Congrats to the Graduates. Now Move Out and Get a Job | The Boneyard

Congrats to the Graduates. Now Move Out and Get a Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A couple of different theads on here from new graduates. Congratulations. Now stop being a mooch, and start earning paychecks and paying taxes.
Some free advice on job hunting and starting your career.
First off, it’s okay to feel nervous about the process. And, it is a process. There are plenty of jobs out there, some are better than others. You are going to have to work at earning the best career opportunities. It’s okay if you have some levels of anxiety. Utilize it as positive stress.
If you don’t know this already, networking is still the best way to get in to the interview room and get a job.
You can go to job fairs, apply blindly online, walk in and hand a resume to a receptionist, etc. but nothing beats a personal recommendation. There are a few reasons why this is true.
If you are not already aware of this, hiring a person is expensive and time consuming. There are usually several layers of the process from resume parsing, interviewing and background checks for many jobs. Each of these take up man hours and each have costs.
As expensive as it is to hire someone, firing someone can be even more expensive. There is documentation of poor performance, probable losses in productivity and a gaggle of HR and legal involved before you can be fired.
With those two considerations in mind, companies look to mitigate the risk of wasting time on a poor choice to hire, then investing time in the firing process.
In order to get a personal recommendation, you need to know people. If you are fortunate enough to have close family or friends relevant to your job search, congratulations. Use them.
If not, you have a couple of options. My personal advice is to find an activity you care about in your community and volunteer. I know you think I’m nuts. How in the heck are you supposed to volunteer your time when you are trying to find an income generating job?
A couple of counterpoints on that. First, you will be amazed at the variety of people who are part of the volunteer organization. It’s a huge networking opportunity. Secondly, when you put your volunteer efforts on your resume, it shows the manager/interviewer that you have some passion and also that you see the world bigger than yourself. It also provides references for the quality of your work and attitude.
If you make it to the interview, congratulations. Getting an interview usually means you have the qualifications for the job. Remember my earlier point. Hiring costs time and money. Very few companies have the spare manpower and cash to interview unqualified candidates. The interview is going to focus a bit on your skills. See if what you wrote down on your resume can be verified. Might even include some aptitude tests. Mostly though, the interview is about your soft people skills. What kind of fit will you be in the organization. Remember the point about firing someone? It is expensive and time consuming to rid someone who isn’t a good fit and can be lowering productivity.
Be humble in the interview but know your worth. Research, research, research. Have several questions ready. You can scan the internet for hundreds of websites with advice on what types of questions to ask and what types of questions you can be expected to ask.
If you get a job offer. Great. Research, research, research. Again. Know your worth within the industry and know how local wage scales vary from the national level. Consider tax implications and quality of life. Chances are you are going to compromise on some of this at first, so prioritize your desires.
When you start work, be an asset to your manager/supervisor. You are new to the organization and to your career field. No task is beneath you or too menial for you to do. Treat every task as an opportunity to grow. You have to earn respect and responsibility. Latch on to a mentor. And then pick their brains.
Finally, paychecks. Start your retirements savings right off the bat so you never see the money. Don’t worry about new cars, upgrading your cell phone, gaming system and home theater. Save money by eating in rather than dining out. Learn to live within a budget.
Above all else, have fun. It can be a wild, crazy ride and there’s a good chance you will experience disappointment and rejection before acceptance.

Reaction Score
Something I've always wondered: do job fairs/career fairs ever work as far as landing a job goes? I feel like they are meaningless as far as networking, but yet everyone seems to treat them as as networking gold mine. Always thought you had to make, not fake relationships, but what do I know.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Something I've always wondered: do job fairs/career fairs ever as far as landing a job goes? I feel like they are meaningless as far as networking, but yet everyone seems to treat them as as networking gold mine. Always thought you had to make, not fake relationships, but what do I know.

I've certainly hired people I met/collected their resume at job fairs connected with universities.

For the love of God when you get to the interview and they ask you why you want the job have you answer ready. That one drives a lot of people crazy.

Reaction Score
Regarding interviews, be prepared to give examples.

You won't be asked yes/no questions, you'll be asked to provide examples, i.e. "Tell me about a time you faced some adversity in a project, how did you respond and what were the results", "Tell me about a time you took a leadership role in a group project, what did you do and what were the results?" Have several stories rehearsed and ready. Don't fake it or try and make something up.

Know as much as you can about the position AND the company. Try to find other people in that role and pick their brains. If you don't know anything about the job, you can't expect to convince the interviewer that you're a good fit for the job. Know what their stock price (if relevant) is at. Know what their core business is, who their CEO is, and what separates them from the competition and use those as reasons for why you want to work there.

At the end, don't be afraid to ask interviewer if there iss anything they are concerned about regarding your resume, experience, or answers and if you can have the opportunity to address it (again).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Something I've always wondered: do job fairs/career fairs ever work as far as landing a job goes? I feel like they are meaningless as far as networking, but yet everyone seems to treat them as as networking gold mine. Always thought you had to make, not fake relationships, but what do I know.

Job fairs are a great way to gather information, but I've personally never found them to be a great way to expand your network, per se. That comes later. People manning the booths at job fairs are rarely the decision makers, but they have a lot of information on their own company and are probably involved in the hiring process in some way, shape, or form. Companies want to cast a wide net and probably talk to dozens of candidates, qualified and less than qualified alike, throughout the duration of the fair. So getting them to remember a face (let alone put a name to that face), may be a long shot.

Job fairs are actually a lot of work and it starts well before the fair. First draft up your resume, but before you print it on good paper, have someone else review it. Just like the term paper you just got a B+ on, you're too far in the weeds and have read it ten times over. You are going to miss the double comma this time just like you did the first nine. If your resume finds its way in front of a decision maker, a spelling or punctuation error could be the difference between a phone call and the shredder. Start gathering your references too. You won't need them until after the interview process, but that is not the time to rush around.

When you get to the fair, you are in control to pick which companies you want to approach. Don't be meek. These people want to talk to you. They have a position to fill, but they will not seek you out and why should they? They don't know you. It's up to you to solve that problem. Besides, You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Be confident in your discussions, but not overbearing and most important: don't be rude. That might seem obvious, but given the amount of time people spend at work, they tend to take their place of business very personally. You never want to give the a "not interested" impression in a place they spend at least 40 hours a week. EVERYONE in a particular industry talks to each other and word certainly gets around. Plus you don't want to burn a bridge with someone who you may be in a position to help you down the line. For instance you may not be interested today, but if you are still unemployed four weeks from now, beggars start losing option to choose.

Finally whether or not they ask for your resume (they may have different procedures of collection), ALWAYS ASK FOR A BUSINESS CARD!!! While it is still fresh in your mind, write down on the back where you met the person on the back of the card and key words that will help you connect with them later on a personal basis. This is important for the cover letter/e-mail, provided you apply for the position.

Reaction Score
Here's a good question to ask at the end of an interview:
"what are 2-3 things you think I will excel at in this job and what are 2-3 things you think I will struggle with".

1) you get feedback about the most challenging part of the job
2) It allows you to get an idea of what the perception of your strengths and weaknesses are. Perception being the key thing here.

I say perception because one interview I had I asked this and the guy thought I would struggle with getting my tasks done and excel at working with clients due to my people skills. The ironic thing is that this is the opposite of what I would say about myself. Although I have become much better at interacting with people in a business setting, I historically have been someone who has done extremely well with doing tasks and struggled at things like sales.

The bottom line is that the question can give you feedback about the perception of your resume and interview. Perception is reality and the only thing that matters is the perception of the interviewer when it comes to getting a job. So take the feedback from this question and tweak your resume or interview responses so you can come across in the best way possible.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Interviewers will be expecting questions, however do not ask non-questions. For example, "Is there anything else about me that I can tell you to show I am the one for this position?" is a non-question. 1) all interviewers know what this means, 2) They've just got done listening to your answers of their questions which were supposed to accomplish this. They are done asking. It's your turn.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
These are all great suggestions but I have a better one. Hit the road and travel the world. Drink beer with loose women on beaches in Spain. Use your backpack as a pillow in a cheap hostel in Namibia. Guzzle Thai whiskey in a beach hut in Ko Samui. You will never have a time with less responsibility, free time and energy. Get out and experience the world. You can always work.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Lots of good advice in here for job seekers. Let me reiterate the most important bits:
  1. Network. Meet new people in your industry, and talk to them. Most folks like talking about their job to someone who has genuine interest.
  2. Don't be shy. Jobs will not find you unless you are so super-talented that they can't possibly ignore you (you're probably not) - you have to do the work.
  3. Research. Come prepared. That shows me that you want to work hard, and that I'll be able to count on you to get done without having to hold your hand

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Move out and get a job.

My parents had an interesting way of accomplishing that task.

I came home one day and there was a "For Sale" sign spiked into the front yard.

Up to this point, nobody had mentioned anything.

I got the hint.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Why do people say "congratulations" after you graduate?

I say it because in and of itself graduation is an accomplishment. Many of us know friends who didn't finish for a bunch of different reasons. One thing a diploma shows is you can complete a task. It may not seem like a big deal at the time, but graduating is an achievement you keep for life.

Reaction Score
I say it because in and of itself graduation is an accomplishment. Many of us know friends who didn't finish for a bunch of different reasons. One thing a diploma shows is you can complete a task. It may not seem like a big deal at the time, but graduating is an achievement you keep for life.
You completely missed the point.

Finishing undergrad at UConn was more of a cause for condolences than congratulations.

Reaction Score
You completely missed the point.

Finishing undergrad at UConn was more of a cause for condolences than congratulations.

I assumed you were going for the cynical route of "your degree is useless and you wasted your time, so you don't deserve recognition for finishing it."

So, your point wasn't super clear.

Reaction Score
I assumed you were going for the cynical route of "your degree is useless and you wasted your time, so you don't deserve recognition for finishing it."

So, your point wasn't super clear.
Fair enough. I was thinking of editing it, but decided that would take too much effort.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If any of you chuckleheads are graduating and willing to work in insurance PM and we can catch up. I've got a lot of peers who are constantly hiring and we are struggling to find people.

Reaction Score
Move out and get a job.

My parents had an interesting way of accomplishing that task.

I came home one day and there was a "For Sale" sign spiked into the front yard.

Up to this point, nobody had mentioned anything.

I got the hint.
Wow, that was a little cold... my parents didn't force me out, but I couldn't wait to be on my own ... even when I still slept (crashed) there sometimes. With our kids, they knew they always had a place to stay. Some moved away, one still here, but he's almost ready to go. We also took in some of their friends over the years too. My wife doesn't like to say 'no'.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Wow, that was a little cold... my parents didn't force me out, but I couldn't wait to be on my own ... even when I still slept (crashed) there sometimes. With our kids, they knew they always had a place to stay. Some moved away, one still here, but he's almost ready to go. We also took in some of their friends over the years too. My wife doesn't like to say 'no'.
Start a career is more important than move out, so long as there is a plan to eventually leave the nest...say in a year to 18 months. I think any college graduate who has the option to save some dough by living at home for a short period of time would be fool to at least not consider it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A graduating poster accepted a job at a Fortune 100 company today thanks to this thread. Score one for the Boneyard - took a grand total of 5 days.

There still are good opportunites in Connecticut, contrary to what some might constantly tell you.

Reaction Score
Best advice I can give in respects to job search is what my father told me.

"You don't have a job until you have an offer so until then keep applying and using the interviews as great practice."

Reaction Score
It will come to u in due time

image.jpg

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I start June 22 so I win the game right?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I start June 22 so I win the game right?
Or lose it depending on your perspective. I'd say the kids spending the next year backpacking thru Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. are the big winners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom