Conference semi-final game threads - AAC | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Conference semi-final game threads - AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Pencil in Courtney Williams on the All-Tourney team.

I'm glad Mo got some rest today.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
but I'd feel better about things if we still had Boykin to compliment Natalie underneath.

I'd feel better if Natalie's play lately wasn't so discouraging. She has skill, but she has quite a few weakness that may not be fixable.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
USF now stretching it out-up by 19. 3 min to play

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
USF now stretching it out-up by 19. 3 min to play

I can't help but wonder if a Temple loss to USF will hurt their bubble position.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I can't help but wonder if a Temple loss to USF will hurt their bubble position.
Because of the other losses by bubble teams and especially Villanova's I think Temple is in.

Reaction Score
With Stewie getting 9 Points and Moriah 2, would the Media not put them on the All Tournament Team? :) Still another game tomorrow most likely against USF. They have time to add to their scoring totals. :) KLS would probably like the opportunity to play against Laska to show the coaches they made the wrong selection on FOY

I don't think Laska is playing tomorrow. Hours ago heard on radio-- said she wouldn't.

Reaction Score
I think it's been overdone by a lot! A huge key is Morgan, but Lou is playing as well as Stewie did 3 years ago. Napheesa shows tons of promise. Gabby is very good and improving. Kia is solid and a great defender. Natalie has had ups and downs, but will be better. Crystal will be an impact player early on. She's like Moriah and Courtney Williams. We may lose a small number of games and we may not win the championship next year, but I'm not ready to concede anything.

I wonder if KLS can defend certain type of posts. Not the Coates or Jones type of builds. But the taller more slender ones "that are more arms and height" rather than "power/girth."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wonder if KLS can defend certain type of posts. Not the Coates or Jones type of builds. But the taller more slender ones "that are more arms and height" rather than "power/girth."
Good question! I think by her junior year she will be able to.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stringfield had 20 and 13 tonight for USF. I love Gabby, but Stringfield was a deserving 6th player.

Reaction Score

With Geno as the coach, I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. He does love to challenge player's too - put them in different positions. And it seems like she has bigger shoulders that Stewie. Arms look just as big. And body just as big. Just doesn't have the extra inch (I think 6'4' vs 6'3?) and arms aren't as long.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Stringfield had 20 and 13 tonight for USF. I love Gabby, but Stringfield was a deserving 6th player.

I for one never begrudge the conference awards going to players from other teams. Let's face it, those awards are largely a PR effort, and UConn hardly needs the extra publicity. I'm happy for both Stringfield and Laksa, and I think they deserved it.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Huskies Rule, post: 1607262, member: 5245" My only gripe- I'd like to see Saniya and Ekmark (the Q4 backcourt for the entire 10 minutes) make at least a minimal effort to ball reverse and to create ball screens and work for a few open looks for Briana and Tierney. That never happened, and I think it should. Polly and Tierney are not able to create their own shots off the dribble, so they need their teammates to help them. That help didn't happen, even once, that I saw. They should get at least a few touches, but they don't. And that pisses me off. Sorry, had to get it off my chest..[/QUOTE]

This is a really good point; thanks! It's easy to say that they may not practice with each other very much, but that's not an excuse.

Reaction Score
I'd feel better if Natalie's play lately wasn't so discouraging. She has skill, but she has quite a few weakness that may not be fixable.
Good observation Slu. However, one improvement I noticed today was Natalie rarely touched the floor with the ball. She kept it high which helped with outlet passes.

Reaction Score
Good observation Slu. However, one improvement I noticed today was Natalie rarely touched the floor with the ball. She kept it high which helped with outlet passes.
I noticed that too. I do remember one time when I screamed, "WHY are you dribbling????" And then the ball got jacked. But, for the most part, I think she is learning. Very teachable - I fully expect Natalie to be a very effective starter next year.

Reaction Score

She is definitely going to struggle at times but if she were to average 30 minutes per game - she would average 14.68 ppg and 10.4 rebounds. While she isn't competing vs the best she also has at times Pulido and Lawlor in the game and she doesn't have all the other great player's that surround her. Geno is going to pound her next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
With Geno as the coach, I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. He does love to challenge player's too - put them in different positions. And it seems like she has bigger shoulders that Stewie. Arms look just as big. And body just as big. Just doesn't have the extra inch (I think 6'4' vs 6'3?) and arms aren't as long.
Hello - open your eyes! :eek::)
Today Geno had a line-up of Chong and Nurse at Guards, Williams and Colliers playing wing/forwards, and ... drum roll ... Lou playing center for a few minutes - on offense it was all motion but on defense Lou was most definitely playing center. Not that Tulane presents a post presence to deal with, but there she was in the center directing traffic.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One of the problems with setting Polly and the Law up for shots is they themselves are definitely intent on playing Uconn basketball and not taking quick shots - there were a few moments where I said to the screen 'SHOOT' and they proceeded to pass up an opening and continue the offense.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Because of the other losses by bubble teams and especially Villanova's I think Temple is in.

I have to say, the one thing that's concerning me about Temple is their RPI, which fell from (I think) 64 to 69 after today's loss. I don't know if the women's tournament has ever had such a low RPI get an at-large.

Reaction Score
Hello - open your eyes! :eek::)
Today Geno had a line-up of Chong and Nurse at Guards, Williams and Colliers playing wing/forwards, and ... drum roll ... Lou playing center for a few minutes - on offense it was all motion but on defense Lou was most definitely playing center. Not that Tulane presents a post presence to deal with, but there she was in the center directing traffic.

I missed it!! Had company - so I missed the lineup. I love it!!!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Interesting comment from Brooke Wisebrough (sp) on ESPNU - to paraphrase her comment on South Carolina, 66 points is not going to win you a national championship. Oh how true!
UCONN won last year with 63 points.

Reaction Score
I had an interesting view of the game. Ended up in first row under the basket near (too near!) the Tulane band. So in the first half, UConn drove to the basket right in front of me.

It is much more apparent from this view how intense and fast UConn is. The players and the ball whipped around so quickly that Tulane couldn't keep up defensively. You also see how physical the inside game is.

The whole team's intensity was obvious even during warm-ups. They were focused and determined.

Mo looked amazing. Some of her driving assists were impossible looking. I was ready to catch her when she jumped the table:)

The Tulane band was really enthusiastic. They probably chanted and shouted more than they played and they never tired! Great spirit, even if the security guy who had to stand in that section was getting an earache.

Watched the first half of the USF game. Was surprised that Williams hadn't gotten untracked in the first half, but figured they would find a way to get her going in the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom