Coach P | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coach P

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well said, pj. And also, let me qualify my earlier statements by saying that there was more than one moment where I yelled at the tv screen, "WTF, PP?!?" (many of them were clock-management moments). But it seems clear to me that this team improved noticeably as the season went on, even against tougher competition. That is a very good sign...it's normally a sign that the coaching is solid.

pj

Reaction Score
Great point about the decommits, Huskyfandan. PP is highly respected in the coaching fraternity and we have to expect that most kids we offer will have 10 other offers by signing day.

Game on!

Reaction Score
I am generally happy with the Pasqualoni hire.

I was surprised initially. Then, somewhat upbeat through the first couple weeks. I did read all the retread remarks from National & Regional media. Certainly, in retrospect, we did not seem to have any candidates that jumped up and NEON light was an obvious guy. I am not sure Addazio tells me a better fit than PP; though, I now see his merit. Whipple? I hated that idea. McGee? Seemed a trite early. NFL guys? MAC guys? Our UNH HC? Other CAA.

Then ... the season of 2011. In reflection, Edsall would have done far better because he knew the Depth Chart weaknesses. He would have fought for Robbie Frey. Someone other than McEntee would have thrown the ball. And we would have been more robust through the roster. PP took what he got & put his stamp on it. The OLine changes hurt - I think. But DeLeone & FOLEY ... I believe ... will turn this into a positive. You cannot argue that PP hasn't quickly figured out who to go after; how to use his relationships in CT & regionally to get kids; and how to sell OUR UConn. Quickly, I think he has targeted the type of athletes he was generally getting at SU ... and I don't think Edsall was.

Saying that, I won't disparage Edsall. Good solid job getting us to a point.

Reaction Score
Sure, but none of the victories had anything to do with him, though....right? I mean, that is what you are saying. You're saying that his 5 wins would have all been achieved by Edsall (or someone else), and only his losses were in the balance, right? Does another coach beat a favored USF with this roster? Does another coach beat a very competitive Syracuse team with this roster? Does another coach absolutely whallop a favored Rutgers team with this roster??

The answer is, "I don't know." I'm not trying to give him a free-pass for anything. I'm trying to call it as fairly as I can. But I can't just say that the losses are on him, and not give any credit for the wins. And I don't think anyone else should either.

Fair. But I went to Vandy. And I feel I can blame the staff for that one. That's the only one that I fault him for.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Fair. But I went to Vandy. And I feel I can blame the staff for that one. That's the only one that I fault him for.

I'm going to refer to that as the Commodore Bias. ;)

Reaction Score
Sure, but none of the victories had anything to do with him, though....right? I mean, that is what you are saying. You're saying that his 5 wins would have all been achieved by Edsall (or someone else), and only his losses were in the balance, right? Does another coach beat a favored USF with this roster? Does another coach beat a very competitive Syracuse team with this roster? Does another coach absolutely whallop a favored Rutgers team with this roster??

The answer is, "I don't know." I'm not trying to give him a free-pass for anything. I'm trying to call it as fairly as I can. But I can't just say that the losses are on him, and not give any credit for the wins. And I don't think anyone else should either.

Syracuse went 1-6 last year in the Big East. What exactly is your definition of competitive?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Syracuse went 1-6 last year in the Big East. What exactly is your definition of competitive?

for argument sake, last year cuse beat wake and wvu. they finished the year on a dive going o for 5 (lville, uconn, pitt, usf, cincy)

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I like pasqualoni ,he's a true football guy loves the game, is he the future? Nah he's the guy remodeling the house.

pj

Reaction Score
Pasqualoni is 62. JoePa coached to age 85, Bobby Bowden to age 80. Coach P might be here longer than Randy Edsall was, that would take him to 73. This could be quite a bit more than "remodeling." The guy looks like he's in great health.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I was hoping for someone like a Mario Cristobal, fully recognizing that if he was successful at UConn, he probably would not have stayed for more than 3 years. To me, that would have been worthwhile but I know not everyone would agree. He's a young guy with a track record of turning around a moribund program in FIU, has great recruiting ties to Florida and had experience in the Big East at RU.

All that being said, the decision was made in another direction and I'm not unhappy with PP. Could certain game situations been handled better? Of course with the Vandy game being front and center. That being said, I'm giving him at least one and probably two more years to see what he can do with "his" guys.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I remember when coach P, was givin the job, this board bash Uconn Hathaway for doing this, well I think we should give prop 2 both since Coach P, been here look at Uconn recruits or transfers, QB , 2 WR, lineman, 2 LB, and these kids r big time players, under Coach Edsall this wasnt happing, so 2 Coach P, continue 2 play it by your rule, go Uconn

I think most people on this board forget how successful PP was at SU.

SU was a national player under PP. His teams could play with and beat anyone in the country. Anyone.

He accomplished more that RR did at WVU or Kelly did at SU or Petrino did at UofL.

He recruited guys who not only dominated at the collegiate level, but also at the NFL level.

If past history is anything to go on, UCONN will be playing and winning multiple BCS games over the next few years - and finishing in the top 10, not backing into a BCS game, getting blown out and ending up outside the top 30 at 8-5

Reaction Score
....that is if P has the success to warrant that tenure. I for one have been a fan of Pasqualoni and his style. He is not the flashiest guy (not that I want a guy like that), but I have no doubt in his sincerity or his love for his family and the school he represents. I think that is a combination that attracts bright student athletes, makes fans and alumni feel more at ease with the coach doing what is in the best interest of the university, and I think it also inspires every group in or around the football program to work on making it a success. Pasqualoni is a man that is loyal, hardworking, and as long as we don't forget that coaching successful teams requires some time, things will be brighter.

I think people are right to reserve judgement. A court case (that goes to trial) cannot be solved without deliberation, review, and presenting a convincing case, and an election cannot be won without winning over hearts and minds and the question often asked is, "are we better off now than we were when this guy took office.". I am willing to say that in the amount of time that Coach P has had, he has created more excitement and positive PR than I have witnessed before. He really makes you want to root for him.

Reaction Score
P should shave his head bald and go with the Bruce Willis look . He would look 10 years younger and this nonsense of him being too old would go away. I'm saying this as someone who has successfully shaved away the gray. It works.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

HuskyfanDan sort of took care of this post for me, but let me add that we kept a 1,000+ yard rusher in check (Bailey), they had by far the best quarterback on the field (Nassib), arguably the best reciever on the field that day (Lemon 150+ yds; double of anyone on UConn), and the best tight end (Provo; even though I love Griffin, Provo was dominating that game). Oh, and by the way, defensive end Chandler Jones was the second highest draft pick out of the Big East this year (second only to Irvin from WVU).

So yeah, that's my definition of competitive. I'm going to go throw up now, because you made me defend those bastards from central NY. I will take solace in the fact that we have owned them over the last decade, so that should keep my food down...:confused:

Reaction Score
When I heard Coach P come up as a possible choice it seemed like the best route to go. Having grown sick of the is he staying or is he going coaching drama of Edsall, I wanted someone who was going to stay here and take us up a notch recruiting wise. The first year results were tough but the team was in a rebuilding senario due to all the skill position losses. We could have went into a shell and tried to get wins the old way but the staff made an effort to win by going after it. I'm looking forward to the type of ball we play now. We got a very experienced guy at the helm and not someone who was a roll of the dice and he is a Connecticut guy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought the Pitt game was an unmitigated disaster and the team looked like it quit, which can happen in college football. It is such a game of emotions that young players have trouble turning it around when a game goes against them.

Other than that, I thought Pasqualoni was pretty good during the season.

Reaction Score
P should shave his head bald and go with the Bruce Willis look . He would look 10 years younger and this nonsense of him being too old would go away. I'm saying this as someone who has successfully shaved away the gray. It works.

I think P should gain some more weight and then he would look just like Norman Mailer.

Reaction Score
I too was originally hoping for Tom Bradley...then when McGee's name entered the picture I thought he was the guy. The pipe dream of Rich Rod or Mike Leach wasn't going to happen under Hathaway so I didn't bother to think about that for more than a quick second. When P was hired I had a wait and see approach hoping he would be all in because he is a CT guy...a lot happier than if Hathaway had hired Whipple. I actually thought this was a hold the fort kind of hire...the so called safe hire. I promised myself I would give him at least 3 years before completely judging him. Jury is still out for me on the field...but I saw a lot of things scheme wise that with the right talent (which he and his staff seem to be able to recruit) would make things happen. This season will be a 8 win seasaon...next year will be the true proof.

Reaction Score
Coach P has ON PAPER, significantly improved our recruiting prowess in a very short 15 months.

Agreed. Things have been encouraging since the close of the '11 season. Now . . . fans need to see improvement on the field. Last season was awful. Need to win more than 5 games. Need a "benchmark/signature" win (an NC State win will offer a lot more "currency" than a win over Buffalo). Oh and while I'm at it . . . some exciting football, particularly on offense and perhaps through the air. : )

Reaction Score

as someone that's chosen to maintain his ever-graying coif, i think you're a coward for shaving it;), and i hope P grows his hair long a la Rob Ryan.

i don't see how age is a mark against him at all. if anything i see it as a positive. he's got experience and connections that come with his age, and more importantly, he's not looking to go anywhere else. P's not that old, he can likely coach another 10 years and still retire at a 72. is there anyone else we could have hired with a great chance to keep for ten years if he's very successful?

Reaction Score
I thought the Pitt game was an unmitigated disaster and the team looked like it quit, which can happen in college football. It is such a game of emotions that young players have trouble turning it around when a game goes against them.

Other than that, I thought Pasqualoni was pretty good during the season.

they could have very easily folded against Cinci, and i had a really hard time coming back to the game after halftime, but they really fought it out and played a great second half

Reaction Score
The 2013 season is what will make or break it for me as far as Coach P. When I first heard he was being considered I silently crossed my fingers and hoped. A Connecticut guy who had success in the Big East and coached on "America's Team" in the NFL. The 2013 season should show a much more polished product and beating Michigan could catapult us into or near a top 25 ranking. Being ranked is what will get fannies in the seats and that electricity that winners generate will make fall in Connecticut very pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom