Coach P keeping a poker face on naming our starter at QB... | The Boneyard

Coach P keeping a poker face on naming our starter at QB...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...til "...August 30th..."
(c/o espn CFB Rumor Central)

June 14, 2012
Has UConn picked starting QB?

4:39PM ET
Connecticut Huskies

Chandler Whitmer was the star of the Connecticut Huskies spring game, but it wasn't enough to win him the team's starting quarterback job -- at least, not publicly. Has UConn coach Paul Pasqualoni decided on Whitmer as his starter? Desmond Conner of the Hartford Courant says that even if Pasqualoni has made up his mind, he probably won't announce his starter for some time.
"Johnny McEntee looked good at times in the spring," Conner writes. "I thought Michael Nebrich became a much better pocket guy. Scott McCummings looked good doing some new things before he got hurt that makes him more a complete guy. Casey Cochran is young but he had good days. ... I don't, however, see the benefit of naming a starter within the first two weeks; though they may know -- it's a safe bet we won't know officially until Aug.30."
- Vince Verhei

Reaction Score
Barring some shocking improvement from McEntee or Nebrich, the starter will be Whitmer. I can't get the picture out of my head of how receivers suddenly looked open when he was in there. the same receivers against the same defenders were covered like a blanket when everyone else was playing. Timing makes a huge difference.

Reaction Score
...til "...August 30th..."
(c/o espn CFB Rumor Central)
don't, however, see the benefit of naming a starter within the first two weeks; though they may know -- it's a safe bet we won't know officially until Aug.30."
- Vince Verhei

i wouldn't read too much into it. Dez printed an interview a week or so ago that quoted P saying he'd like to declare a starter as soon as possible, but that it was more important to get it right than to get it fast. he definitely said he'd like to name one as soon as possible though. regardless of whether it's "official", i think we'll know the starter well before August 30th

Reaction Score
Towards the end of the spring game CW was in and he dropped back to pass. One of the receivers (walk on I think, because I had never seen his name before) caught my eye at the snap and I saw him run his entire route. He found a seem and CW had looked off of a couple options. CW laid the pass into that receiver about 2o yards down field right as he broke and the ball hit him right on his shoulder pad. Ball was dropped, but that was entirely on the receiver. It was a terrific read and throw.

I thought CW looked very good in that scrimmage and I did not think any of the other QBs were even close. I'm hoping it was no fluke and that we have a guy that can make the reads and the throws. Kid also did some running during the scrimmage and to my eye looked plenty fast. Really have my fingers crossed, because it would be huge to have good to great QB play.....like 9-10 wins huge......

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
General rule of thumb is JC all-american QBs are usually better than unproven FBS QBs. I expect CW to win the job, but there is no harm in waiting for fall.

Let's just stay off the QB carousel once the season starts. I'd prefer to limit the wildcat to short yardage, but I expect to be disappointed on that one.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Coach P makes his starting QB decision based upon who will maximize spite towards certain boneyard posters, rather than who he believes will give his team the best chance to win. ;)

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Towards the end of the spring game CW was in and he dropped back to pass. One of the receivers (walk on I think, because I had never seen his name before) caught my eye at the snap and I saw him run his entire route. He found a seem and CW had looked off of a couple options. CW laid the pass into that receiver about 2o yards down field right as he broke and the ball hit him right on his shoulder pad. Ball was dropped, but that was entirely on the receiver. It was a terrific read and throw.

I thought CW looked very good in that scrimmage and I did not think any of the other QBs were even close. I'm hoping it was no fluke and that we have a guy that can make the reads and the throws. Kid also did some running during the scrimmage and to my eye looked plenty fast. Really have my fingers crossed, because it would be huge to have good to great QB play.....like 9-10 wins huge......

Is the tape of the spring game online somewhere?

Reaction Score
at the Spring game i thought he looked like the best of the 4 (or 5) by a mild margin, but after re-watching it on DVR he looked like he was playing a different game. i think he's going to get us 3000+ yards, and 8-9 wins. i won't be shocked by 10 considering our schedule. of course last year's schedule looked pretty easy preseason and ended up being pretty difficult

Reaction Score
I don't post hear often, but on this one I felt I could add something. One of the coach's who I am familiar with worked one of UCONN's recent one day camps and came back saving that Whitmer was more than likely to be the choice at quarterback. His further remarks were don't expect a huge improvement from what we already have seen. From my perspective, only watching the spring game on TV is that Whitmer has major elements in his game that we did not see last year. He seems to be accurate in his throws, he can run under pressure, and shows a feeling for the game. As Matt said based on our schedule we should win at least 8 games. I agree, I hope I'm right.

Reaction Score
Coach P makes his starting QB decision based upon who will maximize spite towards certain boneyard posters, rather than who he believes will give his team the best chance to win. ;)
Are you kidding me!!! You really thing Coach P reads these posts.
I've read some stupid things here, but that is just about the stupidest... ;)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Are you kidding me!!! You really thing Coach P reads these posts.
I've read some stupid things here, but that is just about the stupidest... ;)

Marty, you do realize that Frosty was kidding, right?? Hence, the smiley-wink. Please tell me you realized that. Otherwise, we'll have to re-visit your "stupid things here" statement.

Reaction Score
... His further remarks were don't expect a huge improvement from what we already have seen...
Thanks for the input chalk1... but I wonder what he meant by this comment (abovce). It can be interpreted in a few ways. Can u clarify?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the input chalk1... but I wonder what he meant by this comment (abovce). It can be interpreted in a few ways. Can u clarify?

Hopefully it means what we saw in the Spring Game and not what we saw last year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
at the Spring game i thought he looked like the best of the 4 (or 5) by a mild margin, but after re-watching it on DVR he looked like he was playing a different game.

He threw a better short ball in that game than we've seen in years. He put the ball on the correct side of the receiver. I can see not declaring starter just based on spring ball, but I'd prefer an announcement before August 30th.

Reaction Score
Marty, you do realize that Frosty was kidding, right?? Hence, the smiley-wink. Please tell me you realized that. Otherwise, we'll have to re-visit your "stupid things here" statement.
you did see that I put the wink at the end of my quote right...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
you did see that I put the wink at the end of my quote right...

I did, but I also saw the three exclamation points after the first sentence. You don't think that might have thrown me and other posters off a little? Well, it did, seeing as I wasn't the only one to comment on it.

Based on your latest post, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. My bad.

Reaction Score
while Whitmer's passes being more accurate, i think what set him apart most was his feel for the pocket. he rolled away from pressure and moved well in the pocket. his sense of the pocket just seemed much better which resulted in a lot more opportunities down field.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
while Whitmer's passes being more accurate, i think what set him apart most was his feel for the pocket. he rolled away from pressure and moved well in the pocket. his sense of the pocket just seemed much better which resulted in a lot more opportunities down field.

Actually, my take from the Spring game after watching it twice was that he was very good at releasing the ball after a 3-step drop. In other words, he didn't need to roll away from pressure because the ball was out of his hands. I'm not well versed in all of the nuances of a QB, but I like the fact that he might be the guy to take the pressure off of an untested OL by not hanging onto the ball until 8-Mississippi...

Reaction Score
I did, but I also saw the three exclamation points after the first sentence. You don't think that might have thrown me and other posters off a little? Well, it did, seeing as I wasn't the only one to comment on it.

Based on your latest post, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. My bad.
Thanks bro'!!!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Let's just stay off the QB carousel once the season starts. I'd prefer to limit the wildcat to short yardage,

I couldn't agree more on this. Once Coach P makes his decision on a starting QB I hope he sticks to it. I feel that the biggest thing we've been missing at the QB position isn't skill (even though that's part of it) it's continuity. It's gotta be tough on the offense to not know what QB is gonna be in the game. O-line doesn't know what way they'll need to block and WR's don't know how to run the route for each QB. I really think that having a set QB and sticking to it will help the offense. I hope they stick with one starter and occasionally throw in the wildcat as needed.

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree more on this. Once Coach P makes his decision on a starting QB I hope he sticks to it. I feel that the biggest thing we've been missing at the QB position isn't skill (even though that's part of it) it's continuity. It's gotta be tough on the offense to not know what QB is gonna be in the game. O-line doesn't know what way they'll need to block and WR's don't know how to run the route for each QB. I really think that having a set QB and sticking to it will help the offense. I hope they stick with one starter and occasionally throw in the wildcat as needed.
---------------------
Good point, but let's just hope that our starting QB doesn't GIVE Coach P a reason to make a move! If that happens, were all gonna b happy about what's goin down on the turf!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom