College Football Making Progress | The Boneyard

College Football Making Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Finding the correct metrics to measure and assess can be tricky.

Take college football.

Isaiah Crowell of Georgia gets arrested by Athens-Clarke county police for felony weapons possession in a school zone and possession of a weapon with altered serial numbers.

He was pulled over around 2:00 am in his 2005 Grand Marquis after police smelled marijuana.

So, what do we learn from this?

1. 19 year old kid smoking weed? No big deal in the overall scheme of things. He's in school, it's summer, it happens. Progress= Push.

2. Carrying a weapon in a school zone? It was a 9mm luger, a sensible choice of weapon, not an assault rifle, or modified in to some automatic. Progress= Yes. That a 19 year old Georgia bred and raised teenager would have a simple pistol in his possession isn't earth shattering.

But here's where we are seeing real reform in college football.

1. A University of Georgia star RB was actually detained, identified and arrested by the police in his university town. Progress= Huge. A decade ago this never would have happened. The county police would have either taken the gun and thrown it in a creek, taken the gun and shown him how to properly use it, helped him file a few more digits to make sure the gun was really untraceable and then gotten his autograph.

2. He was arrested in a 2005 Grand Marquis. Again, under the constructs of a decade ago, he would be driving a BMW 5-series, an Audi or a Lexus. Now he is driving around in a late model beater that even the used car lot salesman booster wouldn't give his aunt to give to him.

3. He was detained at 2:00am and booked by 3:37am. Rhodes scholars hang out later than that during the summer.

So, overall, nothing in the story lowers the level of college football behavior and there are several metrics that show, enough is enough. The adults are going to behave responsibly around these kids and hold them to the same standard as regular students.

http://espn.go.com/colleges/georgia...gs-isaiah-crowell-faces-felony-weapons-counts

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The real progress will be known when Georgia takes the field in September and Crowell is or is not in uniform.

He'll be in a uniform. Question is, will it be his UGA uniform or Athen-Clarke county correctional uniform?

And remember, we are talking steps in the right direction. Baby steps, but steps nonetheless.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I still have ten bucks that says in another year or so some NFL team drafts him.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Finding the correct metrics to measure and assess can be tricky.

Take college football.

Isaiah Crowell of Georgia gets arrested by Athens-Clarke county police for felony weapons possession in a school zone and possession of a weapon with altered serial numbers.

He was pulled over around 2:00 am in his 2005 Grand Marquis after police smelled marijuana.

So, what do we learn from this?

1. 19 year old kid smoking weed? No big deal in the overall scheme of things. He's in school, it's summer, it happens. Progress= Push.

2. Carrying a weapon in a school zone? It was a 9mm luger, a sensible choice of weapon, not an assault rifle, or modified in to some automatic. Progress= Yes. That a 19 year old Georgia bred and raised teenager would have a simple pistol in his possession isn't earth shattering.

But here's where we are seeing real reform in college football.

1. A University of Georgia star RB was actually detained, identified and arrested by the police in his university town. Progress= Huge. A decade ago this never would have happened. The county police would have either taken the gun and thrown it in a creek, taken the gun and shown him how to properly use it, helped him file a few more digits to make sure the gun was really untraceable and then gotten his autograph.

2. He was arrested in a 2005 Grand Marquis. Again, under the constructs of a decade ago, he would be driving a BMW 5-series, an Audi or a Lexus. Now he is driving around in a late model beater that even the used car lot salesman booster wouldn't give his aunt to give to him.

3. He was detained at 2:00am and booked by 3:37am. Rhodes scholars hang out later than that during the summer.

So, overall, nothing in the story lowers the level of college football behavior and there are several metrics that show, enough is enough. The adults are going to behave responsibly around these kids and hold them to the same standard as regular students.

http://espn.go.com/colleges/georgia...gs-isaiah-crowell-faces-felony-weapons-counts

I don't really see any of this as progress for college football overall. Mark Richt does not play around. You screw up with a gun in your possession, you are gone. The kid was a problem in the locker room all last year as well. This was an easy decision for Coach Richt (who is one of the good guys in the sport). If this had been any number of other schools, he would be looking at a 2 game suspension.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Has he transfered to Ohio State yet?

I'm actually pleasantly surprised (In the way Ron Burgundy was amazed with Baxter) that no one has suggested Uconn offer him a scholarship and a second chance. I sure as heck wouldn't advocate that, but I thought at least someone on this board would.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't really see any of this as progress for college football overall. Mark Richt does not play around. You screw up with a gun in your possession, you are gone. The kid was a problem in the locker room all last year as well. This was an easy decision for Coach Richt (who is one of the good guys in the sport). If this had been any number of other schools, he would be looking at a 2 game suspension.

Then you missed the sarcasm about the SEC's reputation for not caring at all about anything that occurs outside the goal posts. And I agree that not all schools would have thrown him out prior to a trial and conviction.

Reaction Score
I do not think most people are getting the sarcasm that this post possesses.

Reaction Score
Then you missed the sarcasm about the SEC's reputation for not caring at all about anything that occurs outside the goal posts. And I agree that not all schools would have thrown him out prior to a trial and conviction.

In terms of "other schools," does anyone remember what the punishment was for the U of Florida player caught with the CAR-15?

Reaction Score
In terms of "other schools," does anyone remember what the punishment was for the U of Florida player caught with the CAR-15?

Yes, the player moved up in the depth chart.

Reaction Score
Chin I think you missed the point my man. 10 years ago the cops would have been pissed he didn't have at least stripper in the car...upon whom they could have pinned the entire incident. Of course, his night would have ended at Perkins eating pancakes with the cops while posing for photos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom