Contenders, challengers in AAC article on ESPN.com | The Boneyard

Contenders, challengers in AAC article on ESPN.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From Seth Greenberg but unfortunately it's an Insiders article. I cut and pasted the UConn part (they're under the Contenders list, obviously). I just read it and there's nothing in there that anyone on here doesn't know. As a matter of fact we could do better. But it's the offseason so what else is there to read?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...13/how-aac-measure-2013-14-college-basketball

Connecticut Huskies
Despite being ineligible to play in the Big East and NCAA tournaments due to APR issues last season, coach Kevin Ollie motivated his players and got them to embrace the name on the front of their jerseys. Ollie built on Jim Calhoun's culture while coaching with his own personality. As a result, the Huskies played together, hard and smart. For his efforts, Ollie was rewarded with a six-year contract. This season's Huskies are not only eligible to compete in postseason play, but they also have the potential to make a run in the NCAA tournament.

Backcourt: UConn's backcourt is as good as any in college basketball. The combination of Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright and Omar Calhoun works well together. Each brings toughness, confidence and the ability to score, and all three are outstanding on-ball defenders. (Boatright in particular has the ability to disrupt at the point of attack.)

A challenge for Ollie will be to get the dynamic Napier and Boatright to trust each other and play for each other and for the good of the group. It is important they don't compete against each other. If they respect each other, they will be difficult to contain and will create a lot of open looks for Calhoun and spot-up shooters Leon Tolksdorf and Niels Giffey.

Frontcourt: Tyler Olander is a solid role player who is a good screener and has developed a post game, but he needs to improve his rebounding percentage. He is joined up front by hybrid forward DeAndre Daniels. No one on the Huskies' roster benefited more from the coaching change than Daniels. A rangy forward who can run the floor and is a sneaky offensive rebounder, Daniels needs to make sure he doesn't fall in love with his jump shot and attacks the basket. The return of Enosch Wolf from suspension will give Connecticut another skilled post.

Bottom line: This is a Connecticut team that has the potential to advance in the NCAA tournament. Its guards can compete against any in the country and have the ability to take over a game. If Daniels continues to develop and Olander post defends and rebounds, this will be a dangerous team come March.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Spot on. Especially the Bazz-Boat comments.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Maybe I missed it, but is Wolf actually back, as the article suggests? I know his suspension was lifted but I thought it was unclear whether he would return since he would have to pay his own way.

Reaction Score
Maybe I missed it, but is Wolf actually back, as the article suggests? I know his suspension was lifted but I thought it was unclear whether he would return since he would have to pay his own way.
Correct. They said they would announce soon if he's returning or not.

Reaction Score
I think that Nolan has to be included in any discussion. He has the potential for a breakout year. Plus no mention of Facey?

Yea, all the talk of Tyler in the writeup, no offense to him but the less he plays next year the better off the team will be. The team's improvement upfront and on the boards will have to start with Nolan and Facey(and Wolf if he returns).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think that Nolan has to be included in any discussion. He has the potential for a breakout year. Plus no mention of Facey?

Maybe he might make a contribution on occaision, but I think he's at least another season away from breakout status.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe he might make a contribution on occaision, but I think he's at least another season away from breakout status.

Maybe offensively, but not in the areas we need him in, defense and rebounding. He was really coming in on both areas late.

Reaction Score
Maybe offensively, but not in the areas we need him in, defense and rebounding. He was really coming in on both areas late.

I agree he made great strides at the end of last year......

Reaction Score
I think a lot of people are severely underestimating this conference for next year. Out of the 10 schools I'd say Rutgers will be the only bad team. UConn, Cincy, Memphis, & Louisville will all be very good. Houston, SMU, & Temple will be pretty solid. USF has a great recruiting class and will be considerably better than last year. That leaves UCF and Rutgers at the bottom of the barrell.

I'd say the ACC and Big Ten are better conferences, and the Big 12 may have a slight edge over the AAC. But I'd take the AAC over the SEC, Pac 12 and New Big East for this upcoming season.

Now after this upcoming season is a different story. Adding Tulane, Tulsa, Navy, & East Carolina won't help the conference at all in basketball.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Cannot expect undersized freshman forwards to contribute. I'll take what they give. Spot on with the Bazz/Boat part. And did he say Olander developed a post game? In what universe?

Reaction Score
I think a lot of people are severely underestimating this conference for next year. Out of the 10 schools I'd say Rutgers will be the only bad team. UConn, Cincy, Memphis, & Louisville will all be very good. Houston, SMU, & Temple will be pretty solid. USF has a great recruiting class and will be considerably better than last year. That leaves UCF and Rutgers at the bottom of the barrell.

I'd say the ACC and Big Ten are better conferences, and the Big 12 may have a slight edge over the AAC. But I'd take the AAC over the SEC, Pac 12 and New Big East for this upcoming season.

Now after this upcoming season is a different story. Adding Tulane, Tulsa, Navy, & East Carolina won't help the conference at all in basketball.

Navy will not be part of the basketball league. Football only.

Reaction Score
In
Cannot expect undersized freshman forwards to contribute. I'll take what they give. Spot on with the Bazz/Boat part. And did he say Olander developed a post game? In what universe?
In what world is Facey an undersized forward? He'd barely be undersized at center.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
TO has developed a post game?

or did he mean to say TO had a great game in the post?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer