Coach Calhoun tidbits - long | The Boneyard

Coach Calhoun tidbits - long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I had the opportunity to attend a corporate event tonight where Coach Calhoun was the main speaker.....thought I would relay some of his thoughts (some of it is the same as his radio gigs last week)

First off, he was getting around fairly well, seems like the hip is progressing. I was amazed at how comfortable he was and open & honest with everyone....so casual.

He doesn't think the NCAA will exist in 5 years. He said, " I did the math, there are only 110 team that want to spend money to compete"...its all going to get blown up.

He fully thinks UConn will be alright... I dont think its just blind faith, he really thinks it will be fine. He readily admits that UConn got caught with its pants down. The disdain for the "previous administration" was evident.

He was talking about cable boxes and markets and rating, etc....he knows whats going on.
He said if Maryland gets even a small win in their lawsuit, it starts up again.

He named Virginia and GTech specifically as 2 schools that he thinks will move

He thinks the C-7 did the right thing for them, no ill will there.

Someone asked about his all time starting 5...he says, its starts with Emeka, then Caron, then Ray....and then he went on a tangent and never came back...I was laughing on the inside

Said Taliek and Deron were the most under appreciated players on his teams.

His recollection of numbers is amazing. Knows the exact NBA salary of every one of his players, knows the total salaries of all his UConn guys ( he said over $900MM). He remembers conference records from random years. I told him I was at UConn starting in '93...he replies, " those were some great years, 16-2, 16-2, 17-1 with Ray, nobody will do that again"

He thinks the current talent level is not where it needs to be. Said that only Shabazz and DeAndre could play on his 2004 team for example....

Also said that he might have a random coaching opportunity coming up that he asked us to keep quiet..which seemed weird since he just told 5 strangers...but anyway...it caught me offguard

Best part....when asked about Kentucky, he says something like..." Susan would never let me do that....I'm going to bring in 5 studs for 1 semester, she wouldn't buy into that, and I'll tell you another thing, I'll bet all those kids at UK have 4.0's, its crap"

The he says the difference between Pitino and Calipari is ..."Rick is a bull*hitter that actually believes his own bull*hit, John is a bull*itter who openly knows he is selling you bull*hit and doesn't care

just my thoughts from a fun evening.

Reaction Score
His recollection of numbers is amazing.
This isn't the Calhoun I grew up with!

He thinks the current talent level is not where it needs to be. Said that only Shabazz and DeAndre could play on his 2004 team for example....
Very true.

Also said that he might have a random coaching opportunity coming up that he asked us to keep quiet...
I hope it's high school or something... I'd hate to see him on the sideline for any other university.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Thanks for the report. The quote about Calipari is great. It's great because it's close to what I was thinking earlier about that quote from the squid about how what a shame it would have been if his team had won (okay, if the other team had lost). Sounded classy to the poster, sounded like total BS to me. He's a lying used car salesman who's hit the motherlode by somehow hitching his wagon to the devil. I mean "devil" in a vague, general way as opposed to saying that WWW is the devil, which I have no real idea about one way or another. Perhaps sleaze just pays.

Let's all keep quiet about that random coaching gig.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's always been very open in these settings - he's a great speaker. That said, if Calhoun gives you a number, it's wrong. It's probably in the ballpark of being right, but it's almost certainly wrong. If you asked him for his phone number, he probably miss it by a few digits - it's part of his charm.

However, if he asks people to keep something quiet and they post it on a message board, that's just bad form.

Reaction Score
His recollection of numbers is amazing. Knows the exact NBA salary of every one of his players, knows the total salaries of all his UConn guys ( he said over $900MM)

I hope that's because he's been tallying up potential contributions from them to the new practice facility in his honor that have yet to be announced ;)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Great report Dennis.

I thought JC almost went to the Wizards once.

Reaction Score
Lets keep the coaching thing between us yarders and close blood relatives.

Reaction Score
I had the opportunity to attend a corporate event tonight where Coach Calhoun was the main speaker.....thought I would relay some of his thoughts (some of it is the same as his radio gigs last week)

He fully thinks UConn will be alright... I dont think its just blind faith, he really thinks it will be fine. He readily admits that UConn got caught with its pants down. The disdain for the "previous administration" was evident.

What do you think he means by...."alright"? Alright in America 12? Alright in another league?

He was talking about cable boxes and markets and rating, etc....he knows whats going on.

Can you elaborate? Was he talking about our market/ratings and why it is valuable?

He say where he thought they were moving to?

Best part....when asked about Kentucky, he says something like..." Susan would never let me do that....I'm going to bring in 5 studs for 1 semester, she wouldn't buy into that, and I'll tell you another thing, I'll bet all those kids at UK have 4.0's, its crap"

YES

The he says the difference between Pitino and Calipari is ..."Rick is a bull*hitter that actually believes his own bull*hit, John is a bull*itter who openly knows he is selling you bull*hit and doesn't care

AWESOME.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Too funny. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction Score
Lets be honest. If 5 1 and done's wanted to come to Uconn no one is going to send them elsewhere. Drummond was 1 and done. Thats a BS comment by JC.

Reaction Score
Lets be honest. If 5 1 and done's wanted to come to Uconn no one is going to send them elsewhere. Drummond was 1 and done. Thats a BS comment by JC.

What in Calhoun's tenure suggested he favored the one and done approach? His recruiting barely went after the consensus top recruits compared to Calipari who signs 4-6 each year. He made his career going after guys ranked in the 25-50 range and under the radar types. This continued even after winning NCAA titles and putting multiple guys in the lottery. Drummond was from CT and in Calhoun's 25 yrs at UConn it's his only one and done.

That's a BS comment by you.

Reaction Score
If JC coached 10 more years he would have a few one and dones but that's just the nature of the game now. Doesn't mean he had to like it or strive for that.

Reaction Score
In theory, Rudy and CV could have been one and dones. Or if Bynum had shed his baby fat a few months later and came to us first. But then again, we'll never know if Drummond would have stayed a second year had we been eligible.

But the overriding point is that we've never built a system designed around them. Kentucky has the system down - come in, take these credits at these times so you don't hurt our APR and bolt after the season. Rinse and repeat. I can't blame them for it. They gamed the system to get an advantage.

Personally, I know I'd hate the Kentucky system. Every one of our titles involved a building process where guys improve, maybe get motivated by a near miss or a ball stuck in a rim or an NIT year. That process is part of the fun. Cleansing your roster every year and learning to like some new guys for a few months, I just don't see the journey being the same doing it their way. Sure we have Nadav and Cuse has Melo, so the occasional shooting star can be a legend, but that's one guy in a memorable season - not a half dozen every year.

Reaction Score
My point is that if the#1 and #2 players wanted to come to Uconn they would be at Uconn, no questions asked.

Reaction Score
My point is that if the#1 and #2 players wanted to come to Uconn they would be at Uconn, no questions asked.
No doubt about it. I would have to say almost every coach in the country would take five top 15 recruits every year but there is only a select few who can get it done.

Reaction Score
man i love Coach Calhoun, so honest with is answers and doesn't care what anyone thinks of him...maybe blaney retires and calhoun jumps in????

That way ollie can keep to coaching and calhoun can keep to yelling at the refs!

Reaction Score
If JC coached 10 more years he would have a few one and dones but that's just the nature of the game now. Doesn't mean he had to like it or strive for that.

Great info over all, but would a board mod delete what JC wanted to be kept private? Good stuff, over all.

Reaction Score
He's always been very open in these settings - he's a great speaker. That said, if Calhoun gives you a number, it's wrong. It's probably in the ballpark of being right, but it's almost certainly wrong. If you asked him for his phone number, he probably miss it by a few digits - it's part of his charm.

However, if he asks people to keep something quiet and they post it on a message board, that's just bad form.

Agree on both points, the numbers and coaching

...thats why I wont say where he was talking about coaching, thats the part he asked to keep quiet about......but his"never say never" thing has been on the radio and tv during interviews....he didnt care about the possibility of getting into it again, thats no secret

Reaction Score
I appreciate the insights- but be careful about repeating things that coach or the school wants to keep quite- I have held back info for that very reason many times. No biggie but but be careful about what info you disseminate moving forward.

Reaction Score

What do you think he means by...."alright"? Alright in America 12? Alright in another league?.....NOT in America 12, he doesnt think A12 will last

Can you elaborate? Was he talking about our market/ratings and why it is valuable?...talked about Rutgers, then about us, 14th in bball markets, 30tt overall....1.4MM tv sets or something. nothing new, just that population and how 80 cents per tv sets adds up

He say where he thought they were moving to?.....nope

Reaction Score
I appreciate the insights- but be careful about repeating things that coach or the school wants to keep quite- I have held back info for that very reason many times. No biggie but but be careful about what info you disseminate moving forward.

fair enough, I definitely wouldn't have posted it if I thought I was betraying his trust.....the conversation went something like this.

a guy asks, will you ever get back into coaching? He answers..."My agent and I get calls all the time but it would have to be perfect, I'm actually going to talk to XXXXX next week about an opportunity, but lets keep that part quiet. I've always said never say never, I've had NBA teams call, etc... but it would have to be right"

the part about getting back into coaching isnt a secret....i wouldnt divulge who he's talking to...but if a mod thinks thats too much...feel free to take about that part

no issues here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32