College basketball is about to get more popular | The Boneyard

College basketball is about to get more popular

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Why?

Pay for play and NIL combined with the one and done rule.

If players are paid by schools combined with huge endorsement deals while being forced to spend one year after high school playing in a league other than the NBA, the best teenage players will forgo professional opportunities in the G League, Europe, and Australia as they can make more at an elite college program if paid according to market value.

The G League Ignite is done. I suspect Overtime Elite is next.

Reaction Score
Why?

If players are paid by schools combined with huge endorsement deals while being forced to spend one year after high school playing in a league other than the NBA, the best teenage players will forgo professional opportunities in the G League, Europe, and Australia as they can make more at an elite college program if paid according to market value.

I doubt it, frankly. Yes, the talent pool will be better by a handful of young players every year, but the fact that teams will look entirely different year to year as everyone leaves everywhere for extra minutes and/or money is not going to increase the popularity of the sport. The current boom was triggered by a young woman who played for one school for four years. As the game moves away from that model, there is no reason to think it is going to be more popular.

I hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark is the best women's 3 point shooter I've ever seen. She's an excellent passer. She also has many other facets to her game, but there are many great players before her that didn't have her fame that did those things better.

I'm skeptical about the new fame of women's BB for 2 reasons. ESPN has pumped it constantly and consistently since they have the contract for peanuts.

Two, the Angel Reese and Clark drama has some Bird - Magic elements to it that had people choosing sides based on complexion. And if you think I'm exaggerating, you haven't listened to sports media discuss the Clark - Reese thing.

We have this oddity of a billion being paid to show games on TBS while ESPN pays a couple hundred thou to pump the women's game. I know Clark's 3 point ability is transcendent but I can name 5-10 players that were equally good at certain facets of the game.

Reaction Score
May I discuss Caitlin Clark (because everyone has been kissing her behind)?
Great shooter granted but it’s a smaller basketball. She has hands as big or bigger than a man’s but it is easier to shoot 3’s with that ball.
Next, on multiple occasions she went down like a shot when she was barely touched shooting a 3. We all saw it.
Her team was like Purdue, they had her and she had to do the shooting.
Once again, great player, tremendously hyped. Paige is a more complete team oriented player.

Reaction Score
Why?

The key to enlarging your audience is to get people that don’t ordinarily watch to tune in. The basketball junkies that know who the high school phenoms are, are already watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom