Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Weakest argument of them all…

-> Why New Mexico State?

Chris Vannini, national college football writer: New Mexico State has bounced around conferences over the last few decades. Its football program has been an independent since 2018 after the Aggies and Idaho were voted out of the southeastern-based Sun Belt. Other sports are currently in the WAC, where the men’s basketball team has won five of the last seven conference titles. They’re a longtime rival of UTEP, and pairing the two schools together as travel partners would make sense.

Why UConn football?

Vannini: UConn football has been independent since 2020 when the Huskies left the American Athletic Conference to join the football-less Big East. The Huskies are currently looking for a new head coach after Randy Edsall resigned two games into the season. They also have had no plans to drop to FCS, as the program has resources to pay well for a new coach and the team recently renovated the locker room.

Why Liberty?

Vannini: Liberty is the most well-resourced and most controversial of the three. The school reportedly offered tens of millions of dollars to conferences in exchange for an invitation when it moved up from FCS five years ago, but was turned down.

The outspoken political involvement of school leaders dissuaded conferences at the time, as did the concern of keeping up with the school’s vast wealth of athletic resources. From new facilities to coaching salaries, Liberty has poured millions into athletics like a Power 5 school. Its football program has succeeded since the move up, going 10-1 last year and currently sitting at 6-2 this year. <-

Blow it up AD Dave…

Reaction Score
Weakest argument of them all…

-> Why New Mexico State?

Chris Vannini, national college football writer: New Mexico State has bounced around conferences over the last few decades. Its football program has been an independent since 2018 after the Aggies and Idaho were voted out of the southeastern-based Sun Belt. Other sports are currently in the WAC, where the men’s basketball team has won five of the last seven conference titles. They’re a longtime rival of UTEP, and pairing the two schools together as travel partners would make sense.

Why UConn football?

Vannini: UConn football has been independent since 2020 when the Huskies left the American Athletic Conference to join the football-less Big East. The Huskies are currently looking for a new head coach after Randy Edsall resigned two games into the season. They also have had no plans to drop to FCS, as the program has resources to pay well for a new coach and the team recently renovated the locker room.

Why Liberty?

Vannini: Liberty is the most well-resourced and most controversial of the three. The school reportedly offered tens of millions of dollars to conferences in exchange for an invitation when it moved up from FCS five years ago, but was turned down.

The outspoken political involvement of school leaders dissuaded conferences at the time, as did the concern of keeping up with the school’s vast wealth of athletic resources. From new facilities to coaching salaries, Liberty has poured millions into athletics like a Power 5 school. Its football program has succeeded since the move up, going 10-1 last year and currently sitting at 6-2 this year. <-

Blow it up AD Dave…
Garbage article

Reaction Score
So then why keep a FB program at this point? So that we can keep paying for a stadium NO ONE and i mean NO ONE outside of like 50 boneyarders will go to for games? Fold this so we can focus on Bball. Football is an epic joke now.

I just hate this - but we also have to stop acting like these other schools are below us in football and aren’t looking at us the same way we look at them. We are literally the worst or second worst team in FBS.

Reaction Score
Thank you
This was a leak from CUSA to try to stop the bleeding. It's not happening.
This is what I hope. They threw it out there to see if it would stick. If Liberty and New Mexico State Bolt couldn't we keep them as their OOC? Umass UConn Army would be all that's left outside of ND who is a non factor for us.

Reaction Score
This is best case scenario for the program.

Being independent is not a long term solution. No better conference will scoop us up football-only. We get to keep basketball in the big East and have a short term home in FBS until we get our footing.
By remaining independent we’d always be destined to drop to FCS, which is objectively a terrible option.

Reaction Score
I just hate this - but we also have to stop acting like these other schools are below us in football and aren’t looking at us the same way we look at them. We are literally the worst or second worst team in FBS.

I get what you are saying but sucking now doesnt mean that is the new standard and thatwe will always have to be the worse. The problem with our fan base is they accept failure. We go to the lowest of low and fans here try to puff out their chest as holier than thou saying how proud they are team got clobbered 50-7 but didnt give up as if they are superior fans and everyone else who's upset are not real fans.

Kansas football absolutely sucks and they are still P5 ... Army has a worse schedule and down years ... I get programs like Vandy Kansas lucked out with the lay of the land and their given history but UConn football keeps hitting new lows and some of those among the few fans that are left are trying to prove they are the superior die hard of die hard that would root for this program in the SunBelt with bells on their toes rather than hold the program to a higher standard than to just fold.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
What are their options? You call the handful of independents you could in theory invite and then leak that you're "in negotiations" so the teams currently in your league stop trying to find a parachute. They're screwed.
I understand why they would leak this out there but even being mentioned in this hurts UConn. Gotta clear things up quickly.

Reaction Score
What are their options? You call the handful of independents you could in theory invite and then leak that you're "in negotiations" so the teams currently in your league stop trying to find a parachute. They're screwed.
I just don't think it's the case. UConn probably had talks (which they should) but it doesn't mean the move is going to happen. Leaking a story like this does nothing, if the remaining teams want to leave they will.

This is so similar to people saying UConn didn't talk to the Big East when Rothstein reported it a fews years before we made the move. And we all know now it was true.

Reaction Score
I just don't think it's the case. UConn probably had talks (which they should) but it doesn't mean the move is going to happen. Leaking a story like this does nothing, if the remaining teams want to leave they will.

This is so similar to people saying UConn didn't talk to the Big East when Rothstein reported it a fews years before we made the move. And we all know now it was true.

It is the case.

Reaction Score
I get what you are saying but sucking now doesnt mean that is the new standard and thatwe will always have to be the worse. The problem with our fan base is they accept failure. We go to the lowest of low and fans here try to puff out their chest as holier than thou saying how proud they are team got clobbered 50-7 but didnt give up as if they are superior fans and everyone else who's upset are not real fans.

Kansas football absolutely sucks and they are still P5 ... Army has a worse schedule and down years ... I get programs like Vandy sucking year in and out and Kansas is how the lay of the land ended up with history etc and all but we keep hitting lows and the few fans that are left are trying to prove they are the most die hard of die hard root for this program in the SunBelt with bells on their toes RA RA Go Team! Maybe we should hold the program to a higher standard than to just fold.
Oh I don’t think this is the way to go at all. All I’m saying is with where we are as a program, how we are perceived, the insecurity of being an independent and if more options for scheduling come off the board I can understand picking up a phone. It wouldn’t be forever. I hope it’s a smoke screen for the MAC somehow personally.

Reaction Score
Pros - CFP money, bowl access (and bowl money), no scheduling issues, cashing in on exit fees
Cons - Degrades the brand, horrific travel, perception, fan interest (not that it's great now), no history / rivalries

I can't see this making sense at all. Maybe, just maybe UMass joining for FB only would help a little bit, but still I don't see this happening.

Reaction Score
Does it really matter which G5 conference we would join for football only? I'd rather stay independent but any move is short-term anyway. I really would have liked to see all the G5 stand pat and let the Big 12 remnants hang in the wind waiting for a G5 invite. All this G5 shuffling is ridiculous.

No way Liberty is joining C-USA either. Liberty offered C-USA additional millions to join a few years ago and C-USA said no.

Reaction Score
A lot of exit fee money there. I could see 2-3 million a year and a 7 game conference schedule....bowl tie ins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom