Coaching Carousel 2017 (merged threads) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Coaching Carousel 2017 (merged threads)

Reaction Score
Tina Martin at Delaware "retiring"
Recruiting never got back to the "EDD" level?

Tina Martin retiring as Delaware women's basketball coach

"Delaware had been exploring the possibility of cutting ties with Martin, its coach since the 1996-97 season, by gathering possible reasons for dismissal this spring. Martin was under contract through the 2019-20 season and could not be terminated without cause.

It subsequently appeared Delaware determined Martin, with a veteran team returning and strong recruiting class arriving, should retain her position. A further reassessment instead contributed to Martin’s exit.

Dissatisfaction with Martin’s approach among players, expressed during a pair of recent meetings with athletic director Chrissi Rawak, and apparently shared by some UD decision-makers played a part in the matter, sources have told The News Journal."

Article includes a couple short videos from players who supported her.

Also: "Rawak became athletic director last May. In this, her first full school year at Delaware, she has fired her football and volleyball coaches, accepted the resignation of the only women’s soccer coach Delaware ever had and will hire a men’s lacrosse coach with 39th-year coach Bob Shillinglaw’s impending retirement."

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Trisha Stafford-Odom on her way back to the Triangle. New head coach at NCCU ... or Central as we call it here in NC. They have been a bottom dwellar in the MEAC..... it will be interesting to see if she can have any success there. I wouldnt be surprised if she landed a few transfers from larger schools in the next few years.

Trisha Stafford-Odom hired to turn around Lady Eagles

Reaction Score
Natasha Adair HC at Georgetown, becomes head coach at Delaware.

The Big East often gets more than 1 bid to the NCAAs. The Colonial conference never does.

It is incredibly rare for a coach to move from a multi bid league to a single-bid league. This suggests the situation at Georgetown is not good.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Natasha Adair HC at Georgetown, becomes head coach at Delaware.

The Big East often gets more than 1 bid to the NCAAs. The Colonial conference never does.

It is incredibly rare for a coach to move from a multi bid league to a single-bid league. This suggests the situation at Georgetown is not good.
Have you ever been to a game at Georgetown???:(

Seriously, I don't know how much "better" Delaware might be as a job, but Georgetown was surely no great prize. As to the Colonial, they have managed 2 bids on occasion and I'm not sure who else besides JMU is really good. The nBE is anchored by DePaul, Creighton and Villanova have long term coaches and are always competition, Marquette and St. John's and Seton Hall (in spite of this past season) are also competitive. It might be a case of having a problem being consistently able to compete with this group of teams.

Reaction Score

Seriously, I don't know how much "better" Delaware might be as a job, but Georgetown was surely no great prize. As to the Colonial, they have managed 2 bids on occasion and I'm not sure who else besides JMU is really good. The nBE is anchored by DePaul, Creighton and Villanova have long term coaches and are always competition, Marquette and St. John's and Seton Hall (in spite of this past season) are also competitive. It might be a case of having a problem being consistently able to compete with this group of teams.

No aspiring coach wants to be a 1-bid league if s/he can avoid it. She could have. This does not reflect well on GT.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I hope HuskyNan doesnt see your post or my reply :rolleyes: But Elon won the regular season and the post season bid. They ended up as a #11 seed and gave Lesser Virginia a competitive game for about 32 minutes or so in the first round. Their coach is positioned for a high major job if she keeps it up.... not sure how much longer Elon can keep her around. Personally I think she (Charlotte Smith) would be the obvious choice to succeed Hatchell at UNC.... but as a Duke fan...... I hope she doesnt go there anytime soon. :oops:

Reaction Score
I hope HuskyNan doesnt see your post or my reply :rolleyes: But Elon won the regular season and the post season bid. They ended up as a #11 seed and gave Lesser Virginia a competitive game for about 32 minutes or so in the first round. Their coach is positioned for a high major job if she keeps it up.... not sure how much longer Elon can keep her around. Personally I think she (Charlotte Smith) would be the obvious choice to succeed Hatchell at UNC.... but as a Duke fan. I hope she doesnt go there anytime soon. :oops:
Still on the Lorraine thing, huh?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I hope HuskyNan doesnt see your post or my reply :rolleyes: But Elon won the regular season and the post season bid. They ended up as a #11 seed and gave Lesser Virginia a competitive game for about 32 minutes or so in the first round. Their coach is positioned for a high major job if she keeps it up.... not sure how much longer Elon can keep her around. Personally I think she (Charlotte Smith) would be the obvious choice to succeed Hatchell at UNC.... but as a Duke fan. I hope she doesnt go there anytime soon. :oops:
Elon doesn't have a long history of winning the conference - Delaware and JMU do. OTH, JMU changed coaches last year, so . . . But my point is that, in fact, the Colonial is not a conference where any team can't make a run.

I don't really know what is going on at Georgetown - I heard they were fund raising for a practice facility. The gym where they play and practice (now) is a dump, to be blunt. One of our old RU players - one of the last few Grentz recruits - was recruited to Georgetown, there are apparently some stringent academic requirements for athletes as well as students (or there were at the time) but she didn't go because, in the end, she didn't like the coach, a gent named Pat Knapp that barked (like a dog) on the sideline.

Reaction Score
Elon doesn't have a long history of winning the conference - Delaware and JMU do.

No Delaware does not. It won 2 times when EDD was there. That's it in their 16 years in the conference.
In their 10 years in their previous conference (America East), DE one won 1 title.

UDel is not a strong program.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Still on the Lorraine thing, huh?

Well I go back and forth between her and Ms Rogers ..... I like this particular shot ..... might stick with it a few weeks. Its a long off-season .... so stay tuned :cool: One of my fellow Duke fans has Coach McCallie as an avatar..... Im sure you like mine better :p

Elon doesn't have a long history of winning the conference - Delaware and JMU do. OTH, JMU changed coaches last year, so . . . But my point is that, in fact, the Colonial is not a conference where any team can't make a run. .

Well they have only been in the conference for 3 years...... two WNIT appearances and a NCAA bid this past season. Obviously they are on an upward trajectory.... i expect them to remain competitive as long as Smith remains.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="triaddukefan, post: 2194791, member: 378"
Well they have only been in the conference for 3 years. two WNIT appearances and a NCAA bid this past season. Obviously they are on an upward trajectory.... i expect them to remain competitive as long as Smith remains.[/QUOTE]
That, I agree on. But I do think she will go on to bigger and better.

It is very hard to predict the marginal conferences - and, to be honest, I don't really follow them much at all. I do follow how Rutgers' and Arizona's opponents perform, but that's about it. Plus our old Big East companions now in the American and new Big East. OTH, I follow the power conferences quite carefully.

As to Deleware, I always thought they were pretty decent for their level (I knew they only excelled for the couple of years they had EDD). But I wasn't really following them, so I guess they weren't competitive. I would have thought they had made some WNIT appearances, but I guess not.

Reaction Score
Elon doesn't have a long history of winning the conference - Delaware and JMU do. OTH, JMU changed coaches last year, so . . . But my point is that, in fact, the Colonial is not a conference where any team can't make a run.

I don't really know what is going on at Georgetown - I heard they were fund raising for a practice facility. The gym where they play and practice (now) is a dump, to be blunt. One of our old RU players - one of the last few Grentz recruits - was recruited to Georgetown, there are apparently some stringent academic requirements for athletes as well as students (or there were at the time) but she didn't go because, in the end, she didn't like the coach, a gent named Pat Knapp that barked (like a dog) on the sideline.
I remember Pat Knapp from games in the old Big East. There was a question of whether he or Harry Perretta did more verbal coaching from the sidelines. I almnost wish I had seen a Georgetown-Villanova game just to hear the two of them go at it. On second thought, maybe not.

Reaction Score
Well I go back and forth between her and Ms Rogers ..... I like this particular shot ..... might stick with it a few weeks. Its a long off-season .... so stay tuned :cool: One of my fellow Duke fans has Coach McCallie as an avatar..... Im sure you like mine better :p
Touche

Reaction Score
No Delaware does not. It won 2 times when EDD was there. That's it in their 16 years in the conference.
In their 10 years in their previous conference (America East), DE one won 1 title.

UDel is not a strong program.

Delaware was an NCAA at-large in 2006-2007, had the automatic bids in 2001, 2012 and 2013, and had 7 WNIT appearances between 2002 and 2014. Even in down years, its average attendance is more than 2x Georgetown.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Recruiting never got back to the "EDD" level?

Tina Martin retiring as Delaware women's basketball coach

"Delaware had been exploring the possibility of cutting ties with Martin, its coach since the 1996-97 season, by gathering possible reasons for dismissal this spring. Martin was under contract through the 2019-20 season and could not be terminated without cause.

It subsequently appeared Delaware determined Martin, with a veteran team returning and strong recruiting class arriving, should retain her position. A further reassessment instead contributed to Martin’s exit.

Dissatisfaction with Martin’s approach among players, expressed during a pair of recent meetings with athletic director Chrissi Rawak, and apparently shared by some UD decision-makers played a part in the matter, sources have told The News Journal."

Article includes a couple short videos from players who supported her.

Also: "Rawak became athletic director last May. In this, her first full school year at Delaware, she has fired her football and volleyball coaches, accepted the resignation of the only women’s soccer coach Delaware ever had and will hire a men’s lacrosse coach with 39th-year coach Bob Shillinglaw’s impending retirement."

Welp.... She's going to UNC-W as an assistant coach..... UNC-W is in the Colonial with Delaware.... Should make for some interesting post game handshake lines :cool:

Martin Joins Women's Basketball Staff

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom