Conference Realignment — Aka Pillaging, Backstabbing — Settles Down, With UConn Among Big Losers | The Boneyard

Conference Realignment — Aka Pillaging, Backstabbing — Settles Down, With UConn Among Big Losers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Posted in Courant via LA Times:

>>In the children's game of musical chairs, the big loser is the kid who can't find a seat when the music stops. In college football's game of musical chairs, the big loser is probably Connecticut. Or, in the expanded game, toss in Boise State, Cincinnati, Central Florida and maybe Brigham Young.<<

http://ow.ly/3or3Ia

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
At least our plight is being recognized in LA too. Good to know that there are west coast sports fans that think it is absurd that UCONN is not in a P5 conference yet.

Reaction Score
I guess it's over. Man, I wish this guy would have waited one more week for ND to go full hog into the ACC (would have been Tuesday at 4:00).

Reaction Score
Really just a re-hash of everything we've known for a couple of years. But, once you are out of "UConn World", it's probably not well-known. Thus, people elsewhere (who haven't lived through the consignment to the gulag) can now be informed. I think it helps. Maybe it will stir a bit of a debate.

"Wait a minute, UConn's out but Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville are in?"

"BC has a place at the table and UConn doesn't?"

"The B1G has taken Maryland and UConn is left behind?"

"WOW, look at the existing P-5 members - a lot of them have done less than nothing on the national stage and they are better off than UConn?"

"And the academics at UConn are very strong to boot - but Louisville finds a seat at the table?"

"That doesn't make sense!"

"Don't we want UConn?"

"I do, if it means we get a great academic institution with the best national bb presence period."

"And they will get the football ship righted once they recover from the Coach "Dead from the s$$ up" era."

SO for all of us that just look at it as old news - you're right. However, it this article stirs some debate like set forth above, it helps.
I would venture a guess that many readers of this article didn't even realize how screwed we were. But, maybe this educates them to the preposterous situation we find ourselves in. Here's hoping!

Reaction Score
UConn has a couple problems, bad at football, fans or people don't support it or care, and market is small.

I could care less about college football, it's a lousy product, the games are sloppy and it blows. However, it affects hoops long term.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
UConn has a couple problems, bad at football, fans or people don't support it or care, and market is small.

I could care less about college football, it's a lousy product, the games are sloppy and it blows. However, it affects hoops long term.

Please stop with this market is small bull $ hit. Iowa, Mississippi, Alabama, Kansas and Oklahoma have two schools a piece. Our market is fine, our enemy is the grandfathered programs.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At least our plight is being recognized in LA too. Good to know that there are west coast sports fans that think it is absurd that UCONN is not in a P5 conference yet.

We hit wine country last fall and were in a tasting room with a some Cal fans lamenting the fact that their FB team wasn't very good. I said my FB team, UConn was even worse. Then I added, "But our basketball team is going to be good this season." And the immediate reply was, "But you always are."

Reaction Score
UConn's market is fine we have two schools in some of the states mich/ mich st., purd/ind ill/northwestern. UConn brings more to the table than just the market size they also help complete NYC and bring in another east coast team. I'm a old time big guy but I'm excited about expanding on the east coast and bringing in new rivalries.

Reaction Score
UConn may be bad at football but that's not the end all so is Illinois, Indiana, purdue, Maryland, rutgers, ect. UConn is a basketball blue blood a land grant university and is pumping billions of dollars in the research arm of the school that has big invite written all over it they have a aau plan and from the looks of it they do they are going after it full throttle.

Reaction Score
We hit wine country last fall and were in a tasting room with a some Cal fans lamenting the fact that their FB team wasn't very good. I said my FB team, UConn was even worse. Then I added, "But our basketball team is going to be good this season." And the immediate reply was, "But you always are."
There is no doubt we have a national reputation due to our incredible basketball success.
The prevailing thought here is basketball fans and football fans are somehow different people. The truth is for the most part they are one in the same.
If UConn was selected instead of Rutgers there would of been less original opposition to us from B1G fans than for the Scarlet. Big fans can correct me if I'm wrong. But I do live in B1G retirement heaven.
The Midwestern traditionalist weren't going to be happy with either. Their original footprint was commissioned by God and changing it is a sacrilege.
Both football teams would have been viewed rightly with the same trepidation ,but in Connecticut's case it would have been tempered by our BB success. "While at least we improved our BB". Indiana might have added soccer.
Keep in mind Rutgers to the average fan is viewed as an Eastern Elite more in the Northwestern class than the Typical state University. They already had one and didn't need another.
I was astounded that intelligent fans didn't realize it's NJU. Or UNJ . Nicky can correct me.
Bad Rutgers PR. and very limited national exposure will do that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UCONN isn't bad at football, we just had a three year stretch of bad coaching that has been fixed (still beat Rutgers twice and Louisville, Cuse and Maryland once) and the football team has plenty of support now and that support will multiply when we get upgraded.

Onward and upward.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You are certainly entitled to your opinion on college football, but I suspect that you would be in the minority of Amerian Sports Fans. If you care about basketball, which I assume you do strongly, than you and other UCONN Fans who share your opinion need to start embracing football.

It sucks that your school is not currently a part of a P5 Conference as your AD as a whole has achieved more than most schools grandfathered in, but if your fans do not support football in a major way going forward your chances of joining one will remain slim. The longer you are kept from the big $$$ generated by P5 Conferences, the harder it will be to compete long term in basketball against the top hoops schools of The P5.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt we have a national reputation due to our incredible basketball success.
The prevailing thought here is basketball fans and football fans are somehow different people. The truth is for the most part they are one in the same.
If UConn was selected instead of Rutgers there would of been less original opposition to us from B1G fans than for the Scarlet. Big fans can correct me if I'm wrong. But I do live in B1G retirement heaven.
The Midwestern traditionalist weren't going to be happy with either. Their original footprint was commissioned by God and changing it is a sacrilege.
Both football teams would have been viewed rightly with the same trepidation ,but in Connecticut's case it would have been tempered by our BB success. "While at least we improved our BB". Indiana might have added soccer.
Keep in mind Rutgers to the average fan is viewed as an Eastern Elite more in the Northwestern class than the Typical state University. They already had one and didn't need another.
I was astounded that intelligent fans didn't realize it's NJU. Or UNJ . Nicky can correct me.
Bad Rutgers PR. and very limited national exposure will do that.

I am curious about your comment on the different types of UCONN Fans, as this seems to be something quite unique to your fan base. Since I started following this site, I've found it interesting to read about so and so being characterized as a Men's, Women's(Bball), or Football Fan. I've even read of some posters being characterized as soccer fans or other olympic sport fans only. While we do have this a bit at our school(PSU), with some fans who's primary interest is wrestling, hockey or volleyball, most still support the entire AD especially football.

As for your main point, I agree that most B1G Traditionalists were not initially thrilled with additions coming from outside of The Midwest. I'm sure there were a large number of fan who would have preferred a KU/MU addition over Rutgers/MD. As a PA Resident I could not be happier. I do agree that UCONN, despite its current football reputation, would have found acceptance more easily than RU. You guys would have been perceived to have brought more athletic value with top tier basketball and hockey. I think even the most casual fan realizes that RU and to a lesser extent UMD were business decisions made to amass viewers, dollars, and recruiting territory. If they can become competitive long term that will be considered a bonus. I believe that UCONN brings a lot of value with an all around strong AD, and a nice sized market. I think the only thing holding you back is another comparable school stepping up to be #16. I still think it happens.

Reaction Score
I am curious about your comment on the different types of UCONN Fans, as this seems to be something quite unique to your fan base. Since I started following this site, I've found it interesting to read about so and so being characterized as a Men's, Women's(Bball), or Football Fan. I've even read of some posters being characterized as soccer fans or other olympic sport fans only. While we do have this a bit at our school(PSU), with some fans who's primary interest is wrestling, hockey or volleyball, most still support the entire AD especially football.

As for your main point, I agree that most B1G Traditionalists were not initially thrilled with additions coming from outside of The Midwest. I'm sure there were a large number of fan who would have preferred a KU/MU addition over Rutgers/MD. As a PA Resident I could not be happier. I do agree that UCONN, despite its current football reputation, would have found acceptance more easily than RU. You guys would have been perceived to have brought more athletic value with top tier basketball and hockey. I think even the most casual fan realizes that RU and to a lesser extent UMD were business decisions made to amass viewers, dollars, and recruiting territory. If they can become competitive long term that will be considered a bonus. I believe that UCONN brings a lot of value with an all around strong AD, and a nice sized market. I think the only thing holding you back is another comparable school stepping up to be #16. I still think it happens.

It's not that unique. There are many Penn State football fans that couldn't care less about Penn State hockey or basketball. There are many UNC, Duke and Kentucky fans that care a whole lot more about basketball than their football teams. UConn has plenty of fans that support the university across the board. Having said that, UConn without an in-state pro team, has a diverse fan base, which is an asset, especially for conferences with a network. For instance, UConn womens basketball team draws interest from many people that never attended UConn, but call them their own, which is, in part, why the womens team outdraws many D1 mens basketball teams. Lot of commas there.

Reaction Score
It's not that unique. There are many Penn State football fans that couldn't care less about Penn State hockey or basketball. There are many UNC, Duke and Kentucky fans that care a whole lot more about basketball than their football teams. UConn has plenty of fans that support the university across the board. Having said that, UConn without an in-state pro team, has a diverse fan base, which is an asset, especially for conferences with a network. For instance, UConn womens basketball team draws interest from many people that never attended UConn, but call them their own, which is, in part, why the womens team outdraws many D1 mens basketball teams. Lot of commas there.

Fair enough. I don't disagree that most schools have fans that identify primarily with one sport. I simply found it unique that there were fans that identified themselves specifically as Women's Bball, Men's Basketball or Football Fans.

Reaction Score
I have, and I'm not sure what you are getting at?

Big can't seem to make up their minds which is more important, fans in the stands or cable boxes. There are many schools which have both but don't think MD is among them (not many fans in the seats). Maybe that is a good thing, more people home watching their Cable

Reaction Score
Big can't seem to make up their minds which is more important, fans in the stands or cable boxes. There are many schools which have both but don't think MD is among them (not many fans in the seats). Maybe that is a good thing, more people home watching their Cable

RU and MD were tapped almost entirely because of TV Markets and recruiting grounds. I'm not sure anyone has argued otherwise. I think as more interesting teams start showing up in College Park and Piscataway on a regular basis attendance will improve for both.

Reaction Score

OUR MARKET IS NOT SMALL. The hartford-new haven dma is 29 and Fairfield county is part of the NYC dma. With Fairfield county the connecticut dma is 20/21. Wow!

Reaction Score

I understand the B1G's reason for adding Rutgers ,I was the far west Rutgers apologists for their move. Unlike the Knight bashers of the BY, I'm well aware that the addition of Rutgers to the B1g increases the chances of a UConn inclusion.. Al-though we have a few NJ retirees out here, none of them could remotely pass as a Rutgers fan. Maybe they are but won 't admit it.
I don't want to insult you but Penn State as a NJ neighbor isn't the typical B1G school fan I had in mind.I'm sure you guys were thrilled with the Eastern pickups,and actually had familararity with the status of Rutgers. If the average PSU fan wasn't aware Rutgers was the state University of NJ then Rutgers PR was beyond bad.
To answer your first question there really is a difference in fans of various UConn Sports.
That difference is mainly in the intensity level of your fandom. We support all UConn teams. The question is how does that support manifest. Itself .
When UConn Men are playing in the NCAA ,if you don't have tickets. a group of fans can be found gathered around broadcasts in every corner of the state.
In the past I added the Sports package to Direct TV ,to be able to watch games on SNY.
If I can't get a basketball game I will be on the boneyard following the game post. Plus an ESPN window open following the play by play.
That level of support for basketball is not yet present for football. UConn basketball has a long rich history and many successes. At one time football in the state belonged to Yale. UConn football didn't capitlize on the void created by Yales departure from national scene. If they went Div 1 in the sixties and started playing BC,Syracue,or even Penn State then. A Northeast Football League might have become a reality.
. There are probably 5 BB fans for every rabid football fan. It's those 4 that will be energized by inclusion in the B1G. and especially with a modicum of success. Connecticut has the potential to be an east coast Nebraska. UConn owns the state of over 3.5 million people. I talking in terms of the love for their state team.
Soccer has always been a popular sport at UConn they have also won 2 or three NC depending on how you count.
You will find a lot less soccer supporters on the football board for some reason.
I was a football player who fell in love with soccer and coached for many years.
Where I came from soccer had a tough struggle with the football establishment.
Hockey has a small but growing fan base. Butch is the BY hockey guy.
Personally I have sworn off Hockey until my beloved Whalers are returned
Women's sport at UConn is hard to describe. Their success is at a level seldom seen in sports. We love them ,but a small percentage of their hard core fans can become a bit extreme.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Decent article yesterday. Intersting rehash was that the Big 12 to look for 2 teams, among them UCF, Cincy, and UConn. Cincy will go most assuredly.
One would think UCF next, unless state of FL gets involved over UCF/USF Pairing? Then us?
Same travel costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99