player on the team, even the ones we haven’t really seen play? First it’s that we haven’t seen them play so they must be the best players on the team. Then as soon as we see a minute of action, we need to recruit over them because they’re horrible.

Reaction Score
Some of the people who constantly fellate jay wright should look at some of the freshmen he’s planted on the bench who have gone on to be killers as upperclassmen.
Especially coming off a game this week against Villanova where none of their freshman played and of the 7 who did were filled with guys who redshirted (Dixon) or barely played as freshman (Samuels, Slater, Arcidiacano)

Reaction Score
First of all, Diggins turning the ball over there was not a matter of bad handle, it was a matter of trying to dribble through traps instead of passing through them.

Second of all, is it necessary to have absolutely idiotic opinions about every last player on the team, even the ones we haven’t really seen play? First it’s that we haven’t seen them play so they must be the best players on the team. Then as soon as we see a minute of action, we need to recruit over them because they’re horrible.
I guess I was a little inartful in my use of the word handle. I should have included "can he keep that ball on a string" and knows where and for what purpose to move the ball to a particular point on the court. Dribbling through traps is something that we have seen Cole do , but Cole rarely needs to do that because he has an instinctual feel for spacing on the court given his ability to handle the ball. I know it is not fair to compare Diggins to Cole...Cole is like an alpha bringing the ball up. I see AJ being the other guy. But I want the next man up to be better than the opponent's starter. That is how UConn should operate.

Reaction Score
I guess I was a little inartful in my use of the word handle. I should have included "can he keep that ball on a string" and knows where and for what purpose to move the ball to a particular point on the court. Dribbling through traps is something that we have seen Cole do , but Cole rarely needs to do that because he has an instinctual feel for spacing on the court given his ability to handle the ball. I know it is not fair to compare Diggins to Cole...Cole is like an alpha bringing the ball up. I see AJ being the other guy. But I want the next man up to be better than the opponent's starter. That is how UConn should operate.
He's not a PG so not really a situation he's going to be in too often. He's going to be playing the 2/3 in a Tyrese Martin role

Reaction Score
Diggins had a bad turnover, then he had a nice move and a pass that wasn’t converted, and then get got hacked and they didn’t call it which gave him a second turnover. After sitting the first 38 minutes of this game and all of the games for the past month. He can dribble.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It means nothing. It's his first game action in forever and he's thrown into a blowout where you aren't expecting the team of starters to be pressing you. Our rotation is set and has been for a while, it's 8 players- Cole, Jackson, Martin, Whaley, Sanogo, Polley, Hawkins, Gaffney.

Hurley was throwing Diggins and Samson a bone and Ewing acted like a putz.
Puhhleeeze.....Samson and diggins are the 56 and 59 ranked recruits. As Andrew said we weren’t playing walkons. Gtown was playing 4 frosh from same class at times; ranked 24(Mohammed ) 119 (mutumbo) and beard and bilingsley (149 and 225) . Why should Patrick take it easy on high level d1 recruits who are across the board ( except for Mohammed) way better than his? This ain’t tiddlywinks. Should Hurley have gone easy on mutumbo?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Now you can continue with the Diggins hate
Did I miss a post with Diggins hate?

Seems like the consensus above is much more that he'll be fine, and that today's situation (how he was played and how contact wasn't called) wasn't to his favor.

As to criticisms of Ewing keeping up the pressure, we've already had the Oral Roberts-North Dakota State and Wisconsin-Michigan post-game fight threads, so DH simply subbed players back in, rather than call a timeout to have the bench players settle & regroup. He took no chances as to upsetting a game-losing coach.

I'm grateful that 30 bench points included Hawkins & Polley hitting double figures, and that Gaffney was solid from the line at the end...except for missing his 6th free-throw. That miss left bettors shy of the 11.5 margin before the final garbage basket.

Again, I'm very glad I do not bet, even though there are more and more TV commercials & other promos for me to do so.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Did I miss a post with Diggins hate?

Seems like the consensus above is much more that he'll be fine, and that today's situation (how he was played and how contact wasn't called) wasn't to his favor.

As to criticisms of Ewing keeping up the pressure, we've already had the Oral Roberts-North Dakota State and Wisconsin-Michigan post-game fight threads, so DH simply subbed players back in, rather than call a timeout to have the bench players settle & regroup. He took no chances as to upsetting a game-losing coach.

I'm grateful that 30 bench points included Hawkins & Polley hitting double figures, and that Gaffney was solid from the line at the end...except for missing his 6th free-throw. That miss left bettors shy of the 11.5 margin before the final garbage basket.

Again, I'm very glad I do not bet, even though there are more and more TV commercials & other promos for me to do so.
Grateful we can have short tape delays with dvr's so we can keep zipping through commercials and at times inane commentary.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Puhhleeeze.....Samson and diggins are the 56 and 59 ranked recruits. As Andrew said we weren’t playing walkons. Gtown was playing 4 frosh from same class at times; ranked 24(Mohammed ) 119 (mutumbo) and beard and bilingsley (149 and 225) . Why should Patrick take it easy on high level d1 recruits who are across the board ( except for Mohammed) way better than his? This ain’t tiddlywinks. Should Hurley have gone easy on mutumbo?
Agreed. Also if I’m coaching a team that’s 0-16 in the league I’m doing everything I can to convince them to not give up no matter what the score or your record says. Ewing doesn’t control when the other team decides the game is over and puts in subs. He’s telling his guys to not stop playing until the final buzzer. I don’t have a problem with that.

Reaction Score
Yes, he has a solid handle. He'll be able to take care of the ball with handle but maybe more importantly with his court awareness and passing ability.

He has a solid build, strong hands, powerful legs, nice footwork, and yet has quick feet.

He makes very solid decisions at high speeds. Can pass both in half court and longer, fast break situations.

Scores at all 3 levels..

Excellent basketball pedigree.

I think if he continues his development, he'll be all-BE caliber.

Reaction Score
It means nothing. It's his first game action in forever and he's thrown into a blowout where you aren't expecting the team of starters to be pressing you. Our rotation is set and has been for a while, it's 8 players- Cole, Jackson, Martin, Whaley, Sanogo, Polley, Hawkins, Gaffney.

Two of the Diggins "turnovers" were fouls. You don't get those calls on the road at garbage time. DH was doing Patrick a favor by taking out the starters. Ewing is fighting for his job which is why he was pressing

Reaction Score

Couldn’t agree more. Like throwing raw meat to rabid dogs. Can’t make any assessment off that. Gimme a break.

Reaction Score
You would think the staff would bring in another ball handler through the portal for next season. It doesn’t have to be a star point guard. Somebody with experience and a good handle would more than suffice. A Craig Austrie level player would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom