Coaching History Question (for older fans) | The Boneyard

Coaching History Question (for older fans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
My fandom only dates back to several years into the Edsall era, and upon reading the thread about his firing, I was curious: has UConn ever had a football coach that the fan base seemed to universally view favorably? Edsall to this day is incredibly polarizing, PP was utter sh.it, and Diaco is turning all of our hair gray whether we like him or not. Who was the last coach everyone agreed on liking - Skip Holtz? Tom Jackson? Walt Nadzak?

Reaction Score
I don't think anybody like Nadzak. Casciola maybe. Jackson and Skip had some success so they probably where liked for awhile.

Reaction Score
.......Probably T.D.Knowles from 1899 to 1901, followed very closely by E.o.Smith. , named the H.S after him.

Reaction Score
All of Randy's predecessors, with the possible exception of Skip, predate the internet. Skip was very popular with the fanbase. Jackson was as well, but towards the end everyone knew it was time to go.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
My fandom only dates back to several years into the Edsall era, and upon reading the thread about his firing, I was curious: has UConn ever had a football coach that the fan base seemed to universally view favorably? Edsall to this day is incredibly polarizing, PP was utter sh.it, and Diaco is turning all of our hair gray whether we like him or not. Who was the last coach everyone agreed on liking - Skip Holtz? Tom Jackson? Walt Nadzak?

People hated Calhoun the year after teh dream season.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Skip was pretty popular. After he left there were Skip vs Randy fights on the old boards. There was one poster who especially loved Skip - Calichick????

Reaction Score
Jackson was liked when I was there, but quite honestly, it was small time. I just wish we had a "hill"at the Rent to watch games for old time sake.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Skip was pretty popular. After he left there were Skip vs Randy fights on the old boards. There was one poster who especially loved Skip - Calichick????
Yeah - was going to post this.

Reaction Score
Jackson and Holtz.....they were both successful with the league they were in and getting recruits to UConn for the level of competition they were at. Always competitive teams, and sometimes some real shootouts. IMHO, last time(s) UConn had explosive offenses.

By a quirk in scheduling, UConn beat UMass twice in one year and went to its first time post season appearance........1-1 record. Incidentally, UMass won the National Championship the same year (1999, I think).

Reaction Score
For us oldtimers, Rick Forzano was a pretty popular guy in the mid to late 60s. His 65 team knocked off Yale in the bowl. H also had a number of assistants then who went on to coach elsewhere including the NFL Think Lou Holtz and Sam Rutigliano. All of them were head coaches in the NFL, including Forzano. All were considered really bright young guys. And definitely, very gung ho.

Reaction Score
Going way back, J O Christian and Bob Ingalls. Both were liked in the days of the old New England rivalries.

Reaction Score
Jackson and Holtz.....they were both successful with the league they were in and getting recruits to UConn for the level of competition they were at. Always competitive teams, and sometimes some real shootouts. IMHO, last time(s) UConn had explosive offenses.

By a quirk in scheduling, UConn beat UMass twice in one year and went to its first time post season appearance...1-1 record. Incidentally, UMass won the National Championship the same year (1999, I think).

Reaction Score
Nobody cared for John Toner. People were doing cartwheels when he decided to give up the coaching reins to concentrate full time as athletic director. And, bless him, when Dave Gavitt came visiting & asked J.T. if UConn would join the Big East Conference that he was forming, John immediately said YES.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom