Complaints about Uconn blow - outs | The Boneyard

Complaints about Uconn blow - outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So ... those people that want to complain about Uconn winning too many games by blow-out, want to make any comments about the competitiveness in the cash cow college football world?! Or maybe the cash cow NFL based on the Thursday night showcase event?
Just saying ...

Reaction Score
What's revealing to me is that there has never been a complaint that team USA (men's and women's) being bad for international BB.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The FIBA tournaments are like an all-star game exhibition. Who doesn't like watching those???

As for UCONN, as long as you appreciate the way the game is played, who needs suspense as to the outcome of the game?

Reaction Score
Like Kibitzer said it is up to UConn's opponents to raise their game. I get sick & tired of all the complaining about UConn, like they are the only WCBB team that has ever blown their competition right off the court :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The FIBA tournaments are like an all-star game exhibition. Who doesn't like watching those???

As for UCONN, as long as you appreciate the way the game is played, who needs suspense as to the outcome of the game?
I totally agree. Suspense is rare, so when it happens, it puts me in edge more than otherwise.

The key moment in men's international hoops was when the original, 1992 Dream Team played in Barcelona. Everyone saw what they needed to be or do. The long-term response is that we have a veritable United Nations in the NBA now, including Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobli on the champion Spurs.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
My (unsolicited and assuredly unwelcome) advice to those (schools, coaches, etc.) who complain about UConn blowouts:

1. Deal with it.

2. Get better.​

+1

Reaction Score
Doris Burke said it best during the Finals UCONN slaughter of ND, "to the teams complaining about UCONN & Geno Auriemma dominating the competition, contact Geno, go watch some of his practices, he has opened practices to UCLA and others! Don't complain , get better!" "they just out work the opposition, there are no secrets to their success!"

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Geno has set the bar high and it gives those coaches and schools something to aspire to. You need that in any sport. You see when you get sick and tired of being sick and tired or you will change and get better or you will quit. Right now there isnt a team that can compete with UConn and there wont be for at least 2 more seasons so long as Breanna Stewart is at UConn. We will have to see where our new freshman class is after next season but I have a feeling with the environment that Geno has created at UConn that the freshman coming in this season and next will keep UConn on top for a very long time.

Reaction Score
WCBB may be suffering a pandemic "Fear of Success." Just like failure, success has its share of unappealing aspects -- long hours, hard work, constant looking over one's shoulder for the next "fast gun" -- that some avoid rather than embrace. And the greater the effort required for success, the greater the number of those avoiding it. Right now, UConn has set a standard for success, and the perceived effort to achieve that standard is outside the comfort zone of many, many programs. They fear success.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
WCBB may be suffering a pandemic "Fear of Success." Just like failure, success has its share of unappealing aspects -- long hours, hard work, constant looking over one's shoulder for the next "fast gun" -- that some avoid rather than embrace. And the greater the effort required for success, the greater the number of those avoiding it. Right now, UConn has set a standard for success, and the perceived effort to achieve that standard is outside the comfort zone of many, many programs. They fear success.
I think in WCBB - it is not the fear of success so much as the unwillingness to invest, both in talent and resources, and in some institutions, the total indifference.

Interestingly - my original post was really more aimed at the fan base at Uconn (and the ESPN board posters) complaining that we don't play enough competitive games - and then looking at a 56-0 start to an NFL game and the usual college football blow-outs yesterday 58-6, 73-14, 66-0, etc.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Blowouts are bad for the game. And be honest, how many of you were glad that UCONN didn't have to face Baylor in the final in Griner's senior season. That would have been a much better game than UCONN vs. Louisville, and good for WCBB, but this board was packed with excitement that Baylor was eliminated before UCONN had to play them.

I'm not saying that Baylor would have won but this "you should get better so you can compete with UCONN" theme seemed to have flown out the window after that Baylor loss.

And I've never seen anyone say "I hope Notre Dame and South Carolina are able to give us a good game this year," which they may.

Reaction Score
I have mixed feelings about blowouts and they are related to the level of team we are playing.

When we are playing teams out of the top 15 or so -- teams that don't come close to matching our level of talent and don't have the coaching genius that UConn possesses (okay, maybe I should say come close to our coaching genius) -- I enjoy the lopsided scores less. I still marvel at UConn's level of preparation and execution (of the game not the opponent) and it is always amazing to watch UConn players in those circumstances play against the game and not the opponent, but I must admit those blowout wins are less satisfying.

However, when we are playing a heated (not hated) rival or a team that competes on the recruiting trail or a team with an obnoxious coach (yes, I recognize that Geno is that to many) I do enjoy UConn's demonstration of their skill, understanding, unselfishness, camaraderie and intensity. For me, the most satisfying wins are when were are playing the few who can truly compete with us on some of the multiple axises (talent, coaching, facilities, name recognition etc.). Those close games which tests our metal -- ultimately leading to the comfortable win -- are the most satisfying.

One caveat to everything above, if we ever play Tennessee again ... we could not win by enough to satisfy me. I might feel some compassion for the Tennessee players (who have nothing to do with this rivalry gone wrong) but the overall karmic justice would overtake those feelings.

Reaction Score
I think in WCBB - it is not the fear of success so much as the unwillingness to invest, both in talent and resources, and in some institutions, the total indifference.

Actually, you've just given a pretty accurate description of the Fear of Success. Perhaps it's the word "fear" that's off-putting. Choosing not to attempt something isn't exactly the same as fearing it. Or is it? Disagreements are often more about definitions than substance. I (mostly) ran a marathon. Once. Was I afraid to run another? Define fear.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ETT - I think in any David v. Goliath there is general celebration for the David who overcomes. Add in strong Big East support, and especially in its final year of existence, and you get pretty strong celebration on this board. Was there relief in an easier path to the NC mixed - certainly, though our biggest recent stumbling block was still in front of us in ND. And unlike TN who we really would have liked to meet and crush, Baylor and Uconn exist in a fairly congenial state of rivalry with respect on both sides from players and fans.

Judge - agree with your analysis. Again, I was just comparing the general complaint about strength of schedule in women's games compared to the ridiculous blow-out mismatches that litter the CFB schedule with no complaints that I see. When UGA schedules the Men of Troy and crushes them 66-0, I doubt there are people posting laments about the weak FB schedule.

Reaction Score
Blowouts are bad for the game. And be honest, how many of you were glad that UCONN didn't have to face Baylor in the final in Griner's senior season. That would have been a much better game than UCONN vs. Louisville, and good for WCBB, but this board was packed with excitement that Baylor was eliminated before UCONN had to play them.

I'm not saying that Baylor would have won but this "you should get better so you can compete with UCONN" theme seemed to have flown out the window after that Baylor loss.

And I've never seen anyone say "I hope Notre Dame and South Carolina are able to give us a good game this year," which they may.
I think if you were reading this board then, and I'm pretty sure you were, you should remember many, many here expressing a desire to face Baylor and Griner in the final given how well Stewart and the team were playing in the tournament. Certainly the majority here believed (and still believe) UConn would win.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think if you were reading this board then, and I'm pretty sure you were, you should remember many, many here expressing a desire to face Baylor and Griner in the final given how well Stewart and the team were playing in the tournament. Certainly the majority here believed (and still believe) UConn would win.

That is easy to say after you know it won't happen. Have you ever noticed how many people say after you move "I would have helped had I known you needed help."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Actually, you've just given a pretty accurate description of the Fear of Success. Perhaps it's the word "fear" that's off-putting. Choosing not to attempt something isn't exactly the same as fearing it. Or is it? Disagreements are often more about definitions than substance. I (mostly) ran a marathon. Once. Was I afraid to run another? Define fear.
But that is a choice - college's must 'run a marathon' every year (support women's athletic teams) so they can have their men's football and basketball teams. But when they refuse to actually invest in training and show up at the start of the marathon with a super sized meal and a six pack of beer I don't think fear or avoidance, or any other part of what you are talking about applies - to me that is just complete indifference. I think it is not limited to women's teams - there some number of CFB powerhouses that appear equally indifferent about their men's BB teams, fewer, but definitely some.

Reaction Score
UCONN would have beaten the Griner/Sims led Baylor by 20+ points had they not lost to L'ville! There is a reason UCONN is 9-0 in NCAA Finals! Geno is the master of figuring where the strengths are and taking them away! And in 1/2 time adjustments there is no-one better!
And YES they have lost to St. John's, Duke, Syracuse (years ago), ND, TN, but in the Finals he avoids those moments.
In the most recent ND victories that Miss Muffett was so proud to point out on Selection Monday, UCONN created negativity that led to those defeats! ND didn't beat UCONN, UCONN beat UCONN! When UCONN finally got pissed off enough at all the BS they slaughtered the Irish to the point that Miss Muffett compared the Huskies to the Miami Heat.
That's why no matter who Duke, ND, L'ville, TN, Baylor, Stanford, signs as recruits or gets as transfers they won't beat UCONN in the ultimate game!
Concerning blowouts, I don't watch the score, I watch how the girls play 40 minutes of all out basketball, diving for balls with a 30+ lead with less than 1 minute left in the game. Playing awesome defense for the whole game not in 30 second streaks.

Reaction Score

Interestingly - my original post was really more aimed at the fan base at Uconn (and the ESPN board posters) complaining that we don't play enough competitive games - and then looking at a 56-0 start to an NFL game and the usual college football blow-outs yesterday 58-6, 73-14, 66-0, etc.

You know, or a number of years I've been one of the people on this board who have argued for a better out of conference schedule for UConn. My argument was something like this: Yeah, I know there are lots of schools who do not want to give UConn a game, but surely they can do better than Fairleigh Dickinson, Iona, Hofstra and the like. (These were among the patsies that were scheduled as parts of an ill-fated holiday tournament played at the Civic Center a few years back.)

Well, UConn has upped its out of conference schedule, at least it seems so to me. Two things happened. First, UConn kept winning by impressive margins and second, UConn changed conferences and now the in-conference schedule is weak.

To which I can only conclude: It's a good thing they took on tougher teams out of conference to make up for SMU and Houston and the other turkeys, and second, sometimes, you just can't win (even when you win).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom