Reaction Score
There are only 5 men who could have coached this team to the NCAA championship:
1. Kevin Ollie
2. Red Auerbach
3. John Wooden
4. Phil Jackson
5. Vince Lombardi

Don't Forget about " Pop "

He's about to lead My Spurs, to Their 5th Ring !!!

Reaction Score
Don't Forget about " Pop "

He's about to lead My Spurs, to Their 5th Ring !!!
I was very close to putting him on there after Chuck Norris I also forgot Norman Dale.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Calhoun was not about winning popularity contests, or for matter winning in October, when the his hook was the fastest. But by March his kids were tough as nails. I wouldn't bet against him...ever.

Reaction Score
This question is fine and I think it's up for debate on this years team and as we know we can only speculate.

But to bring it back any further is quite ridiculous. Who cares seriously? We had a HOF coach who made this program what it was so KO could win a national Championship his 2nd year……JC is a God. Now we're going to try to figure out if KO could have coached any of JC's teams who didn't win National Championships, better than JC?

PLEASE show some respect

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I've criticized JC's later years (and taken a lot of flack for it on this forum).

But it all doesn't happen without JC. And as much as I love Ollie, I don't think he could have done what Jim did. I think to will UCONN into a contender and beyond, it took a tough, willful coach with a chip on his soldier and a willingness to confront every perceived slight in his way

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
hoosiers-17.jpg

"Hell, I know I could've. I bet you could've too. Drunk even."

Reaction Score
Just don't know if anyone (JC included) could have done it. JC did something pretty similar though in 2011 w/Kemba.

I'll say this about those saying that maybe JC couldn't connect anymore. I don't think that is true at all. Shabazz and Boatright made it pretty clear that they loved playing for JC, just in a way that is different from what they feel for Ollie.

I do think that Calhoun had struggled to be able to mold his teams the way he wanted. I think the last team I saw that was a vintage Calhoun UConn team (improve consistently over two years, explode in the third year) was the 2009 team. If Dyson doesn't go down then I think we would have had a one of the all time classic final games v UNC that year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'll say this about those saying that maybe JC couldn't connect anymore. I don't think that is true at all. Shabazz and Boatright made it pretty clear that they loved playing for JC, just in a way that is different from what they feel for Ollie.

I do think that Calhoun had struggled to be able to mold his teams the way he wanted. I think the last team I saw that was a vintage Calhoun UConn team (improve consistently over two years, explode in the third year) was the 2009 team. If Dyson doesn't go down then I think we would have had a one of the all time classic final games v UNC that year.

Yep.

I still don't get why you are discounting 2011 though. JC had that team a well greased machine. They won 13 tournament games!

Those who doubt Jim Calhoun are wrong, way more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom