Clingan on the bench game after game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clingan on the bench game after game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks Clingan would’ve done a better job than Sanogo obviously wasn’t watching the same game. Sanogo was the mvp of that game for us. Clingan was fine in his limited minutes against the backup, but we were also generating offense for him as opposed to Sanogo generating offense for us.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What was wrong with the D today that Clingan would’ve made a major difference? D was decent. If the question is should Clingan get more time generally , maybe. If the question is what difference would it have made today and who would sit if he plays more with Sanogo, and presumably Karaban, would that open up Hawkins, would Hawkins have had more and better looks, would Newton have played better, would Jackson get far less time and if so who would be best able to facilitate getting more points for the two bigs. I think we lost because we had bad guard play not because Clingan didn’t play more. We will never know, but Clingan in the game does affect who doesn’t play and whether or not the trade off gives a better chance to defend or score and whether or not maybe it’s a wash. We lose a close game on the road to a good team, maybe by the length of Hawkins’s big toe when our guards were terrible on O. We missed a lot of open shots and that isn’t a coach’s fault. And Jackson has to be one of the most confounding players of all time.

pj

Reaction Score
Question 2: Just take a look at Samson's stats when he's played

I don't get the point. Clingan vs Samson:
  • Rebounds per 40 minutes: Clingan 18.5, Samson 8.0
  • Points per 40 minutes: Clingan 22.7, Samson 14.7
  • Blocks per 40 minutes: Clingan 5.7, Samson 0.0

How does looking at Samson's stats challenge a claim that Clingan should play more?

Reaction Score
There is no reason why Sanogo and Clingan can’t play on the floor together. None. This tunnel vision is killing us. Sanogo can play the four. He guards out the the three point line and is one of our best three point shooters (/s?). Put a line up of Clingan, Sanogo, Karaban, Hawkins, and Newton out there.

We are a predicable team.

Karaban is great and plays the 4. You wanna bench him?

Reaction Score
I don't get the point. Clingan vs Samson:
  • Rebounds per 40 minutes: Clingan 18.5, Samson 8.0
  • Points per 40 minutes: Clingan 22.7, Samson 14.7
  • Blocks per 40 minutes: Clingan 5.7, Samson 0.0

How does looking at Samson's stats challenge a claim that Clingan should play more?
Question 2 was why isn't Samson playing

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
aaaaannnndddd ......
here we are!
folks demanding more time for donno,
folks realizing ajax can't score
folks realizing that becuz he can't shoot, it allows the d to sag and screw up the paint,
folks realizin that danny has never won an away at a ranked team
(and since the rest of the schedule does not present an opportunity for this, well, cross this season off the list to do it. what's that, 5 years?)
folks realizin that we have a putrid guard bench.
folks realizing that in game danny is usually out of his league.
so much for Big East regular season champs, too. toss that lockeroom cardboard cutout away.
notsomuch looneybin yelling lately, so progress on that.

we covered all these potential, yet now real issues preseason.....
the one unexpected development is danny completely screwing up the tris thing. with our team, we max potential by playing free and easy. we're not a 'block and tackle squad.' yet, after a few games of being the breeze team, danny slaps the shackles back on tris, cuz 'he soo smart
and accomplished (cough, stroke) in winning the big game on the road' that he decided that wasn't good enough, and went back to 'nobody move without my approval!' danny thinking.
'danny thinking' - alleyne and diarra on the floor in crunch time- insane!
newt got like 5 shots. hard to shoot when one eye is glued to danny, and the other is glued to anyone not named him to jack the ball.
some spiritual types yak aboot 'third eyes' but that's baloney.
nobody has three eyes.

Reaction Score
Are there any opinions as to what other Big East coaches think when they watch our games and this is what they see? 7 minutes 7 rebounds. Help defense is not happening unless he is in the lane. Otherwise it is take what you want in the lane. I would bet the opposing coaches are high 5 ing the ongoing stubbornness by DH. And could a reporter get info as to why Samson, otherwise known as Sampson on this board, is not seeing the floor?

He should transfeto a lay for a coach who would highlight his talents. Hurley is a spazz.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks Clingan would’ve done a better job than Sanogo obviously wasn’t watching the same game. Sanogo was the mvp of that game for us. Clingan was fine in his limited minutes against the backup, but we were also generating offense for him as opposed to Sanogo generating offense for us.
He would've complimented AS, not substituted for him. Karaban played 35 minutes - most on the team. DC could've spelled him for 10 minutes. Karaban wasnt scoring much because he and Hawk were hounded by Jackson's defender who was playing off AJ. I'll say it for a 3rd time...4 points, 7 boards and a block in 7 minutes. He is our rim protector.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Andre Jackson grabs a bunch of rebounds, plays elite defense, doesn’t do anything else, “Kid sucks, bench him.”

Donovan Clingan grabs a bunch of rebounds, plays pretty good defense, doesn’t do anything else, “Put him in the starting lineup.”

I know I shouldn’t be surprised, but cmon guys.

Reaction Score
Bench Jackson.... play a Sanogo, Clingan and AK together. Gives Hawkins more perimeter space. Just need to find a solid ball handler and passér with them. Not Jackson. Newton is my hope.

Reaction Score
He is a fine player. He also needs to look for his shot more, perhaps using good picks and also drive and finish at the hoop. Eight to 12 shots per game minimum.

Reaction Score
Andre Jackson grabs a bunch of rebounds, plays elite defense, doesn’t do anything else, “Kid sucks, bench him.”

Donovan Clingan grabs a bunch of rebounds, plays pretty good defense, doesn’t do anything else, “Put him in the starting lineup.”

Your post wasn't very worthy. Just snitty. On offense Jackson doesn't draw any defenders making the game harder for everyone else. Clingan draws multiple defenders making the game easier for everyone else. We own the paint with him in the game and he draws fouls. How stupid that anyone should point this out and want him on the court. Creighton beat a more capable team because their coach reinforced a game plan to take advantage of Jackson's offensive weaknesses and Hurley's stubborness. They both took the bait and we lost. I think your snitty post is dead wrong.

pj

Reaction Score
Question 2 was why isn't Samson playing

OK, but Clingan has a better claim to more minutes than Samson, so the reason Samson isn't playing is probably the same as the reason Clingan isn't playing more.

Reaction Score
Really the wrong question and exactly why Danny will be a perpetual runner up…he doesn’t know how to maximize the tools at his disposal. Record in close games says alll you need to know.

Reaction Score
Jackson does not play elite defense. Lets stop that right now. His man upfakes and drives by him every game. He is so eager for the big play he leaves himself open to being exploited constantly. I would put a lineup of AS, DC ,Hawk, AK, and Newton or Diarra on the floor each half and see what happens. Maybe exchange NA for AK depending on matchups. We gave up 3-4 layups today because we had no one defending in the lane with Donovan on the bench. Hurley standing on sideline with arms folded across his chest. Tunnel vision.

Reaction Score
I was told the Spurs couldn’t draft Tim Duncan because of David Robinson that worked out pretty well didn’t it.

Reaction Score

Context.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Bench Jackson.... play a Sanogo, Clingan and AK together. Gives Hawkins more perimeter space. Just need to find a solid ball handler and passér with them. Not Jackson. Newton is my hope.
That is the Jackson problem on this team. You have to hope Newton can do some of the good Jackson things. If Jackson could shoot 40% from the floor, few would be going nuts over Clingan playing time.

My biggest problem with coaching on this team is Jackson. Even with his crap shooting, he still penetrates a lot but rarely pushes the issue to try and draw fouls and he is an ok foul shooter. Not to mention he has to be guarded as he heads toward the basket and that means less double teaming if someine else. He is so strong and explosive and shifty but it amounts to pretty much zilch for his scoring contribution. Seems to me that should be a point of emphasis with him in game prep. He does so many good things but they are pretty much negated by his lousy point production.

Reaction Score
No offense but that’s a stupid post. Sanogo kept us in the game today.
We lost, fella. That’s what matters. Not Sanogo’s line. Plus Sanogo gave away a load of points holding the ball too long, missing forced shots, failing to provide help on D, not boxing out, and nowhere to be found on the O boards because he was looking for 3s.

Reaction Score
Jackson does not play elite defense. Lets stop that right now. His man upfakes and drives by him every game. He is so eager for the big play he leaves himself open to being exploited constantly. I would put a lineup of AS, DC ,Hawk, AK, and Newton or Diarra on the floor each half and see what happens. Maybe exchange NA for AK depending on matchups. We gave up 3-4 layups today because we had no one defending in the lane with Donovan on the bench. Hurley standing on sideline with arms folded across his chest. Tunnel vision.
This. He's a disruptor, which while very useful at times, is not necessary good defense. He CAN play good defense, and often does, but he just as often takes unnecessary risks and gives back whatever he gained. If he were more disiplined, it would be a different story, on all aspects of his game, but he's not. He's also more fragile with his confidence than I expected him to be. I'm hoping he gets there next year, because this year we say "if only" about Ajax way too much. I really think right now he needs to be a bench player (granted the first or second off the bench) for energy and that disruption when it's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom