Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Oklahoma vs Baylor, about 12:30, FS1
West Virginia vs Texas, about 5:00, FS1

(Go Big East, lol!)

Reaction Score
Hey, I would be very pleased if the Mountaineers make it to the finals of the Big 12 Tournament!;)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor blew OU's doors off today and is looking like a FF team, and quite frankly, a title contender. This is the most complete team that Kim has ever put together and in any other year (a non-Stewart year) I would predict a national championship.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
For anyone who missed the game today, Mulkey had a nice little melt-down after a foul was called on Baylor when the OU player clearly just fell to the ground. I must find a pic and add it as my avatar.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ETT - I wish the Big12 was as good as they used to be, but WV, OK, and OKSt are just decent and TX has some growing up to do. Baylor looks really solid, but it is hard to get a real handle on them against a weaker than usual conference. I feel the same way about the Pac12 - just not a lot of comparison to the other three P5 conferences. Sort of like rating teams in a vacuum.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
ETT - I wish the Big12 was as good as they used to be, but WV, OK, and OKSt are just decent and TX has some growing up to do. Baylor looks really solid, but it is hard to get a real handle on them against a weaker than usual conference. I feel the same way about the Pac12 - just not a lot of comparison to the other three P5 conferences. Sort of like rating teams in a vacuum.

Well, with the Pac-12 at least you have the data point that UCLA took Notre Dame to overtime and lost to South Carolina by only 3; also, Arizona State has close wins over both Syracuse and Florida State, but close losses to South Carolina and Kentucky. That gives you an idea.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Baylor blew OU's doors off today and is looking like a FF team, and quite frankly, a title contender. This is the most complete team that Kim has ever put together and in any other year (a non-Stewart year) I would predict a national championship.

I completely agree with you. In another post, I said the same thing. Baylor is a top 4 team. They totally embarrassed and exposed Texas last week, and dispatched Oklahoma with little effort today. I suggested that Baylor, South Carolina and UConn are the only teams that could beat Notre Dame. Baylor is not going to lose that much this year. They lose 3 seniors including their starting PG, Niya Johnson. As you know, the other two seniors are not starters. With the addition of the #1 recruit in next year's class, Lauren Cox and #8 rated Natalie Chou, I expect Baylor to be a top 5 team again next year. Cox should come in and help right away.

I expect Baylor to come out of their region to face UConn in the semi-final game in Indiana in April. I believe the overall #1 seed and the #4 seed (Baylor) are always put on the same side of the bracket. This year, based on the "eye test", I don't see any of the 1 seeds losing before they get to the final 4 in April.

There will be some great match-ups, and some great plays made during March. I can't wait to see who emerges as this year's "dark horse". There's one every year that messes up every body's bracket. I think the best games during the NCAA tournament this year will be in April. :p

Reaction Score
Baylor is hitting on all cylinders. Watch out, UConn. They may take the Huskies down.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I completely agree with you. In another post, I said the same thing. Baylor is a top 4 team. They totally embarrassed and exposed Texas last week, and dispatched Oklahoma with little effort today. I suggested that Baylor, South Carolina and UConn are the only teams that could beat Notre Dame. Baylor is not going to lose that much this year. They lose 3 seniors including their starting PG, Niya Johnson. As you know, the other two seniors are not starters. With the addition of the #1 recruit in next year's class, Lauren Cox and #8 rated Natalie Chou, I expect Baylor to be a top 5 team again next year. Cox should come in and help right away.

I expect Baylor to come out of their region to face UConn in the semi-final game in Indiana in April. I believe the overall #1 seed and the #4 seed (Baylor) are always put on the same side of the bracket. This year, based on the "eye test", I don't see any of the 1 seeds losing before they get to the final 4 in April.

There will be some great match-ups, and some great plays made during March. I can't wait to see who emerges as this year's "dark horse". There's one every year that messes up every body's bracket. I think the best games during the NCAA tournament this year will be in April. :p

Baylor's prospects for next year and beyond are truly bright, but I am concerned about the loss of Johnson. After all, Baylor's one bad game this year, and their only loss, was when Johnson didn't play against Oklahoma State. I would hate to see Alexis Jones pressed into point-guard duty. I think she's much more comfortable and effective at the 2 position, and I think her being forced to play PG at Duke (after the injury to Chelsea Gray) was a big reason she didn't want to stick around. As long as Mulkey can find someone suitable for PG, I'd like Baylor's chances against anyone next year.

Reaction Score
Baylor's prospects for next year and beyond are truly bright, but I am concerned about the loss of Johnson. After all, Baylor's one bad game this year, and their only loss, was when Johnson didn't play against Oklahoma State. I would hate to see Alexis Jones pressed into point-guard duty. I think she's much more comfortable and effective at the 2 position, and I think her being forced to play PG at Duke (after the injury to Chelsea Gray) was a big reason she didn't want to stick around. As long as Mulkey can find someone suitable for PG, I'd like Baylor's chances against anyone next year.

That's not that easy though, is it? I agree with Geno in that imo the games are becoming more guard/wing oriented. They have a big hole. Not saying they can't fill it but pg play isn't easy.

Plebe

Reaction Score
That's not that easy though, is it? I agree with Geno in that imo the games are becoming more guard/wing oriented. They have a big hole. Not saying they can't fill it but pg play isn't easy.

Exactly. Hence my concern. It's the one big piece they're losing, but it's a very, very big one.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
As long as Mulkey can find someone suitable for PG, I'd like Baylor's chances against anyone next year.

Meet "Juicy" Landrum. All those who have seen her play say that she is a ball hawk, much in the mold of Sims, and super quick and talented offensively. And she will have the luxury of easing into the position with Wallace and Jones helping her out. She will likely be in a similar position to Jefferson in which she can get the ball down court and allow her teammates (Wallace and Jones) to help run the offense from the wings.

Reaction Score
Meet "Juicy" Landrum. All those who have seen her play say that she is a ball hawk, much in the mold of Sims, and super quick and talented offensively. And she will have the luxury of easing into the position with Wallace and Jones helping her out. She will likely be in a similar position to Jefferson in which she can get the ball down court and allow her teammates (Wallace and Jones) to help run the offense from the wings.

It's not as easy as you make it sound. I see though an article from a Baylor fan states overall she is rated 10 yet the link you click to within that article takes you to hoopgurlz that has her ranked 40. Jefferson overall was number 2. Sims was number 1 or 2 number 2 overall, correct? In her frosh year MoJeff wasn't that good. Not saying that she can't be good but when you speak of "talented offensively" and she is "40" with "hawking skills" something "ain't jivin" if she is being rated 40. Ratings have been known to stink sometimes- I know--- but still . . .

Carnac

Reaction Score

Thanks for the intro ET. We'll keep an eye on her.

Carnac

Reaction Score
For anyone who missed the game today, Mulkey had a nice little melt-down after a foul was called on Baylor when the OU player clearly just fell to the ground. I must find a pic and add it as my avatar.

How many times have we seen players trip over their own feet (while dribbling the ball), and a foul is called on the nearest defensive player to them? I think the refs sometime "anticipate" contact that sometimes is not there.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
How many times have we seen players trip over their own feet (while dribbling the ball), and a foul is called on the nearest defensive player to them? I think the refs sometime "anticipate" contact that sometimes is not there.

I think the ref just wanted to see Mulkey throw a fit. It was a Bear Trap.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's not as easy as you make it sound. I see though an article from a Baylor fan states overall she is rated 10 yet the link you click to within that article takes you to hoopgurlz that has her ranked 40. Jefferson overall was number 2. Sims was number 1 or 2 number 2 overall, correct? In her frosh year MoJeff wasn't that good. Not saying that she can't be good but when you speak of "talented offensively" and she is "40" with "hawking skills" something "ain't jivin" if she is being rated 40. Ratings have been known to stink sometimes- I know--- but still . . .

I don't mean to make it seem easy, but she would not be asked to be 100% in charge of the offense from day 1. Both Wallace and Jones are more than capable of running the offense, although both are better suited to play off the ball. However, Jones had 11 assists yesterday from the shooting guard position, so the offense is more than capable of running efficiently without the PG dominating the ball.

At the time of Landrum's signing she was ranked as the 3rd best PG in the county and #10 overall recruit. I cannot speak to what changed from that point, but I suspect that had she signed with UCONN she would be ranked #1 by now.

Just as Geno knows what he wants in a player, Mulkey knows what she wants in a PG and this is one area that I will put my trust in Kim as she knows a little something about being a great PG.

Reaction Score
I don't mean to make it seem easy, but she would not be asked to be 100% in charge of the offense from day 1. Both Wallace and Jones are more than capable of running the offense, although both are better suited to play off the ball. However, Jones had 11 assists yesterday from the shooting guard position, so the offense is more than capable of running efficiently without the PG dominating the ball.

At the time of Landrum's signing she was ranked as the 3rd best PG in the county and #10 overall recruit. I cannot speak to what changed from that point, but I suspect that had she signed with UCONN she would be ranked #1 by now.

Just as Geno knows what he wants in a player, Mulkey knows what she wants in a PG and this is one area that I will put my trust in Kim as she knows a little something about being a great PG.

1--- My point is -- if she is 40 you might not be a championship caliber pg until after day "720" when she becomes an upperclassmen. The "offensive talent" you speak of- might very well likely be a weakness and teams will dare the underclassman to shoot.

2-- Capable is one thing. Championship caliber is another. First off you did lose when your star pg was out, right? Why weren't the other 2 capable then? Secondly, if they aren't "real" pg's - more than likely you will get the one game with 11 assists but then at any random moment you'll get the 2 assist game.

3-- IMO it's a huge weakness to run things efficiently without a very good pg. That's not good.

4-- You spoke of Jefferson before. Is that what you take from Jefferson's game? She dominates the ball?" Does your current pg dominate the ball?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
1--- My point is -- if she is 40 you might not be a championship caliber pg until after day "720" when she becomes an upperclassmen. The "offensive talent" you speak of- might very well likely be a weakness and teams will dare the underclassman to shoot.

2-- Capable is one thing. Championship caliber is another. First off you did lose when your star pg was out, right? Why weren't the other 2 capable then? Secondly, if they aren't "real" pg's - more than likely you will get the one game with 11 assists but then at any random moment you'll get the 2 assist game.

3-- IMO it's a huge weakness to run things efficiently without a very good pg. That's not good.

4-- You spoke of Jefferson before. Is that what you take from Jefferson's game? She dominates the ball?" Does your current pg dominate the ball?

I will argue about this next season when we BOTH have had a chance to see her play a little college ball. Just giving you a little look at a future player. I suspect that both Baylor and UCONN will have some gaps to fill next season. Baylor loses Johnson, Fuqua and Higgins. UCONN loses Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck. Johnson is good but her loss surely is not as vital as what UCONN will lose, which I think we can all agree upon.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Saw Landrum on the AAU circuit very early on. She has Moriah Jefferson like ability to disrupt and create havoc on defensive end of the floor. I didn't see at the time the field generalship of Johnson but she'll be a good one.

Plebe

Reaction Score
There is no comparison between Baylor's and UConn's impending losses. Baylor loses a great point guard plus some relatively minor bench players. UConn loses a great point guard, plus the consensus best player in the country, plus another all-American. Next year will be ripe for someone else — Baylor, Notre Dame, Louisville, South Carolina, etc. — other than UConn to take it all.

Reaction Score
I will argue about this next season when we BOTH have had a chance to see her play a little college ball. Just giving you a little look at a future player. I suspect that both Baylor and UCONN will have some gaps to fill next season. Baylor loses Johnson, Fuqua and Higgins. UCONN loses Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck. Johnson is good but her loss surely is not as vital as what UCONN will lose, which I think we can all agree upon.

Absolutely UCONN will miss a lot. More than anyone else. UCONN will lose games next year. All I was initially responding to -- and continue to -- regarding the theme of "As long as Mulkey can find someone suitable for PG . . ."

Losing a pg without a replacement is huge. Citing a frosh that is possibly 40th ranked is not that good. Maybe others can fill-in as you say but the one game when your star pg was out, where were the other player's?

I just want to make it clear I am not saying you are wrong. I don't know your team. Heck, I think Nurse can be a fine pg but others on here don't think so. So who knows? It's just that the comment of "finding" and "suitable" and "pg" aren't "good words" together. IMO guard play is HUGE. And pg play should be better than "suitable." Personally, I don't like college teams without strong guard play. If the pg is "suitable only" - imo that is a bigger hole than having only a "suitable only" low post player.

***because I think Nurse can be a good pg, I think our situation at pg is better than yours. We have two pg's and Dangerfield is higher rated than Juicy. Thus our quality of paly at the pg position I believe will be superior to yours. SO even though we lose more we have better that are suited at pg for next season.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Absolutely UCONN will miss a lot. More than anyone else. UCONN will lose games next year. All I was initially responding to -- and continue to -- regarding the theme of "As long as Mulkey can find someone suitable for PG . . ."

Losing a pg without a replacement is huge. Citing a frosh that is possibly 40th ranked is not that good. Maybe others can fill-in as you say but the one game when your star pg was out, where were the other player's?

I just want to make it clear I am not saying you are wrong. I don't know your team. Heck, I think Nurse can be a fine pg but others on here don't think so. So who knows? It's just that the comment of "finding" and "suitable" and "pg" aren't "good words" together. IMO guard play is HUGE. And pg play should be better than "suitable." Personally, I don't like college teams without strong guard play. If the pg is "suitable only" - imo that is a bigger hole than having only a "suitable only" low post player.

***because I think Nurse can be a good pg, I think our situation at pg is better than yours. We have two pg's and Dangerfield is higher rated than Juicy. Thus our quality of paly at the pg position I believe will be superior to yours. SO even though we lose more we have better that are suited at pg for next season.

You apparently misunderstood. My thoughts about Jones and Wallace are in reference to helping Landrum along until Mulkey has had time to mold her. I am also hopeful that Alexandria Gulley, who was a Class 6A all-state player in Texas, will have recovered from her Achilles injury that she suffered in her senior year of HS so that she can challenge Landrum for the starting PG spot. The Baylor offense may look more like the UCONN offense in which everyone touches the ball and is responsible for racking up assists, not just the PG. This scenario is very likely based on the quality of play from the off guards. I am certain that the future is not as bleak as you think, but who knows. Baylor may fall out of the top 10 after Johnson graduates.

I love speculating about next season. This one isn't even over yet but it is still exciting to think about the new challenges and potential for the next season. And it is exciting to think about a season without Stewart. What is she, a 6th ear senior?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Was there, perhaps, a shredding of lame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom